HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought my wife a new H&K VP9 and it stove pipes or FTF on every shot when she shoots it. When I shoot it I get Stove pipe at least once in 6 shots. I have disassembled and cleaned it and lightly oiled it in the prescribed areas. Same result. We are shooting Federal 115 grain FMJ. Same result with either magazine. She shot several magazines with the same ammo in her Glock 43 with no malfunctions. This gun is brand new. We also have a brand new Walther PPQ M1 and it functions perfectly for her. Any suggestions appreciated.

·
Premium Member
3,086 Posts
I would suggest running 124 grain ammo for the first couple hundred rounds, and watch her grip. My p30L malfunctioned quite a bit when I first got it, I didn't realize it needed 124 to "break in". Now it shoots anything. My vp9 runs any ammo, but when you say FTF do you mean failure to feed, or failure to fire? If it's happening every shot with her but not with you I am inclined to think it's either ammo or operator related.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Failure to feed and also does not lock the slide open on last shot. I'm going to buy a big box of 124 grain and see if they will run for her for a while.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Check to see if your finger is touching the slide release button with your grip, that's a common issue that has come up with the past with people new to the VP9. Especially since you said it's failing to lock back on last round.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Try using the Winchester 124gr NATO ammo to break it in. I'd use at least two boxes of it. It's got a little more mmmphh, like +p ammo.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Bought my wife a new H&K VP9 and it stove pipes or FTF on every shot when she shoots it. When I shoot it I get Stove pipe at least once in 6 shots. I have disassembled and cleaned it and lightly oiled it in the prescribed areas. Same result. We are shooting Federal 115 grain FMJ. Same result with either magazine. She shot several magazines with the same ammo in her Glock 43 with no malfunctions. This gun is brand new. We also have a brand new Walther PPQ M1 and it functions perfectly for her. Any suggestions appreciated.
When you lubed it did you lube the exterior of the barrel and also the slide groove on each side of the slide where it rides on the steel tabs in the frame?

If you were using Federal Champion ammo per chance that is about the weakest 9MM ammo you can buy. it's good ammo but not the best choice for breaking in a new pistol for the first couple hundred rounds.

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
I agree... it's usually either grip (limp wristing) or ammo (or a combo of both)... I had a break-in issue with my P30L (sold it - nothing to do with failures) and I took the advice of this forum and shot 124 gr ammo for a bit and it solved the problem. Failing to lock back after the last round is most likely as sprinter stated due to thumb/finger placement too near the slide release. A good friend of mine has this problem with my VP9 and had it with my P30L... he has big hands/thumbs and forgets to adjust his grip accordingly. Interestingly enough, he loves his HK45c and never had any issues...

I never had malfunction problems with any other 9mm pistol including my VP9, because from that point on, I decided to only shoot 124 gr since I can buy it online in bulk for the same price as 115 gr when on sale.

Good luck and enjoy it!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I suspected as much. I told her she might be limp wristing it because she doesn't have a lot of hand strength. I made sure she wasn't letting her finger rest on the slide but never thought about the mag paddles. I was planning on ordering her some type of grip exerciser to help her with pulling the slide back on both her pistols even though she doesn't seem to have as much problem with her G43. She is deadly with that thing. Shot a 7 yard group with 4 shots in the same hole in the bull and 1 shot 1" away straight left. Kicks my butt consistantly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yep, she is using the smallest back strap and smallest side panels and it fits her well with good trigger position. I think the 124 grain ammo and the grip may solve the problem.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts