HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to get a .308 to play with, as I'd like to just keep the real HK91 in the vault. It will be a FA weapon when I get my sear pack. I can get either of these at about $1,100 shipped, in the configuration that I want. Which would be better as a regular shooter in SA and FA?

Any preference on quality of one over the other? Do either of them come with FA carriers?

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have a PTR91 and so far I have had zero issues with it. I don't know much about the Vector though so I can't comment on it. I have few hundred rounds through the PTR with no jams, misfeeds or malfunctions. I paid a little over a 1000 for it, but since I live in Kalifornia I was happy to be able to get on at all...and no I did not buy it out of state and smuggle it in. In the penal code LEO's are exempt from the assault weapon ban.

·
Registered
975 Posts
I have V51 SBR. It one of my all time favorite weapons! It came from Vector with a full auto carrier. I have had zero issues with it however I have changed some of the parts to factory HK parts to make me feel better. If you want to use a 308 with a sear I would highly reccomend the V51 as I cannot imagine a full size 308 would be half the fun as the V51.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Looks like the Vector comes with a paddle mag release. The PTR doesn't, so if your ok with the shorty look thats the way I'd go.

·
Registered
87 Posts
It will be a FA weapon when I get my sear pack. Any preference on quality of one over the other? Do either of them come with FA carriers?
Neither of them come with an FA carrier and I doubt the Vector is a suitable FA host. The PTR-91 is a couple of notches above the Vector in terms of quality and fit/finish.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Neither of them come with an FA carrier and I doubt the Vector is a suitable FA host. The PTR-91 is a couple of notches above the Vector in terms of quality and fit/finish.
Every 308 Vector listed on their website says it comes with a F/A carrier.

·
Registered
6,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Every 308 Vector listed on their website says it comes with a F/A carrier.
Yes they do. And they sell PTR made receivers on the Vector site, which leads me to believe that they use PTR receivers for their guns. But I guess I'll have to ask.

Edit: Just got off the phone with Vector. Their V51 series uses PTR receivers. All the .308 and .223 HK type rifles come with FA bolt carriers. The V51 pistol and V51 SBR has about a 1 month waiting list, but they're pretty sure it won't be much longer than that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had heard good things about the PTR so I bought one to give my HK91 a rest. The PTR had problems. Magazines fit loose in the mag well. Very ammo sensitive. I would not buy another one.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I have a PTR91 and a Vector V93. Two different rifles. The PTR91 seems to me to be the most robust, but I had an issue with bolt gap shrinkage which I don't feel was properly addressed by the factory. I was able to correct the issue with oversized rollers, but that's the only issue I've had with their product.

The Vector was a problem at first due to what I consider poor QC. The paddle for the mag release was so tight in the receiver that it was not useable. There were issues with the rear sight bottoming out and still not giving adequate depression. The receiver was too tight at the rear and would pinch off the bolt carrier when it was supposed to be reciprocating inside the receiver. The cocking tube showed obvious signs of previous use. The receiver would not accept a claw mount, which Vector knew, but did not correct before shipping the rifle. Some of these issues are due to an out of spec receiver, but again, nobody mentioned it or attempted to correct it at Vector before shipment.

I have rectified these issues, but in light of the OC's first posting, I'd get the PTR over a Vector product.

I am now happy with the Vector, but it has been several months of tinkering before I arrived here. Litigator has had issues with a 40 caliber MP5 clone he bought from Vector as well. It seems to me that they should ship a rifle that is suitable for use straight from the factory.

My 2 cents worth anyways.

·
Registered
6,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have a PTR91 and a Vector V93. Two different rifles. The PTR91 seems to me to be the most robust, but I had an issue with bolt gap shrinkage which I don't feel was properly addressed by the factory. I was able to correct the issue with oversized rollers, but that's the only issue I've had with their product.

The Vector was a problem at first due to what I consider poor QC. The paddle for the mag release was so tight in the receiver that it was not useable. There were issues with the rear sight bottoming out and still not giving adequate depression. The receiver was too tight at the rear and would pinch off the bolt carrier when it was supposed to be reciprocating inside the receiver. The cocking tube showed obvious signs of previous use. The receiver would not accept a claw mount, which Vector knew, but did not correct before shipping the rifle. Some of these issues are due to an out of spec receiver, but again, nobody mentioned it or attempted to correct it at Vector before shipment.

I have rectified these issues, but in light of the OC's first posting, I'd get the PTR over a Vector product.

I am now happy with the Vector, but it has been several months of tinkering before I arrived here. Litigator has had issues with a 40 caliber MP5 clone he bought from Vector as well. It seems to me that they should ship a rifle that is suitable for use straight from the factory.

My 2 cents worth anyways.
Interesting, since the .308 receiver was built by PTR and the V94 receiver was built by SW/CA. Maybe these suppliers were sending Vector their "seconds".

·
Registered
961 Posts
I am really happy with my PTR91 SC, fit and finish is great. Ive never shot a Vector but Ive held many. Didnt like all the "slop" I could feel. Wasnt that bad but for the price I expect a little bit better quality wise. If your spending that much cash for a sear or tigger pack, Im sure you can swing the cash for a FA bolt for either one. Just seems like a PTR would hold up better under FA fire...

·
Registered
602 Posts
I've had 3 ptr's and 1 vector v51 pistol, never an issue with either of them (less the super tight chamber on the early ptr)

the short barrel on my vector is always a crowd pleaser. one issue I have with the ptr is the lack of a paddle mag release and lack of auto carrier, although the carrier is easily remedied with a call to varoius parts suppliers.

fit and finish on both are about the same, but my jld's are finished inside and out, whereas my vector is just the outside, and overspray inside.

vector uses a proprietary recoil system, so you will not be able to use genuine HK recoil spring parts. but, the recoil system they use WILL work on any full size rifle, so you can just get vector stocks and use them on the ptr (I do).

all other genuine HK parts (less the recoil system) fit on both guns, so as near as I can tell, they are in spec.

the only other difference that I can see is the vector has a standard barrel weight, and the jld has a heavy barrel. so for mostly auto fire, the jld may hold up better. but, I've never really heard of a standard barrel failing due to heat.

you cant really go wrong with either, I know I like all of mine, now if I can stop buying hosts and start saving for a sear.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts