HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, I apologize if this has been hashed and rehashed already, but I really would appreciate some feedback.

I went to the range today with my P2000SK .40 v3, which I shoot very well, and had an opportunity to do a side by side comparison with two LEM .40's, a P2000 v2 and a P2000SK v2.

With the LEM's, I was all over the darned paper. I finally really focused on my letoff and was getting them in the black, which comes very naturally with the v3.

But, why would I want to do this? The reset feels the same on the v3 and the v2, but then the v3 has a nice SA letoff, and the v2 has a mushy, vague letoff. What's to like about that?

I am not trying to be a smart***. Seriously, what am I missing here about the advantages of the LEM?

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
The LEM offers nothing over TDA, period. It is merely an alternative to those who choose not to master the TDA. Stick with what you know, I know I did.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I have an sk .40 which started off life as a V2 -- and I had a similar experience to yours. Hated the darn thing! Couldn't shoot it worth a damn. My shots were all over the place. Then I swapped two springs and made it into a light LEM V1. It made all the difference in the world to me. I could suddenly squeeze through shots as compared to jerking the last bit off target. Before you give up, try light LEM. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
The normal LEM (Heavy) is rather unplesant, you might as well just have a DA only system and call it that. The light LEM however is very nice and is a world of difference. Still I personally prefer to stay DA/SA

·
Registered
50 Posts
I can't speak concerning the LEM p2000sk, but I did convert my HK45c from DA/SA to Light LEM. Once at the range the new LEM mod took some getting used to. By the third trip to the range, I was able to get my groupings back where they were when the 45c was DA/SA. I kept the LEM installed for two months, and I just couldn't get used to it, and found out it wasn't for me. But I tried it, and I too prefer the DA/SA, over LEM.

As for the HK45c The LEM provides a shorter reset, and a consistent lighter trigger pull every time by pre-loading the hammer spring. Also the heavier LEM hammer spring provides more force to the hammer spring which moves the hammer, firing pin, and hits the primer harder to increase reliability. I am not sure if the sk uses a different hammer spring between the v2 and v3 variants. But I did encounter the mushy letoff as you described. I would stick with which ever you're most accurate and comfortable with. There are many HK fans that have found preference with the LEM. Unfortunately, I am not one of them.

·
Registered
368 Posts
To each their own. I personally never really "enjoyed" the DA/SA on my HKs and decided to try LEM for my new HK45 and loved it. Then I proceeded to change all my triggers to LEM with the exception of my P30L which is stuck in V3(may trade for the new V1 whenever that comes out)

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
The LEM offers nothing over TDA, period. It is merely an alternative to those who choose not to master the TDA. Stick with what you know, I know I did.
Mhmmm. Stick with what you are comfortable with and you will be fine.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I guess everyone has their own personal preference. I used to be a DA/SA fan but since I recently converted to LEM and really like it much much more. I am using the 'Todd Green Special' (TGS) which is light LEM but with a heavy trigger return spring (which gives a more positive reset). Contrary to many others, I also left the safety lever on (with a new detent plate to disable 'decock'). The safety lever is important in my opinion for a carry weapon since I personally feel there is too much risk that something gets between the trigger when reholstering for example -- no Glock for me :)

Why do I like LEM better? Well, most of all it is the consistent trigger pull. I do master the first DA pull of the DA/SA trigger but having just one pull is just simpler, better, and nicer from a training perspective. Moreover, the TGS LEM is quite light and it is a great trigger which can shoot very precise with fast follow-up shots. To me, the HK45C with a TGS LEM and safety is basically an improved 1911: smaller and more reliable and safe, but still with a manual safety and very good trigger, and without need to carry cocked-and-locked: the light LEM feels basically just as if you always shoot SA. Ah, HK heaven :)

·
Registered
783 Posts
I'd love to try out the Light LEM. I think I've only shot my HK once in DA mode.. It was fine I guess. Heavy though. I definitely prefer it in Single action. I know though for certain competitions you have to start with the gun decocked therefore you'd have to go through the two different trigger pulls.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Contrary to many others, I also left the safety lever on (with a new detent plate to disable 'decock'). The safety lever is important in my opinion for a carry weapon since I personally feel there is too much risk that something gets between the trigger when reholstering for example -- no Glock for me :)
You know you could just thumb the hammer right? It's more positive than using a safety....you're physically blocking the gun from being able to fire, and also have tactile feedback if anything is pulling on the trigger.

Something to think about, it's a huge advantage of having a DA gun.

ETA: Woops! My eyes ran past that part where you said you don't have the decock option anymore. My b, enjoy!

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
The safety lever is important in my opinion for a carry weapon since I personally feel there is too much risk that something gets between the trigger when reholstering for example -- no Glock for me :)
A manual safety defeats the whole purpose of the LEM, in my (and numerous others') opinion. Still, whatever floats your boat....

However, the reason you gave is easily dealt with by simply keeping one's thumb on the hammer when re-holstering.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Who's telling you to like LEM?

If you don't like it, don't use it. You said it yourself, DA/SA is natural for you - if it ain't broke don't fix it.
I took a poll here recently, where majority of the forum members are running DA/SA...knowing this, I don't feel any pressure to switch to or like DA/SA. I like what I like.

·
Registered
316 Posts
and then....

there are those that like the normal (heavier) LEM.......like me.

light LEM is great for range / target. But, for me, heavier LEM is good for combat/practical/tactical shooting.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
All the LEMs I've owned/shot have a shorter reset than their DA/SA counterparts, and is especially true with the Hybrid-LEM trigger.
Shortest amount of reset travel on any HK handgun, period. :25:

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
It doesn't seem that you are missing anything really. Just because there's a lot of talk about LEM doesn't mean it's for everyone. Chances are that you'll be proficient in whatever platform you dedicate the most time to. It's really that simple. DA/SA is the Ford/Chevy or Coke/Pepsi of the HK pistol community.

·
Registered
176 Posts
My P2000sk is .40 Light LEM while my HK45C is V1, and I'll tell you, the DA/SA on the .45 is "foul" after shooting the "sk". Don't get me wrong, both are nice pistols, but coming from owning/learning on the .45C first and then moving to the "sk" Light LEM, light LEM is for me!! Going to have the .45C converted to Light LEM eventually.

Been working on mastering the reset on my "sk", was impressed with my recent range trip in which my doubletaps were crisp, accurate and on target.

·
Registered
765 Posts
My approach to LEM is that of a SA trigger with a long takeup. It has the outward appearance of a DA with the hammer motion, but internal mechanics with the preloaded hammer spring and sear are more like SA.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
If you really want to give LEM a chance, you need to try light LEM. I changed out the easy 2 springs (FPB and Hammer springs) and it made a huge difference.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I do want to hijack the thread, but I have a question.
On the V2 for the first shot.... is the trigger pull supposed to be very light with the tension at the end of the pull, then after the first shot the rest of the pulls heavy.
The P2000 in a gunshop was like this. Just wandering

Sent from my DROID2 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 34 Posts