HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Wanted to share my experience mounting a Vortex StrikeFire Red/Green Dot Site (about $150) on my MP5k clone with my S&H Sear installed (Ca89k).

I used an MFI Claw Mount ($120) I got from Adam HK Scope Mount | MFI scope mount - HKPARTS.NET,

a Vortex Tactical 30mm High Ring ($19 - PN TRH) from Optics Planet Vortex Tactical 30mm Riflescope Ring. TRL, TRH, TRXH, TRXHAC, TRM. Vortex Riflescope Mounts, Rings & Bases.

I'm not into the co-witness thing and this most certainly does not co-witness. It peeks over the top of the front site circle nicely. There is the tiniest gap of light between the rear drum and the bottom of the scope, and it allows for a nice cheek weld on the folding stock.

The StrikeFires come with a variety of mounts, so make sure you get the TRH (High) model to emulate this setup.

There is enough space in the ring mount to look through the square and use your irons if the battery craps out...but it's not a full site picture...about the upper 1/2 of the front site is visible.

My only gripe about this setup is that the MFI mount will eat up your thumb when cocking, so I have to move it out of the way or bleed.

I'm not a big optics guy, but wanted a red dot to play with when I'm shooting steel and this one does the job nicely. Enjoy.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Nice set-up. My eyes are getting older and it's hard to bounce in and out of the bifocal to use iron sights. This might work for me, thanks for posting this.

·
Premium Member
1,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's also nice when you're teaching a young person or someone new to firearms...you just tell them to put the dot on the target and squeeze. Let them get comfortable with the recoil and the safety aspect, then work into irons.

·
Registered
482 Posts
My Dad and Grandpa taught me how to shoot a rifle. I started with an M1 Garand with iron sights. I don't know what was worse,getting rid of the flinch or the recoil. Good idea about teaching the nephews with this set up,thanks.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I tried to rock that setup on my AT-94k pistol and I found that after putting a low profile rail on it I would cock it back and my finger would get smashed in between the corner of the rail and the cocking handle. Watch your fingers!

·
Premium Member
1,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I tried to rock that setup on my AT-94k pistol and I found that after putting a low profile rail on it I would cock it back and my finger would get smashed in between the corner of the rail and the cocking handle. Watch your fingers!

Amen to that. I'm actually thinking about having a rail welded on top at some point...maybe after I scratch it up a bit more so I can get it refinished at the same time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts