HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love my P30 V3 and P30sk V3 hands down, I shoot very well. Now, I am in the market for a HK45C and I have not been to big of a fan of how the Safety lever feels on that pistol. I can obviously just train around so that but, should I to keep it consistent with my other two HK's being DA/SA ? Or should I try the LEM trigger out ? The LEM would not have that safety lever there to rub on my thumb during recoil, at least I feel it would do that by the way it feels in my hand while holding it. Thanks for any feedback as always my fellow HKPRO Brothers!

·
Registered
485 Posts
I have the Light LEM Trigger on my 45c. The trigger is great as I have no need for a safety and the consistant trigger pull is what I enjoy

·
Registered
619 Posts
Am I the only MFer in the room who understands your question? :confused:
You should be consistent. Make it V3 if you don't plan to go LEM with your P30s.
Otherwise you may forget to decock when you go back to one of your P30s.
That is if you plan to carry them all and you want to train with the same manual of arms.
Learn one system and be good at it.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
I love my P30 V3 and P30sk V3 hands down, I shoot very well. Now, I am in the market for a HK45C and I have not been to big of a fan of how the Safety lever feels on that pistol. I can obviously just train around so that but, should I to keep it consistent with my other two HK's being DA/SA ? Or should I try the LEM trigger out ? The LEM would not have that safety lever there to rub on my thumb during recoil, at least I feel it would do that by the way it feels in my hand while holding it. Thanks for any feedback as always my fellow HKPRO Brothers!
There would be a bunch of broken bones if people are gripping so high on the slide that the safety would hit you during firing. I've been bit in my webbing on a ppq, but never your concern.

·
Registered
711 Posts
V3 is different between the P series pistols and HK other pistols. You are wanting either a V1 or LEM. But I do understand your question. You will have to try LEM, it's the only way to know if you will like it.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Nothing wrong with what you're use too. I carry USP .45c v3 and p30 v3 at times. The decocker is just in a different spot on the gun. Your choice man. If you're use to a DA/SA decocker only go for it. The lever is frame mounted on the HK45c so it dose not move with the slide. Rubbing your thumb should not be an issue. If you go with the LEM it's not hard to get use to.

·
Registered
43 Posts
The thumb safety should not rub you. Your thumb should be on top of the safety, not under it, while firing. If you have your thumb under the safety, your grip is wrong.

That said, I strongly prefer LEM. Unlike the P series, you can always convert to/from LEM should you change your mind with an HK45c.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The thumb safety should not rub you. Your thumb should be on top of the safety, not under it, while firing. If you have your thumb under the safety, your grip is wrong.
I would LOVE to see a picture of how you grip your pistol in this way. This pic shows that my thumb would be BELOW my safety, if my P2000 had one.

·
Registered
974 Posts
I have one of my 45C's in LEM and the other in V1 (DA/SA). I like the feel of the LEM version better. I like the trigger on the V1 better. I wish the 45C had the rear decocker of the P-series...

·
Registered
43 Posts
I would LOVE to see a picture of how you grip your pistol in this way. This pic shows that my thumb would be BELOW my safety, if my P2000 had one.

Move your thumb up, it's that simple. This also creates the space needed for your support hand thumb. With a grip like yours, where do you put your support hand? Do you cross your thumbs? If you do, I strongly suggest rethinking your grip. See all that grip space behind the slide release? That's bad. Your grip should cover that.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Move your thumb up, it's that simple. This also creates the space needed for your support hand thumb. With a grip like yours, where do you put your support hand? Do you cross your thumbs? If you do, I strongly suggest rethinking your grip. See all that grip space behind the slide release? That's bad. Your grip should cover that.
I grip my pistol with the webbing of my hand buried tight into the top of the grip where my finger is pointing. If I move my thumb up it makes a portion of my palm release the grip. This is the way that I was taught in the Marine Corps and I qualified "Expert" with a pistol, so I must be doing something right. My left hand thumb stays tucked under my right hand thumb.

·
Registered
4,212 Posts
Converted my HK45C from DA/SA to Light LEM and love it.
You can always convert it back if you don't like it.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Light LEM is how I had HK convert my V1....I have all the V1 parts if wanted to go back, but LEM is my preferred trigger on hammer fired HKs

·
Registered
43 Posts
I grip my pistol with the webbing of my hand buried tight into the top of the grip where my finger is pointing. If I move my thumb up it makes a portion of my palm release the grip. This is the way that I was taught in the Marine Corps and I qualified "Expert" with a pistol, so I must be doing something right. My left hand thumb stays tucked under my right hand thumb.

I understand where you are coming from, as I used to use a similar grip. You can shoot accurately with it, but will get more horizontal deviation in your recoil due how low your hand is on the side.

Do a google search for "thumbs forward grip 1911" and you will see the grip I mention. I am hesitant to post a picture because this is an HK forum. Moving the thumb up may require you to drive your hand more into where you are pointing in the picture or maybe change the backstrap. You will have to roll your thumbs outboard to keep from riding the slide release.

If it's kosher to post a picture of a 1911, I'll take one when I can (none of my HKs have external safeties).

·
Banned
18,624 Posts
Kyohte said:
Putting your thumb on top of the Safety/Control Lever may decock the gun when live firing. But you already knew that, right?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Putting your thumb on top of the Safety/Control Lever may decock the gun when live firing. But you already knew that, right?
Yes, I expected this to come up sooner. I've even seen it happen. It is, in my opinion, the biggest design flaw HK made in the USP/45 series of pistol. Having a safety and decocker on the same pistol is a relic of the sue-happy late 80's and early 90's. Look at the S&W and Berretta autos of that time. At least HK didn't go full retard and put the safety/decocker on the slide (the slide mounted decocker makes more sense than a frame mounted decocker, though). Pretty much every other quality manufacturer other than Berretta has dropped the safety+decocker feature. I'm convinced Berretta will phase it out now that the M9 is being replaced.

The first thing I would do (if I didn't convert them to LEM) would be to change the selector plate to a safety. In fact, I have a few selector plates in the parts bin around in case I ever decide to remove the LEM or pick up a new USP/45 series pistol.

I'm not issued a pistol, therefore I won't sacrifice a good grip because of a particular pistol. Luckily, swapping to a useable variant of a USP or 45 series HK is simple. Honestly, if I could not change the decocker+safety on an HK, I wouldn't buy one. Just having the HK name on a pistol isn't going to make me shoot better.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I installed the LEM kit on my 45C, which I like better than the DA/SA. I installed it on my USPC, but configured it Light. As would be expected, the Light LEM is better to shoot.

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
All of my recent HK purchases have been LEM and I love the trigger system. That said I still own several classic DA/SA P and USP series pistols and I would highly recommend LEM. I seem to shoot both V1/V2 equally well and I now favor having no external safety controls on my EDC guns. Buy the LEM HK45C, shoot the hell out of it and all will be good.

Or at least that is what this MF thinks :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts