HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been delivered to this forum after having a problem!

I began my HK journey when CC passed in Wisconsin. I handled and shot several guns to find my perfect CC gun. It will come as no surprise to you that I decided on a HK. What a wonderful gun! I bought a new USP Compact 9mm V1 from BudsGunShop.com. I got a very good price!

After shooting a few hundred rounds, I decided I wanted to have the safety/decocker moved to the other side (I am a lefty). I did some searching and discovered that I just needed the USP Compact Safety Control Lever For Right Side. For Variant 2, 6 & 10. so I ordered the part from HKParts.net. I took my gun and the new control lever to my local gunsmith. I thought about trying to do the work myself. I decided that it would be better to let a pro do the work.

After 2 days, I called my gunsmith. He indicated that he was able to take down the gun, insert the new part, and reassemble the gun. Unfortunatley, the safetly/decocker didn't work. To make a very long story short, he was able to get the lever functional (after some custom fitting) but it did not work very well. The control lever action was not smooth at all. My gunsmith offered to send the gun and control lever to HK to have them do the work. He also ordered new parts to replace the parts he modified in process of fitting the control lever.

HK told him not to bother sending the gun in!!!! They told him that the gun was never really designed for the safety to be on the right side. Even if he sent it in, the control lever action would not be the same as it was when when the safety/decocker was on the left side.

What should I do? Is this typical of HK service? One of the reasons I bought this gun is that I would be able to equip it with a right-sided safety!

Thanks for helping a newbie!!!!

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
The left side (V1) lever has mechanical advantage over the detent plate because it is closer, and when you move the control lever to the right side (V2), you are distancing it further from the detent plate making the lever harder to operate.

Lightly polishing the "hump" on the inside of the detent plate that makes contact with the sear axle is usually successful in smoothing function of the control lever.

·
Registered
467 Posts
The left side (V1) lever has mechanical advantage over the detent plate because it is closer, and when you move the control lever to the right side (V2), you are distancing it further from the detent plate making the lever harder to operate.

Lightly polishing the "hump" on the inside of the detent plate that makes contact with the sear axle is usually successful in smoothing function of the control lever.
I agree with H&K 4 life, this is a pretty common occurrence with the HK decocking system....I have seen many like this over the years. The detent slide and spring sometimes contribute to the problem.
FWIW:

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
As a southpaw myself I have converted a few to V2 myself. I have never had to modify anything and as far as it being a little harder to move. A small amount of grease on the detent plate and it is smooth.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
As a southpaw myself I have converted a few to V2 myself. I have never had to modify anything and as far as it being a little harder to move. A small amount of grease on the detent plate and it is smooth.
Excellent point. A little lubrication might be all that is required to restore smooth function of the control lever.

To the OP, try this before doing anything else.

·
Registered
18,641 Posts
I'd be leery about what parts were modified by the gunsmith to make the lever work, well, sort of work. I'd try what others have suggested above and replace the parts that he had modified. I'd rather err on the side of caution.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
When I first installed my V2 lever the safety worked great, but decocking was a bit of a pain. After thumbing back the hammer and decocking a few hundred times, it smoothed out significantly.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
That does not sound typical of HK service. I would not take your gunsmiths word on what HK said, that is if he in fact did call them. I would call HK myself.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That does not sound typical of HK service. I would not take your gunsmiths word on what HK said, that is if he in fact did call them. I would call HK myself.
I have used this gunsmith before...however, I also doubt that he would get this response from HK service. After I get the gun back, I would like someone else to perform the service. Should I just go to HK or is there an easy way to find an HK armorer?

Thanks!

·
Registered
352 Posts
You should be able to track down an H&K approved repair center from their website. A few years back I took a gun(not an H&K) to a local smith & I ended up doing better myself. I got the gun back in a parts bag & was able to put it back together with online help.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am interested in trying to install the part myself. I am reasonably mechanically inclined but...Is there a detailed guide or video? Or should I just send it to HK?
I really appreciate the assistance of everyone. Thanks!

·
Registered
18,641 Posts
I am interested in trying to install the part myself. I am reasonably mechanically inclined but...Is there a detailed guide or video? Or should I just send it to HK?
I really appreciate the assistance of everyone. Thanks!
If you want to try it yourself, look at these 2 guides. Just follow the instructions up to the part where you remove the safety lever. You can also search for Carrera's video on HK45c LEM installation.

LEM installation: http://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-reference-library/63079-lem-installation-instructions.html
LEM installation with safety lever: http://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-reference-library/63083-usp-c-lem-safety-instructions.html

Basically:
1. Remove the lanyard loop + hammer spring
2. Remove the detent plate
3. Remove the sear axle + sear + catch + disconnector
4. Remove the safety lever
5. Install the right-side safety lever
6. Follow steps 3 to 1 in reverse

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just installed a v2 lever on my usp compact the other day. If your in the fox valley area I could give you a hand
Thanks!!!!

I actually live south of Stevens Point. However, I am certainly willing to travel a couple of hours if we can get it done right away. I still need to get my gun back from the gunsmith. When I get my gun back, I will contact you.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Grease worked for me

I concur with 01deuce. My USPc is a factory variant 2. Had to send it back to HK. It absolutely would not decock from the fire position. From safe, yes. Got it back and still extremely stiff and difficult from the fire position. Greased the detent plate. Problem solved.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts