HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got my new vector rifle to the range today. I only got about 30 rounds through it (mixture Hornady SP and Lithuanian milsurp FMJ)before I had a failure to feed that required the services of a mallet and cleaning rod to get out. Almost bent the shell in half, and the bullet popped halfway out of its seat. This was one of the Hornady SPs.Had 4 failures to eject (both rounds) before that happened. Is this typical during the break-in period? I left all the grease inside the receiver as Vector instructs, and tried to clean the chamber thoroughly first since some grease had migrated there. I'm taking it back tonight to try to get another 100 rounds through. Comments?

If you can't tell from the picture the fit and finish are excellent. My only complaint is that there was a lot of machining dust/metal shavings inside the rear of the receiver where the buttstock mates. I cleaned it all out in about five seconds in my prefire inspection. Headspacing is excellent at 0.019 inches. I'll be very, very happy with it if it becomes more reliable. The Aimpoint Micro T-1 is also the finest piece of optics I've ever laid my hands on. Which it should be for $600.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well after another 100 rounds (same Hornady and Lith GGG, plus some Federal SP) the Vector is doing much better. Only one FTF, which was cleared in 2s, one failure to extract, and one failure to eject. I have high hopes now. Got the aimpoint zeroed at 25m. The iron sights were like 12 MOA off in windage but fixed that too. Turning out to be a great carbine, very light with moderate recoil and not too loud.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Have you made it to the range lately with the V51? How's it doing?

I have a V51 pistol on order and I am interested to hear more about your experiences. My V89 behaved nearly the same way as your 51 did out of the box. Now it's 100%.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have you made it to the range lately with the V51? How's it doing?

I have a V51 pistol on order and I am interested to hear more about your experiences. My V89 behaved nearly the same way as your 51 did out of the box. Now it's 100%.
I put another 40 rounds of Hornady match downrange today. The last 10 had some big dents halfway up the spent casings, and chewed up rims, finally had a failure to eject/doublefeed that was easily cleared. Tons of fouling got blown into the mag too. Not real sure what the problem was, but I switched to milsurp and fired off a mag no problem, no dents in the brass, still chewing up the rims. Maybe the Hornady wasn't cycling the bolt assembly far enough? The resident gun-fixer at the range thinks the bolt-carrier is still breaking in. I tend to agree. Overall trifling problems so far, and the standard G3 locking piece I have coming should alleviate the rim chewing, hopefully. The V51L has the 50 degree locking piece like the 8" barrel models, which provides VERY forceful extraction with a 16" barrel.

If anyone has any other ideas about the dented brass, I'd love to hear it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts