HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Previously: V94 = dud right out of the box (failure to extract and/or eject)
Then: sent to Vector - was told it was the ammo & they allegedly replaced the ejector lever.

Still fails to eject: Adam Weber sends over extractor, extractor spring and ejector lever. The lever actually fits in the lower trigger group, but doesn't allow the bolt to go back all the way. So much for Vector being fully interchangeable with HK.

Then: went to range w/ HK OEM extractor and spring (w/o ejector lever). = Still refuses to eject more than a round or two before failing. This time the gun fails spectacularly = the bolt actually runs over the ejector lever and locks up the gun so as to require disassembly to fix. (Happens 2x w/i 50 rnds.)

So. now it appears clear that the spacing between the bolt group and trigger group is way out of spec. - back to Vector AGAIN. This could explain the failure to eject as well right?

To add insult to injury - another guy at the range had the Coharie 9mm MP5 and it was pipping along fine. I was actually talked out of the 9mm by Chris at Lanworld who said the Vector was the better weapon.

Adam says if I replace the trigger pack ($500.00) AND the bolt group ($800+) it will work great. (He must have kids in college)

I'll keep you posted.

David

·
Registered
732 Posts
This is a sad experience, but Vector should make this right. Or simply tell them you want your money back as it doesn't work.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Sounds like the ejector lever just needs trimmed to fit. Your carrier is getting "high centered" on the lever. Jayson at I.G.F. told me to trim the front of the lever, where it contacts the spent casing. Use your old lever for a guide to start, trim it long, install it. Then cycle the carrier and watch thru the ejection port/mag well to see if it contacts the carrier. Make adjustments. It's really easy.

·
Premium Member
2,470 Posts
You shouldn't need to trim anything! The original ejector lever that Adam sent you should not be ground down to match the old one because that would make it just like the one that's not working correctly! Make Vector fix it correctly or spend the $ to have one of the better smiths fix it for you. Welcome to the clone world.

A couple of things to look for are trigger pack height, extractor spring and extractor. And finally the ejector.
Clear weapon.
Pull charging handle to rear slowly while looking into the ejection port. As the face of the bolt reaches the rear of the ejection port watch for the ejector lever to protrude from the face of the bolt head. When the face of the ejector and the bolt are flush the ejector should be nearly touching the top of the slot inside the bolt head. If it is low or completely out of the slot the trigger pack shelf is to low.

Remove bolt group from the weapon. Observe the extractor, is the claw chipped or broken, see if you can wiggle it side to side and up and down against the spring. If it moves with moderate force, a: the spring is defective, b: the extractor is defective or c: both. If all seems well insert a live round into the bolt head behind the extractor in the firing position. If the extractor and spring hold the round in place the spring is good and should work properly. Note, buy extra springs, you will need them.

Don't dis Adam, he's great a guy selling a great product with a reputation that's the best. He gets the money for the parts because the market says they are worth it. You will not go wrong with his advice but you may also be able to get your gun running without having to spend that much if you should decide to work on it yourself.

·
Registered
179 Posts
dry dry dry

Be SURE your chamber is completely dry and free of that goopy white grease. I had same problem and thought my chamber was clean but there was a tiny bit of grease. Tolerances are very tight and even the slightest bit will not allow ejection. Bill Springfield is the one to turn me on to that...seriously clean and dry.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Be SURE your chamber is completely dry and free of that goopy white grease. I had same problem and thought my chamber was clean but there was a tiny bit of grease. Tolerances are very tight and even the slightest bit will not allow ejection. Bill Springfield is the one to turn me on to that...seriously clean and dry.

Thanks, but when the bolt runs over the ejector lever and jams the gun to the point that it needs to be stripped to clear - I think it's a bit more serious than grease on the parts (though I have long since cleaned that off anyway)

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You shouldn't need to trim anything! The original ejector lever that Adam sent you should not be ground down to match the old one because that would make it just like the one that's not working correctly! Make Vector fix it correctly or spend the $ to have one of the better smiths fix it for you. Welcome to the clone world.

A couple of things to look for are trigger pack height, extractor spring and extractor. And finally the ejector.
Clear weapon.
Pull charging handle to rear slowly while looking into the ejection port. As the face of the bolt reaches the rear of the ejection port watch for the ejector lever to protrude from the face of the bolt head. When the face of the ejector and the bolt are flush the ejector should be nearly touching the top of the slot inside the bolt head. If it is low or completely out of the slot the trigger pack shelf is to low.

Remove bolt group from the weapon. Observe the extractor, is the claw chipped or broken, see if you can wiggle it side to side and up and down against the spring. If it moves with moderate force, a: the spring is defective, b: the extractor is defective or c: both. If all seems well insert a live round into the bolt head behind the extractor in the firing position. If the extractor and spring hold the round in place the spring is good and should work properly. Note, buy extra springs, you will need them.

Don't dis Adam, he's great a guy selling a great product with a reputation that's the best. He gets the money for the parts because the market says they are worth it. You will not go wrong with his advice but you may also be able to get your gun running without having to spend that much if you should decide to work on it yourself.
I certainly don't want to dis Adam in any way - he has talked with me on the phone several times about this problem and is always ready to help. My only point was that he very quickly suggests $1,500.00 worth of parts to fix a $1,500.00 weapon.

David

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is a sad experience, but Vector should make this right. Or simply tell them you want your money back as it doesn't work.
I wonder how a return might work since the weapon has to be registered to me here in CA and any permanent transfer requires that it go through an FFL. And personal transfers in CA require both parties to be in the State (Vector is in UT)

·
Banned
384 Posts
I think its funny how a little grease on something can hang up a clone gun, and a true HK you can shoot wet, full of grit, carbon, etc, or shoot dry, and all is well.

I cant for the life of my understand why folks spend $1500 plus on a non-functioning, out of spec 'weapon' when you can bargain shop a true Hk for $2000 or so, and although it may be scratched and 'not perfect' , it will work 100% and retain its value.

This all makes absolutely no sense at all, to spend $1500 up front, fight with it, paying shipping back and forth, then still have an inferior product.

·
Premium Member
2,470 Posts
Show me where I can buy an HK94 for $2000 and I'll probably get trampled while I wait in line to buy one.

People buy the clone because they can't affort the $3500 that it takes to play the game. Everyone knows the DOJ guns sold for $2500 initially but those are gone. Love or hate them the recent clones have a much better reputation for working than the earlier ones. I'm a bit perplexed myself as to why the Vector guns have problems considering the companys reputation for making everything right with the customer.

"I can't for my life" understand why some folks can't understand that that last $500-1500 may be a deal breaker for some of us who don't really have tons of money to light fire to so we try to play the game as frugally as we can.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think its funny how a little grease on something can hang up a clone gun, and a true HK you can shoot wet, full of grit, carbon, etc, or shoot dry, and all is well.

I cant for the life of my understand why folks spend $1500 plus on a non-functioning, out of spec 'weapon' when you can bargain shop a true Hk for $2000 or so, and although it may be scratched and 'not perfect' , it will work 100% and retain its value.

This all makes absolutely no sense at all, to spend $1500 up front, fight with it, paying shipping back and forth, then still have an inferior product.
BECAUSE IN CA WE CANNOT HAVE HK 94'S, AND MP5'S. They were banned by name back in 1989. So we have to screw around with these "clones" to get around the retarded laws. The receiver is the only part we have to register and thus we cannot simply by a "real" HK. so we have to buy a clone mainly for the receiver and then replace all the other crap parts with factory HK.

Yeah, the "Golden State" alright.

·
Registered
301 Posts
BECAUSE IN CA WE CANNOT HAVE HK 94'S, AND MP5'S. They were banned by name back in 1989. So we have to screw around with these "clones" to get around the retarded laws. The receiver is the only part we have to register and thus we cannot simply by a "real" HK. so we have to buy a clone mainly for the receiver and then replace all the other crap parts with factory HK.

Yeah, the "Golden State" alright.

You forgot shower "Golden Shower State"

·
Registered
425 Posts
Crap Shoot.....

It is a roll of the dice. I have German steel in the safe. It is great. I bought most of my pieces at good prices and have not looked back.
On the other hand I have many clones in the safe. Some are great and some just flat suck harder than Ron Jeremy with a crick in his neck.
The most recent clones are just hard to beat for the money(Coharie is what I'm talking about, not Vector). My last two Coharies rock without any upgrades. They are the only clones out of the 7 that I own that I can this about. We have worn this topic out, but when the laws change and these toys become scarce, the ones that function will have some value. I have upgraded all of my earlier clones and they also function great. I knew that going in.
Vector will make your guns right. But you are buying Coharie parts assembled by Vector for an extra 500.00 clams.That is the reality. I spoke with Vector @Knob Creek and they were waiting on Todd to send them parts so that they could continue producing .40 cal roller locked weapons. We are all in debt to both companies as much as we hate to admit it for bringing products back to the public that would never have seen the light of day again without their work and experimenting.
I hope you get your issues worked out. It sounds like you have classic 2nd and 3rd generation "Clone-itus". You will have to replace some US goodies with German parts or the newest US spec items from BMP. I just bought a chunk on of items from them on the SAR sale and though they are not the fastest place on earth to deal with you but get your moneys worth and the part quality is more than I would have ever expected for the cost.
Good luck on the fix:)
P.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Let me tell you guys this.....

Those guns were bought by dealers for $800 - $1,000. I was at HK when I was offered, if there were any left after the existing sales to dealers for thesame price of $800.

DOJ's are now $2,800 to $3,400.

·
Registered
732 Posts
When I was new to the gun game, the HK was priced way out of my reach, some 20 years ago. Then there was the snobbery which went with them, as I then perceived. I figure let the snobs flash their rolex watches and shoot their HK's, and found other weapons and other people who were much more agreeable.

20 years on I see the clone and say, heck, now is a good time to see how these work. I come to this BBS and meet really fine people, for the most part.

I like my clones and I like you guys.

Vector should make this right, Litigator.

·
Premium Member
2,470 Posts
Wow, stubbicatt, sounds like you and me are about the same age. Same deal for me, these things were out of reach for me and my firearms experiance was very limited when they were available. The year they were all banned I bought my first guns, a 92fs and a SKS.
I remember about 91 or 92 a guy I knew bought an HK94 for $1200, IIRC. The kind of guy who flashed his stuff around then promptly sold it. He didn't own it for six months and I thought he was crazy for paying that much for a stamped steel, big heavy 9mm. Wow was I ever uneducated.

B

·
0 Posts
Write the Check for $3K

If you can't or won't write the check for that $3,000 mint HK then shut your pie hole. I own more than my fair share of original HKs. But I also own a few Vector clones. For a fraction of the price of the original I have been more than pleased with the quality and finish of my Vectors. I would not hesitate to buy another. Vector's customer service has been excellent to say the least. Expect to tweak an issue here and there. Maybe myself and the guys I shoot with who also own Vectors are just lucky. But we have had zero problems thus far. If you expect pure unadulterated quality then whip out that checkbook and pay. If you got a lemon then send it back, it happens. Vector will take care of the problem. Try dealing with HK's customer service...
Will I buy another HK product - yes!
Will I buy another Vector product - yes!

B

·
0 Posts
Phlegming Sear

Hey Coolhand(Luke),
What have you run your Fleming sear in? Any timing issues from one gun to another?

Note: All clones are not bad. In fact, Bushmaster, Colt, DPMS, and FN have all made some great clone guns.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts