HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Because of the unique gun laws here in CT we're limited to pre 1994 AWB pistols in order to legally have a threaded barrel. Luckily 1993 USPs exist, so here I am. My question is what can I do to bring it up to date in terms of the internals? I'm aware that a match trigger kit is available and needs the mentioned new style control latch.

Also noticed that hkparts has a new style firing pin and block. Is that a direct fit assuming I swap both to the new style?

Since this gun is mainly going to be a suppressor host, should I also get the tactical recoil assembly? I remember seeing something about it being a stronger spring for suppressed use?

Again in regards to suppressor use, I need to fit it with a threaded barrel. There's the barrel with an o-ring but it specifically says to remove the o-ring if it is not an SD model. But then that barrel is $70 less than the non o-ring barrel. What's the reason behind not being able to use the o-ring barrel with an o-ring on a non SD model?

Additionally, we have a 10rd limit here, so I need my FFL to block the standard 15rd mags that it came with. Will the 10rd floor plate, and locking plate actually limit the capacity, or are they only for properly supporting the 10rd spring, and the actual limiting is done by modifying the mag body?

Finally, are there any other parts I can and/or should replace/update? This is my first HK so I'm not that familiar with them. Thank you

·
Premium Member
3,086 Posts
I can't answer your questions, but I am sure several here can. Congrats on the usp and welcome to a great forum.

·
Registered
50 Posts
The 10 round magazine is completely different than the 15 rounder. Swapping the floor plate is simply not possible.

My USPfs 45 mags shows the difference. The 10 rd mags has no lip on the bottom, and has 2 windows that locks the floor plate in. The spring is much shorter as well.

The 12 rds has a lip and allows the floor plate to slide in flush.

Cross Creek Guns has USP full size 9mm 10rd mags and Match Trigger Kit for good price.

Cross Creek Guns HK Mags
Cross Creek Guns Accessories

Bumper

I have no idea about the barrel difference with the O-ring. The HK Webshop lists the non-O-ringed barrel for the USPfs 9. I have ordered barrels and magazines from the HK Webshop with no problems.

https://us.hkwebshop.com/HKWebShop/show/byItemID/10115//268///////////true

Hope some this helps out.

·
Banned
18,624 Posts
1. If you want to install a Match Trigger Kit, you will need a few updated parts. New hammer strut is one of those parts. Two-piece catch is another. The kit comes with the new-style longer catch that requires a 2-piece catch. Your 1993 USP does not come with this 2-piece catch so you'll need to upgrade it.

2. For upgraded FP, you'll need all 3 parts: FP, FPB, and FPBS. Can't mix and match them. No need to upgrade the old FPS.

3. You will need the upgraded RSA if you plan to shoot suppressed.

4. The non-O-ring barrel came with the now-discontinued USP9SD. The new barrel with O-ring is what comes standard with the newly-released USP 9 Tactical. Either one will work but you will need the upgraded RSA if you want to shoot it suppressed.

5. You will need the 10-rd mags unless there is a 10-rd block available elsewhere on the Internet. Or trade your 15-rd mags for 10-rd mags with the members here.

Additional items that may need further inspection and/or replacement:
1. Extractor
2. FPBS
3. TRS

Make a list of parts you need and call HK Cust Svc to order the parts directly from them. They have the best prices.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1. If you want to install a Match Trigger Kit, you will need a few updated parts. New hammer strut is one of those parts. Two-piece catch is another. The kit comes with the new-style longer catch that requires a 2-piece catch. Your 1993 USP does not come with this 2-piece catch so you'll need to upgrade it.

2. For upgraded FP, you'll need all 3 parts: FP, FPB, and FPBS. Can't mix and match them. No need to upgrade the old FPS.

3. You will need the upgraded RSA if you plan to shoot suppressed.

4. The non-O-ring barrel came with the now-discontinued USP9SD. The new barrel with O-ring is what comes standard with the newly-released USP 9 Tactical. Either one will work but you will need the upgraded RSA if you want to shoot it suppressed.

5. You will need the 10-rd mags unless there is a 10-rd block available elsewhere on the Internet. Or trade your 15-rd mags for 10-rd mags with the members here.

Additional items that may need further inspection and/or replacement:
1. Extractor
2. FPBS
3. TRS

Make a list of parts you need and call HK Cust Svc to order the parts directly from them. They have the best prices.
Thank you for all the info! That clears up just about everything. My one question: which parts make up the two piece catch? I see a Catch (Old Style) on hkparts but it is unclear which parts replace it.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Because of the unique gun laws here in CT we're limited to pre 1994 AWB pistols in order to legally have a threaded barrel. Luckily 1993 USPs exist, so here I am. My question is what can I do to bring it up to date in terms of the internals? I'm aware that a match trigger kit is available and needs the mentioned new style control latch.

Also noticed that hkparts has a new style firing pin and block. Is that a direct fit assuming I swap both to the new style?

Since this gun is mainly going to be a suppressor host, should I also get the tactical recoil assembly? I remember seeing something about it being a stronger spring for suppressed use?

Again in regards to suppressor use, I need to fit it with a threaded barrel. There's the barrel with an o-ring but it specifically says to remove the o-ring if it is not an SD model. But then that barrel is $70 less than the non o-ring barrel. What's the reason behind not being able to use the o-ring barrel with an o-ring on a non SD model?

Additionally, we have a 10rd limit here, so I need my FFL to block the standard 15rd mags that it came with. Will the 10rd floor plate, and locking plate actually limit the capacity, or are they only for properly supporting the 10rd spring, and the actual limiting is done by modifying the mag body?

Finally, are there any other parts I can and/or should replace/update? This is my first HK so I'm not that familiar with them. Thank you

First off there is no real need in "bringing your usp up to date" except in one area. the firing pin, and block, and ONLY if you plan on doing an excessive amount of dry firing. All other changes to the USP were just to keep it current with the times. however if you just feel like you want to bring it all up current because of the stresses of a suppressor then yes you are on the right track.

I would get the match trigger. with a new strut
with the threaded barrel will come the polygonal rifling
change the trigger bar
get the usp tactical recoil spring assembly yes the newer design is stronger, but last time i talked to HK armorer, he recommended using a wolf recoil spring for dedicated suppressor hosts to help with it.

your mag question was answered already

as for the O ring, you best bet is to get most of this stuff from HK directly. The O-ring barrel is for the new USP 9 tactical. The o-ring is designed to help with slide lockup. Earlier USP's did not have this feature at all except for the .45's. However it is not a necessary feature to have. You can run a .45 with or without the O-ring just fine.

You can not run it in yours because the tolerances are too tight. besides the HK barrel is like only 10 dollars more than the Oring one from HKparts. so just go with the one you don't have to bother with the O-ring at all.

Last but not least you need to get the USPT adjustable sights.

·
Banned
18,624 Posts
Thank you for all the info! That clears up just about everything. My one question: which parts make up the two piece catch? I see a Catch (Old Style) on hkparts but it is unclear which parts replace it.
Below is the old-style, 1-piece catch. This is what you currently have, unless the previous owner has already swapped it out.

https://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/Catch-Old-Style-USP-Pistols-265p1932.htm

Here is the newer, 2-piece catch. It consists of 2 separate parts: a Control Latch (left) and a Catch (right).

https://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=1803
https://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/Control-Latch-For-HK45-HK45C-USP-USPC-200p1174.htm

·
I Bleed Urban Gray
3,305 Posts
Here is a simple solution:

Send your USP to Home (Marine0303 on this forum Teufelshund Tactical ) The owner, Major Williamson, is a Master HK Armorer and highly respected here. He will strip your USP to the bone, replace/update what's needed, and clean it so it sparkles (tactically speaking). You wont regret it! I speak from first hand experience. Oh, he's super fast too. You'll have your USP back in no time.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Below is the old-style, 1-piece catch. This is what you currently have, unless the previous owner has already swapped it out.

https://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/Catch-Old-Style-USP-Pistols-265p1932.htm

Here is the newer, 2-piece catch. It consists of 2 separate parts: a Control Latch (left) and a Catch (right).

https://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=1803
https://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/Control-Latch-For-HK45-HK45C-USP-USPC-200p1174.htm

Thank you again.

Here is a simple solution:

Send your USP to Home (Marine0303 on this forum Teufelshund Tactical ) The owner, Major Williamson, is a Master HK Armorer and highly respected here. He will strip your USP to the bone, replace/update what's needed, and clean it so it sparkles (tactically speaking). You wont regret it! I speak from first hand experience. Oh, he's super fast too. You'll have your USP back in no time.
I appreciate the recommendation but I'm more of a DIY guy.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
First off there is no real need in "bringing your usp up to date" except in one area. the firing pin, and block, and ONLY if you plan on doing an excessive amount of dry firing. All other changes to the USP were just to keep it current with the times. however if you just feel like you want to bring it all up current because of the stresses of a suppressor then yes you are on the right track.

I would get the match trigger. with a new strut
with the threaded barrel will come the polygonal rifling
change the trigger bar
get the usp tactical recoil spring assembly yes the newer design is stronger, but last time i talked to HK armorer, he recommended using a wolf recoil spring for dedicated suppressor hosts to help with it.

your mag question was answered already

as for the O ring, you best bet is to get most of this stuff from HK directly. The O-ring barrel is for the new USP 9 tactical. The o-ring is designed to help with slide lockup. Earlier USP's did not have this feature at all except for the .45's. However it is not a necessary feature to have. You can run a .45 with or without the O-ring just fine.

You can not run it in yours because the tolerances are too tight. besides the HK barrel is like only 10 dollars more than the Oring one from HKparts. so just go with the one you don't have to bother with the O-ring at all.

Last but not least you need to get the USPT adjustable sights.
Any idea which Wolff spring? It seems crazy to spend $99 on a tactical assembly if all I need is a $7 spring. Stock seems to be 12lbs, but they're available all the way up to 20.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Could you use this stuff? I have had it for a few years and it was in a HK marked bag. I bought some guns a few years back and this stuff came with them. Not sure what it fits but it's a firing pin and spring and block and spring. Not sure what the two larger springs are. Free to you if you can use them.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Those look like the new-style, redesigned FP/FPB/FPBS. Not sure what the other 2 huge springs are but I hope they are not for car suspension. LOL

If GroundZero does not want them, you can post them on the Pay It Forward thread in the Marketplace. Someone will want them.

http://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-parts-accessories-sale/169568-hkpro-pay-forward-thread.html
I have no idea what the larger springs are but it was all in an HK marked bag. Is the recoil spring in the full sized gun a flat wire like the compact?

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Any idea which Wolff spring? It seems crazy to spend $99 on a tactical assembly if all I need is a $7 spring. Stock seems to be 12lbs, but they're available all the way up to 20.
I was told to do the next step up so that would be the 16 lb spring by the armorer. However it couldnt hurt to double check with HK.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts