HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
993 Posts
Mine eats South African like it's going out of style. Zero malfunctions! I did change over the internals of mine to factory HK parts before I started shooting it alot.

·
Registered
390 Posts
The Lithuanian Surplus .308 from AIM is the best stuff out there by far at the current time. From my experience the South African ammo is under powered & not consistant when shooting full auto out of My HK51 but that does not mean it will not work fine in your V51. I have not had any real issues with the SA ammo but I do notice RPM differences between rounds & the ejection of the brass seems much weaker than other .308 that I use so I sold all that I had & replaced it with better .308 ammo & since I paid only $200 per 1000rounds a few years back I made out good. Out of the three you listed I would rate the Portuguese #1 the Malaysian #2 & the South African at the bottom at #3.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Not sure about Malaysian but Port and SA is good stuff

·
Registered
66 Posts
You may want to be careful with the SA stuff. I bought a case of it marked 8/83 and after 5-10 rounds if caused FTF and FTE in PTR 91 and HK 91. Apparently the powderis really dirty and clogs the flutes in the chamber. I gave 900 rounds away and replace it with Lake City. R&G is good stuff too. If the SA works for you go for it - just be cognizant of the dates. I haven't seen postings about the bad SA stuff for a awhile, so maybe its not an issue anymore.

·
Registered
589 Posts
You got a lot of SA ammo with that gummy sealer on it, I bet. Had the same problem. My PTR runs like a raped ape on Malaysian, however.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
How about India surplus? I'm seeing more and more of that.... Thanks again!
I've heard people give mixed reports on the later Indian surplus. A few OK and several bad. The earlier ammo- the 70s and early 80s, have better reports, supposedly because the British then ran the manufacturing process.
Personally I would not use the later stuff.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts