HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

New to the forum and first post. I am a former HK 91, 93, etc. owner and would like to get back into the HK family of rifles. Will have to settle for a
clone for now.

Most interesting to me (after some long reads here) is the Vector Arms V93 K (full size pistol) with the 12" barrel. It is my understanding that one can
make a pistol into a rifle without too much fuss. My initial plan is to add a Vortex 4.5" muzzle brake/flash hider and a Brugger and Thomet HK MP5 UMP
side folding buttstock. It would appear that I should be able to do this without too many issues. Is that correct?

I have searched the topic but have found very little about this approach. Has anyone out there tried this? If so, how did it work? It would seem that if
the initial build is good the rest of the additions should be straightforward. Is this correct? Please start me on the right path.

Thanks so much for your time and comments.

·
Registered
621 Posts
What carrier does the gun come with?

If using the buffered carrier, the stock will fit, but there's been some speculation that the buffer piece sticking out the back may end up destroying the plastic stock.

I was going to build a little steel insert for my stock to give he buffer a little something to push off of. But ended up using the stock on my mp5/40 for now.

Make sure you "permanently" attach that flashider though, otherwise the ATF boys will consider it a SBR. Red locktite, rockset, even black locktite isn't considered permanent. Gotta weld, blind pin, or 1100 degree solder that hog on there.

The easiest is a small tac weld on the bottom. Easy enough to remove when the paperwork comes back. Yet permanent enough for the alphabet agency guys.

ETA:
My vector 33k is by far my favorite 556 caliber HK clone I own. Sweet handling, perfect balance, zero recoil, and with the can on it..... Oh so quiet.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Fullmann,

Thanks for the feedback. Not sure about the carrier. I was looking at the Atlantic Firearms model or Kelly Enterprises. Whatever carrier is used by Vector Arms would
be the answer. Sorry, all new to this. The permanent attachment of the flashhider is exactly where I was going, and thanks for the comments.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Vector should be a OK firearm, not near the issues that Century have had. If you are not going to go though the hoops to SBR it later, then I would just get the Vector 93 rifle and have your self the money and extra parts to make it a rifle in the first place. You also will gain more velocity from a 16" vs 12" barrel.

I do have a Century C93 and can say that a 16" barrel is a nice size for this platform.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If it is a Vector then the carrier will be buffered unless someone has previously swapped carriers
So, if I understand your post, if the carrier has a buffer then the B&T buttstock would work???? According to DPS it is supposed to fit the 93. The B&T buttstock just looks superior to anything else. Any experience with this one????
Thanks

·
Registered
621 Posts
if it has a buffered carrier, the B&T will technically work. but with the buffer plunger sticking out the back, there is a chance that the B&T plastic will not like all of the recoil force concentrated on that little half moon.

there is a good pic of a buffered carrier in this thread:
http://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-nfa-talk/102816-wtk-hk-33-carrier-wierd-marking.html

thats why I was going to make a steel insert similar in shape to the buffertech rubber buffer

HK 91/93 Recoil Buffer @ Buffertech

just about the thickness of the mounting tab that sticks out the bottom, therefore distributing the recoil force all over the plastic face of the B&T stock, rather than just at the carrier buffer half moon shape.

after looking at the buffertech again, you could probably trim it to the same thickness as the carrier buffer, and remove some material around where the carrier buffer sticks out, almost making the two interlock into eachother. that may spread out the force enough to not destroy the stock.

ETA:
just grabbed my 53 stock to show you what kind of force is applied to that carrier buffer. this is a steel insert and it took this abuse, so plastic may or may not survive. This did happen when I foolishly ran a can and an auto sear on a gun with no bolt gap. So this wear isn't typical, I've also got roller marks all up and down my rails from the same range outing.

and just because I am filled with bad influence today, this is the finished product of what you are contemplating. just to taunt you....

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
This 53 has the carrier buffer and the pictured stock came with a very think black rubber buffer(almost 1 in thick) and it held up fine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts