HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So in my spare time I was looking through the HK parts website and they had fiber optic sights for a good price. So my question as a shooting noob, are they better then the night sights or are they just a gimmick and a way to part you from your ammo money?

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
So in my spare time I was looking through the HK parts website and they had fiber optic sights for a good price. So my question as a shooting noob, are they better then the night sights or are they just a gimmick and a way to part you from your ammo money?
Just my two cents... do not buy fiber optic only sights unless you intend on using your pistol primarily for competition or as an outdoor range toy. For home defense, conceal carry, etc., I would recommend either tritium nights sights (eg. Meprolight Tru Dots, Trijicon HDs) or a hybrid sight like the TFX Pros (tritium night sight with a fiber optic insert in front of the tritium vial). Fiber optic sights amplify existing light and are useless in dim light or no light. "Night Sights" use tritium which glows in the dark in dim light or no light. I have Meprolight Tru Dots, Trijicon HDs and TFX Pros on my HKs and Glocks... My Sig P226 has their version of Trijicon HDs (X-ray3 Night Sights I believe they are called) and I'm leaving my 1911 alone as I like those sights too...

I'm really impressed with the TFX Pros and the Trijicon HDs, but like anything else, it's a personal decision based on the intended use of your firearm.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I had a fiber optic on my xds. It does offer more contrast than just 3 dots. For the time and money it would cost to have them installed id save for a good set if night sights.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Just my two cents... do not buy fiber optic only sights unless you intend on using your pistol primarily for competition or as an outdoor range toy. For home defense, conceal carry, etc., I would recommend either tritium nights sights (eg. Meprolight Tru Dots, Trijicon HDs) or a hybrid sight like the TFX Pros (tritium night sight with a fiber optic insert in front of the tritium vial). Fiber optic sights amplify existing light and are useless in dim light or no light. "Night Sights" use tritium which glows in the dark in dim light or no light. I have Meprolight Tru Dots, Trijicon HDs and TFX Pros on my HKs and Glocks... My Sig P226 has their version of Trijicon HDs (X-ray3 Night Sights I believe they are called) and I'm leaving my 1911 alone as I like those sights too...

I'm really impressed with the TFX Pros and the Trijicon HDs, but like anything else, it's a personal decision based on the intended use of your firearm.
+1 fibers are awesome outdoors, but if it's a home/carry gun then Tritium will show up in all conditions.

·
Registered
216 Posts
are they better then the night sights or are they just a gimmick and a way to part you from your ammo money?
Fiberoptic and night sights are different, and generic three-dots are different still.
Here's my take on the three:

White three-dots are good under a wide range of conditions. They're great indoors, bad in the dark, and pretty good in bright sunlight.

Tritium is not as bright as White under most conditions, but you can see them when it gets dark.

Fiberoptic isn't very good in the dark, is pretty good indoors, and is awesome outdoors.

On the last gun I tricked out, I put a hybrid fiberoptic/tritium sight on it. For indoors, I still prefer the white three-dot, but the hybrids are great in the dark and in sunlight. So my recommendation, if you're going to change out your factory sights, get some kind of hybrid.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I am in the process of having my VP9 customized and plan to use Trijicon HD sights because I plan to carry it. As others have said nights sights for a carry gun and fiber optic for range competition gun.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok. Since the gun is not a carry gun, but. Ore home and range. I will look at th night sighs or combo and see what the price is. Thanks!

·
Teufelshund Tactical
7,226 Posts
Lots of great sight options out there from lots of different companies. It all comes down to you defining what your requirement is and then selecting the best sight to fit those requirements.
Fiber optic sights are great for rapid target acquisition during the day. This helps with outdoor range shooting or any sort of daylight competition work. In low light/no light conditions, fiber optic sights are not effective. So, not a recommendation for home defense or concealed carry.
Since for home defense or concealed carry, you need sights that will work well in both day and low light/no light conditions, you'd want to choose something with tritium. Again, a wide range of choices here.
What I will tell you is that the size of the front dot and with of that post, as well as the width of the rear sight notch, is also important. Sights light the Trijicon HD, which have a large painted circle around the tritium dot on the front sight, are very popular. They work very well for rapid target acquisition during the day at close range, but at distance, during the day, the large image on the front sight makes precision accuracy on a target more challenging. At night though, where all you see is the smaller tritium dot, this is not such a concern.
For me, I want a sight that works very well at close range and distance, so I look for a tritium sight system that has a narrow front sight and rear sight notch, thus allowing me to be more precise. Some companies, like Dawson Precision, offer a wide range of both fiber optic and tritium sight of varying sizes, in order to fit the specific needs of the customer.
In summary, you have lots of options, but it pays to do your homework and talk with people with solid experience. Giving a call to a specific company, bypassing the individual who answers the phone and instead asking for someone in their technical support department, can also prove to be helpful. Attending firearms training courses is also a great opportunity to try your sights out in a new environment, while also getting exposure, and hopefully a "test drive" on other offerings as well. Good training, which pushes you out of your comfort zone, will also help confirm for you what really works for you and what does not. I've often had students go a full 180 from their choices on sight selection during training courses.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Trijicon HD's are the best CCW/range/general purpose sights, in my opinion. Fiber optics never particularly impressed me and I like to be able to see my sights in the dark.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I have several VP9s, some with Mepro Night Sights, a couple with Trijicon HD and my new favorite, as well as coming on some VP9 from HK, TFX Pros. Great in daylight and in the dark. The sharp ledge on the Trijicon HDs bothers some folks. They all have the good/bad points, but I prefer the TFX Pros, at least for now.

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
I have several VP9s, some with Mepro Night Sights, a couple with Trijicon HD and my new favorite, as well as coming on some VP9 from HK, TFX Pros. Great in daylight and in the dark. The sharp ledge on the Trijicon HDs bothers some folks. They all have the good/bad points, but I prefer the TFX Pros, at least for now.
I agree with the TFX Pros once again... just installed them on my VP9 last night (I have them on my G19)... the best of both worlds. Well made and protected sights (sealed fiber optics and tritium vials)... the fiber optics glow super bright (green) in ambient/daylight with an orange ring on the front sight and the tritium inserts are plenty bright in darkness! ... and I like the Trijicon HDs (orange front) as "traditional" tritium night sights.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, I am new to this site and am looking for a Certified HK armorer that could install sights on my VP9 Tactical. I am in my mid 50's and the Trijicon HD's with the orange outline really make it easy for me to pick up the front sight quickly...any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
Hi, I am new to this site and am looking for a Certified HK armorer that could install sights on my VP9 Tactical. I am in my mid 50's and the Trijicon HD's with the orange outline really make it easy for me to pick up the front sight quickly...any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
What about Marine0303 (James)? He actually posted earlier on this thread and is a highly respected armorer on this forum.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts