HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to the range yesterday with some buddies. There was a lot of sighting in going on by elk hunters and all getting ready for the season.

I took an AK and my Vector 93. Never did shoot the AK, but did finally get the scope on the V93 *nearly* dialed in. Due to the number of people shooting, I decided I would simply use a dirt clod on the berm to use as my sighting in target rather than a paper target. It would have been painful to continue to walk up and down range all day until it was right. I suspect there may be a couple of inches off of center to firm up if I get the chance, but the rifle ran flawlessly. The dirt clods on the berm were exploding with regularity firing from prone using the light bipod.

Like I said, I haven't had time to get it completely dialed in on paper.

What I find odd is that my buddy's AK shot about the same number of rounds but was much more filthy to clean up as compared to the V93. The gas system took a lot longer and the encrustations were much more difficult to remove on the AK. I think it was less than 20 minutes until the V93 was clean.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I find cleaning the opposite. I have a handful of each variety, my fingers are always black after cleaning the HKs. The AK gas pistons can be hard to get totally clean but I don't bother getting every speck of carbon off them as it really doesn't matter. I like Breakfree for cleaning both weapons.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I find cleaning the opposite. I have a handful of each variety, my fingers are always black after cleaning the HKs. The AK gas pistons can be hard to get totally clean but I don't bother getting every speck of carbon off them as it really doesn't matter. I like Breakfree for cleaning both weapons.

The difficult areas for me on the AK are the gas tube, gas block and the trunnion area. The piston I soak in Carbon Killer, and rub it down with bronze wool and it comes pretty clean. If you haven't tried them yet, you may wish to try the various brushes and such by E&L to help you clean your HK rifle? Boy they sure are a time saver for me.

What seemed remarkable to me was that the trunnion area on my PTR 91 in 308 caliber is nearly always sooty and coked up and needing much more TLC. It is more time consuming to get it clean than the V93, which usually is clean in a couple of patches around the trunnion area.

I wonder why that is? Just seems to blow less smuts into the receiver for some reason.

·
Registered
280 Posts
When I clean an AK it goes like this.

Field strip weapon.
Kock soot and crumbs from loose parts with a nylon brush (Harbor Freight).
Turn receiver over and dislodge any crud with a couple sharp raps to the under carraige.
Run a dry 20ga nylon bristle brush through the gas tube a couple times.
Jam an AR15 "pipe cleaner" down the barrel gas port to knock out any crud.
Run a .30cal bore brush up & down the bore a couple times with some sort of CLP or oil on it and then follow up with a couple clean patches.
Reassemble weapon and spray the BC, bolt and receiver rails with a shot of spray lithium grease.

Total time, way less than 10 minutes. :D

My 91s take a wee bit more time due to the sooty trunion areas and non chrome-lined barrels.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts