HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read a lot of great stuff on this forum, you guys really know your s**t!!

I just bought a new Vector V53K from a dealer in Florida and my plan is to SBR it and install a collapsible stock and a vertical fore-grip only after I have the approved Form 1 in hand.

I am also planning on using my "pending" status M4 2000 silencer on it from time to time. Also, I'm not that familiar with 922r.. The vertical fore-grip is US made and so is the stock, will that make a difference?

Any thoughts? Bad idea? Am I making a big mistake?

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
2,335 Posts
Contrats on your 53K! You are going to love it. FYI: the factory recoil spring on mine was not strong enough which caused her to not go fully into battery. Ghilliebear assisted by
suggesting I purchase a 53 full size spring, ( got it from Adam ). This eliminated my problem. I do shoot it full auto so not sure if that was an added factor. The weaker spring did cause a few small dimples that Vector took care of. BTW: mine requires stout factory loads to cycle. My friend had some PMC Gold that was too weak to cycle. Federal XM193 is a blast!

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great! Thanks for the info!! I can't wait to get my grubby hands on it!!! Looks great on the website and I have read nothing but fun reviews about it.:29:

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Leave the suppressor off, unless you want to risk damage to gun and suppressor. the EXTREME shortness of the barrel on the K is not good for a suppressor - you will burn more powder in can and risk baffle strikes as well.

The Ks were meant to be loud and obnoxious... there are plenty of better suppressed 556 options to play with.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have heard that the short barrel is not suppressor friendly. I do plan on using it on my AR and my full size V53 too though....:41:

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I own Surefire, SWR and even YHM cans in 556. Even my Wolverine which is short bbl (10.5) rated, I would not run it on bbls below 10in. I have seen 53s run with FA212 Surefires, yes they work BUT the receiver/shooter and can take a beat down that is not needed. Hopefully you are not a lefty as you will have a face full of gas and burnt powder quickly. The larger volume YHM may work but even the cheapness of the can vs others still doesnt convince me to trash it

YMMV and just my observation / experiences

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the feedback. My first can was an AAC Tirant 45 which makes my Glock 21 sound like 22. I was very impressed with their fit and finish and I have yet to find a bad review of the new M4 2000. Plus I love the ratchet mount flash hider as it makes it so much easier to switch hosts. I guess we'll see.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I shot my vector 53 with the can on it quite a bit. never a baffle strike, although its not a pleasant shoot.

gas in the face, and even with the can, its still too loud. you will still require the ear pro.

my locking piece was a little off, so when I combined the can with the pack.....receiver dimples and the fastest ROF I have ever heard. with the can or just the pack, no issues had shown before that.

I much prefer the 33k for use with the can. much more enjoyable.

Im using an AAC m4-2k for what its worth.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Based on what I've heard on here, I'll probably not use the can on the K. How do you like the M4 2K? I plan on using it on my 53 and AR.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Based on what I've heard on here, I'll probably not use the can on the K. How do you like the M4 2K? I plan on using it on my 53 and AR.
I really like the can, mine is a couple years old, so I'd assume the latest offerings are even better.

Make sure the flashider is fully seated and threadlocked, also make sure you fully seat the can on the flashider. Mine had issues with the latch at first, but seems to have broken in now.

·
Grand Chazzar
3,353 Posts
No way I'd put the can on my 53k !!!!
When ive shot it at paper , every shot except the first one keyholes at any distance .
IMO it would beat the can to death , you would get A LOT of baffle strikes , & possibly blow it off the end of the k gun .
I shoot my 53 with YHM can & I think that's pushing it .
http://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-nfa-talk/153552-igf-53-yhm-phantom.html
Use the k gun for what it is .......loud & obnoxious...lol
Good luck

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow, ok so no can on the 53K. I think I'll probably still use the AAC hider I have just because I think they are cool. What about the SBR and 922r? I already know about the Form 1 paperwork, I do it through my LLC so its easy for me. But how does the 922 r thing and the engraving the receiver thing work?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
I went with an AAC M47-2000 can. It is for a 7.62 diameter projectile instead of a 5.56. The can is not listed on the AAC website. Call AAC and ask about it. My personal opinion is for a collector a can is for calibers that have subsonic ammo. There is several makers of subsonic 5.56X45, but the gas volume is so low, the a standard semi auto won't cycle. I've seen 100 gr subsonic that is supposed to cycle a standard semi auto, but was listed at over $2.00 per round. To me that is not practical.

EBR makes a 220 gr 7.62X39 that will cycle the standard action. It is pricey but not $2.00 per round pricey. I use the can on both 7.62X39 and 5.56X45 platforms. My understanding is my M47-2000 is a db or two higher when using on a 5.56X45 as compared to a M4-2000, but I use it with supersonic ammo so it is a moot point. I'm planning to set up a SW53 AR clone (53 that uses AR mags instead of HK mags) for use with my M47-2000. Having the clearance inside the can will be less likely to have a baffle strike. My understanding is that most can manufacturers suggest no less than a 10.5" barrel and a 53 has a less than 9" barrel.

As far as the 922(R) issue, I can't speak about what is or is not a foreign made part on the V53K. I suggest that you search the phrase "922(R)". There is an article that was written about AK compliance, but it still gives you the basics as far as how many foreign made parts are allowed. Pistols are exempt from having to comply to 922(R). Good luck with your SBR project. Use the search feature here. There is a lot of good information.

Scott

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Scott! Great info. My paperwork is already "pending" on the 5.56 M4 2000 so I will most likely stick with it and just not use it on the 53K. Are you saying that the 922 r does not apply if I turn my 53K pistol into an SBR? I am just interested in putting the vertical foregrip and collapsible stock on it.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Thanks Scott! Great info. My paperwork is already "pending" on the 5.56 M4 2000 so I will most likely stick with it and just not use it on the 53K. Are you saying that the 922 r does not apply if I turn my 53K pistol into an SBR? I am just interested in putting the vertical foregrip and collapsible stock on it.
922(R) does apply whether the rifle is Title I (16"+ barrel) or Title II (less than 16" barrel). Since 922(R) does not apply to pistols (the configuration you purchased the V53K in) then Vector was not required to have the pistol built with less than 10 foreign made parts from the list of effected parts. 922(R) has been discussed repeatedly here and on other forums. Please do so searching for the finer points of what parts are effected. Since the V53K is a fairly new model, I'd imagine Vector could tell you what parts are US made already in the gun. I'm sure the receiver is US made, so that is one. Good luck with the project.

Scott

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have done a lot of reading on 922r and if I have it right, in order for my SBR to be legal, It has to have 10 or more US made parts in it. Is that about the gist of it?

·
Registered
193 Posts
I have done a lot of reading on 922r and if I have it right, in order for my SBR to be legal, It has to have 10 or more US made parts in it. Is that about the gist of it?
You have to have 10 or more US made parts from the list below. Not all parts are contained in every firearm. See parts with an (*) for your firearm.

(1) Frames, receivers, receiver castings, forgings or stampings*
(2) Barrels*
(3) Barrel extensions
(4) Mounting blocks (trunions)*
(5) Muzzle attachments*
(6) Bolts*
(7) Bolt carriers*
(8) Operating rods* (cocking lever)
(9) Gas pistons
(10) Trigger housings*
(11) Triggers*
(12) Hammers*
(13) Sears*
(14) Disconnectors
(15) Buttstocks*
(16) Pistol grips*
(17) Forearms, handguards*
(18) Magazine bodies*
(19) Followers*
(20) Floorplates*

Also, I don't know how far down the rabbit hole you are on this one but you could always sell your pistol and buy a factory SBR V53K. Then you don't have to have your information engraved on the gun.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts