HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at getting a v53 or century c93 pistol to register as an SBR. I've read all the posts about mp5 stocks not working on account of the different buffer systems. My main question is that these 53 pistol versions look to have a basic metal or plastic cap on the end where the stock goes and none of them look like they've got much of a buffer in the cap at all. Does anyone have a 53 type pistol who can tell me if an mp5 stock could be made to work (I understand the different length of pull...).
Thanks

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
I've heard of people installing buffers into an MP5 stock. You have to remove the plate, drill a hole and screw the buffer in.

·
Registered
536 Posts
If you have the buffered carrier, which all the current c93 and c93 rifles had, then you can use a MP5 stock. You just need a buffer, either on te carrier or in the stock.

All of the Malay parts kits being used for current builds had buffered carriers. Hope this help.

·
Registered
10,251 Posts
I don't think it really matters. Terry Dyer told me the carrier doesn't even hit the buffered (or unbuffered) stock. I wondered about that back in the day, but the 223 guns do seem unusually smooth... mebbe they really don't hit at all.

·
Registered
6,399 Posts
Complicated question. Complicated answer. Put on your thinking cap...

There are different types of MP5 stocks. Some of them have no buffer (A2 stock). Some of them have a rubber "H" buffer (A3).

The problem with the V53, V93, and C93 guns is that they are all being built on the Malaysian kits. These kits have a buffered carrier. The buffered carrier has a little half-moon protrusion on the rear of the right side. So they are designed to have a flat metal plate to run into if they over-travel. An actual HK53 carrier has no metal buffer protruding from the back right side. So they are fairly harmless to buffers in stocks.

I have a V53 with the buffered carrier. Trying to use an actual HK53/93 stock with the little buffer disk in the rear would result in the gun cycling fast (bouncing, I suppose) and it wouldn't run well in FA. So I changed over to an MP5 A2 stock and that fixed the problem. No little plastic buffer for the carrier to bounce off of.

Later, I bought an actual HK53 carrier for about $400 (ouch) and that allows me to use my fancy smancy HK53 stocks, both A2 and A3.

Back to the point... you can very likely use your v53, or V93, or C93 with a standard MP5 A2 stock. Should work just fine. But if you try to use it with an expensive A3 stock with a rubber H buffer... you'll likely rip up the little rubber H buffer.

That's all I got for now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts