HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I'm new to HK's but not handguns. I'm long on Rugers with sprinkles of Glock, S&W, and a few others. Two days ago I purchased a used VP40 from a reputable (i think) brick and mortar store in Houston, Collectors Firearms. They rated it as excellent condition and it looked good as new to me and to a friend I had along that trades guns as a hobby. Problem is that 3 times out of about 70 rounds, the slide did not fully return. It stopped about 1/4 inch from a full return. The ammo was WWB and Monarch. The unspent shells that I had to manually eject were roughed up a little at the base. I was using two different magazines. I wasn't keeping records, but I know the last two failures were with Monarch and the same magazine. They both occurred on the third to last bullet in the clip. I can't be sure of which magazine or ammo or clip position for the first failure. A visual inspection of the clips and firearm didn't reveal anything to my untrained eye. My next chance to test it is a week or two out and I will determine then if there is a relationship to ammo or clip and/or clip position. Maybe someone out there knows what this is???? I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Thanks

·
Registered
627 Posts
Wow thats a real bummer. Other than giving the barrel a good cleaning and see if it still happens I don't know what to tell you. Maybe there was some goo on it or something . Unless you cleaned it before you shot it.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
1. it's a magazine not a clip. whew, got that out of the way.
2. did you clean the weapon since you said it is used?
3. you are using **** ammo, use better.
4. try to isolate if it is a magazine problem or ammo problem as you stated
5. do you use a high grip where your thumb rests on the slide, possibly slowing it down?

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Ditch the steel cased Monarch and I bet your problems will be gone. My P30 .40 hates Russian steel cased and that's the only stuff it won't eat. I'm not sure why I even tried to feed it that. Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BigBoss...OK, no (my bad, opportunity to shoot came before opportunity to clean and it looked clean), OK, OK, no

One other clue...the slide would not be nudged closed, I had to eject the partially chambered round.

Thanks all

·
Registered
98 Posts
WWB is not the most reliable ammo I've put through guns. Weak charges were the cause of malfunctions for me in the past. Speer Lawman can be had for $209/1000 through SG Ammo in whatever grain weight you prefer. Runs like a champ.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update. I bought another clip, er...magazine for a total of 3. I cleaned the firearm and took it back to the range with 7 different ammos. I ran 5 shots through each magazine and the results were as follows. No failures with Winchester train and defend, Remington UMC, Hornady, Fiocchi, Magtech or Fed. American Eagle. But Monarch failed to fully feed with all three magazines. Speculation is the ejector pin/arm/whatever it's called (gun shy on terminology now, pun intended) wouldn't dance with the Monarch. The Monarch cartridges do go in the chamber easily enough. Bottom line, I think I have an excellent firearm and the magazines are fine. I just need to stay away from the lowest price ammo. Federal American Eagle is where I may buy bulk. That brand okay with ya'll? I will also check out Speer Lawman. Sounds like an awesome deal.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Where are you seeing this deal? I am seeing this for 9mm but not .40 like the OP has.
WWB is not the most reliable ammo I've put through guns. Weak charges were the cause of malfunctions for me in the past. Speer Lawman can be had for $209/1000 through SG Ammo in whatever grain weight you prefer. Runs like a champ.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts