HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was curious to know if anyone knows if vollmer ever used MP5 kits to build guns. I am looking at one with a sear,I know his builds were done a long time ago so I am trying to find out if the barrel was cut or if he used kits. Thanks

·
Registered
10,256 Posts
There were no "kits" back then. All Vollmer builds were done using original HK or FMP semi guns as a starting point. Can't help you with the barrel info, but if it's a 3 lug, I hazard a guess and say they replaced it with a real German part. As far as I can remember, nobody was fabricating add on 3 lugs back then either.

·
Premium Member
3,674 Posts
My Vollmer conversion w/ a Qualified sear was done in the late 80s and I remember they cut and modified my original 94 barrel. The 3-lug portion on mine is a greyish parkerized color, while the rest of the barrel matches the black finiish of the rest of the gun. The transition between the grey and black just forward of the front sight base is ragged, like it was masked off. Also, there are a lot of machining grooves around the barrel forward of the lugs and in the depressions between the lugs. My impression is that they cut my 94 barrel, welded on the lugs, and then machined it down (somewhat crudely) to remove the weld marks. I never tried to attach something to see if the lugs actually work.

·
Premium Member
8,625 Posts
The color change and masked area doesn't necessarily mean it's a separate part. Many times, the entire barreled receiver is parkerized, then the front barrel stub is masked of before it's painted. That way paint doesn't gum up the interface if a suppressor is used.

It may still have been cut down, but the fact that is looks like it was masked off doesn't prove it.

·
Premium Member
1,525 Posts
And weren't MP5 barrels readily available in the 80's? Why expend the effort to cut down a 94 barrel if you didn't have to?

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
IIRC, when I bought my 1st MP5 from Vollmer in the late 80's, Fred told me they installed either contract barrels or for a small premium German barrels. I opted for a German barrel.

·
Premium Member
3,674 Posts
This is the end of my barrel. The machining marks make me think it's not a factory HK barrel. However, the barrel has IG 4J stamped on it, and what appears to be a N under a faint eagle proof mark (probably covered when it got refinished). The IG on the barrel matches the IG code on my receiver. Don't think the contract barrel would look like this either or have the codes on it.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,383 Posts
My 1990 Vollmer MP5 was built with a German MP5 barrel. Back in the very early days of the internet message boards, there was a discussion of Vollmer MP5 barrels. Fred posted that he sometimes used Turkish barrels (which some poeple didn't like), and Fred posted that he never claimed his barrels were always German. I didn't think three lug attachments were widely used, there were enough problems with HK contract barrels and out of spec lugs that wouldn't allow adding the flash suppressor or sound suppressors. Back in the day, builders used whatever they could get their hands on, sometimes German, sometimes HK contract, sometimes you made what you couldn't get.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts