HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Professional Gunslinger
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at getting a older (approx2007) V51 SBR. After doing some research I'm kinda on the fence as to if they are good or not can someone point this newby in the right direction?

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
I have had good luck with my vector. I think it is definately a better build than a cetme. They should have a FA bolt if you ever buy a registered sear or have a friend to loan you one. I also believe the PTR would be a good option, I have two and they are a solid build and well functioning gun.

·
Professional Gunslinger
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Whats the advantage of the PTR vs the Vector?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Unless the Vector will cost you less than 1k, the PTR 91 PDW is less expensive. They are going for $999 at several places and have gone for less.
I own the PTR and I really like it. That end cap looks a little funny but if you have plans to SBR it then it is really simple to put a stock on the existing end cap. You heve to replace the end cap/recoil assembly in the V51. If you dont plan to SBR it then both are fine pistols with a lot of bang for the buck.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I got my V51P in 08, but it was a year old. Built on a JLD receiver. Excellent gun. The end cap on the PTR gun looks plain stupid, & adds to the length of the gun. I don't know how good the newer Vector builds are, but if you can find a nice JLD/Vector gun, I'd go with that. GARY N4KVE

·
Registered
156 Posts
For the extra couple hundred I saved by getting the PTR, I had the money to send off for my stamp. Then I can put one of my A2 stocks on for a minimal amount of money and I will have one bad a** .308 pistol. You just cant do that with a Vector. Dont get me wrong, I own a few Vector guns and Im not saying anything bad about them. You just have to buy more expensive parts when you go the SBR route, whether you go A2 or A3.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I bought a Vector Arms factory registered V51 SBR in '08 and the only problem that I've had is in feeding the ravenous thing.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Also, when you but a V51 gun, it has a real imported bolt, carrier, & locking piece. If you buy a new PTR gun, you will get US made BCG parts which aren't proven, & some have been made too soft causing a loss of headspace. Now while PTR realizes this, they are offering a lifetime warranty on their US parts. But I'd prefer a gun that's trouble free with true imported parts, than a gun that has to go back to the factory built with US BCG parts. The Vector gun is proven to be reliable. [the older ones anyway] The PTR pistols haven't proven the test of time yet. GARY N4KVE

·
Registered
10,256 Posts
That is correct. All of the 51 style weapons have a telescoping recoil rod, and you have to buy parts designed in that way.
That is incorrect. If you had said all the Vector styled 51s you'd have a winner. Vollmer, Qualified, and Dyer built 51s have solid, one piece recoil rods. There were a lot of 51s made from back in the day, before Vector was around. Vector was the one that started up with a commercially manufactured two piece recoil rod, probably after seeing how nohair did his. Personally, I don't think Vector made their rod collapse enough.

I know I based MY work on stuff that nohair and Ghillie did. I don't know if I was the first to make an independent two piece rod, but that design has really worked out well for me with the Hello Kitty 51K. The basic premise of the two piece rod is that it allows a longer recoil spring for more power without binding and bunching the spring.

·
Registered
156 Posts
And you are correct sir, I should have known better than being absolutely specific. It has already bitten me one time on here before. I couldnt afford those early 51 types. Should have jumped on the V51 when Vector had them less than a grand. That is ultimately why I deciced on the PTR 91 PDW, I didnt let the goofy cone deter me once i found out that you could easily add the A2 stock. I would buy both if I had the cash and they were available.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts