HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how to completely take apart a VP70z? I need to replace the small spring and post that holds the take down latch in position. Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the link but it doesn't show how to take the gun apart to get to number 40 and 41. I have a breakdown schematic . It shows a pin through the takedown lever, but I'm unsure of how to get to it.

Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK since no one else has ever posted on taking down a HK VP70Z I guess I'll post my findings. I picked up a used VP70Z that has a few issues. First off the mag release lever tab was broken. Easy fix. I picked up a new lever from Numrich. Unscewed the small screw that runs through the release while pushing in on it to releave the spring pressure. swapped it out in 5 minutes. The other big issue was the take down retaining catch would fall down with little pressure and could fall under recoil. I intially figured it was the retension ball and or spring had either been removed or worn. I ordered those parts as well from Numrich. I could not figure out how the the retaining latch cameo out. I finally found a small roll pin that runs through it. The latch has to be in the mid position to see it. I drove this out (#39 on schmatic). this let you pullthe buffer bolt straight out the front of the gun (#38). With these out of the way you can depress the trigger and now pull the retaining catch down and out. This is when I discovered the retaining catch ball (bushing) was still in the gun. Unneeded parts going back to Numerich. After a few hours of scratching my head I realized the Threaded Ring (#32) was screwed all the way in and was below the face of the frame. Apparently this holds the Buffer spring guide (33) in place and this needs to be out a little to put for ward pressure on the back of the take down retaining catch for the retaining ball to seat into the face of the take down latch. Now it is snug and will not fall down unexpected. Hope this helps someone in the future.

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
Great job, the VP70 was truly ahead of its time, also the first polymer gun. I have always wanted one but never got around to picking one up. Let us know how it shoots..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey guys,

A customer brought in a VP70z in pieces that another shop was kind enough to take apart and then unable to put back together. I have looked at the schematic, but a picture of the fame internals and how they are laid out would be helpful. Can anyone post a few pictures? Need to see the placement of all the stuff in the back of the frame. Elbow spring, drive control, that kind of stuff.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Thanks for this thread Gordylew!

When the buffer and slide lock were out, does the trigger (21) come forward and out to the right as the schematic shows?

I am curious about replacing the trigger spring (22) and the rear plate (24) seems to be epoxied in on mine. I swapped the striker spring and it made the trigger considerably more usable (18 round mags were a nightmare with the stock trigger), but I believe the return on the trigger is still way heavier than it needs to be and would be interested in swapping it out.
Text Line art Font Diagram Illustration

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
So I took the plunge last night and took down my VP70z last night to figure it out.

To answer the question above, the slide take-down retaining catch (42) does not allow the trigger to come out. You will also have to take out the big pin at the rear (29) as well as the safety to get it out.

I would note that putting this part back together required making a thin flat shim from an aluminum can to compress the detent and spring (40 & 41) when re-inserting it. If you don't, you have a hole in the slide take down where it pops back up and locks up the re-insertion as you aren't able to compress the spring and detent. This took me about 25 minutes of frustration until I made the tool to solve it.

I also took the safety off, which has another tiny roll pin on the black "safe" side and then it comes out and releases the drop safety as well.

Gun Trigger Revolver Airsoft Starting pistol

I then proceeded to push the trigger spring guide bolt (23) out of the hole in the support plate (24) and then used really long skinny needle nose pliers to pull out the plate. It is not epoxied in. This gave me the access I needed to adjust the trigger spring.

Product

I may do another thread with the "how to do a trigger job for the VZ70z", but for those interested the dimensions of the spring are 2.138" long, .185" outside diameter, .016" wire thickness. I cut mine down to 1.315" and the trigger is still long like a staple gun, but now is about the same pull weight as a stock double action trigger at about 10 pounds (instead of the 18 plus pounds it was originally).

I want to thank the people in this forum for providing the starting information I needed to do this and I hope others will find this information helpful.

The VP70z is one of my favorite pistols for nostalgia and now to shoot.

Attachments

·
Banned
34,552 Posts
So I took the plunge last night and took down my VP70z last night to figure it out.

To answer the question above, the slide take-down retaining catch (42) does not allow the trigger to come out. You will also have to take out the big pin at the rear (29) as well as the safety to get it out.

I would note that putting this part back together required making a thin flat shim from an aluminum can to compress the detent and spring (40 & 41) when re-inserting it. If you don't, you have a hole in the slide take down where it pops back up and locks up the re-insertion as you aren't able to compress the spring and detent. This took me about 25 minutes of frustration until I made the tool to solve it.

I also took the safety off, which has another tiny roll pin on the black "safe" side and then it comes out and releases the drop safety as well.

View attachment 230224

I then proceeded to push the trigger spring guide bolt (23) out of the hole in the support plate (24) and then used really long skinny needle nose pliers to pull out the plate. It is not epoxied in. This gave me the access I needed to adjust the trigger spring.

View attachment 230222

I may do another thread with the "how to do a trigger job for the VZ70z", but for those interested the dimensions of the spring are 2.138" long, .185" outside diameter, .016" wire thickness. I cut mine down to 1.315" and the trigger is still long like a staple gun, but now is about the same pull weight as a stock double action trigger at about 10 pounds (instead of the 18 plus pounds it was originally).

I want to thank the people in this forum for providing the starting information I needed to do this and I hope others will find this information helpful.

The VP70z is one of my favorite pistols for nostalgia and now to shoot.
Excellent tutorial!!! :biggrin:

Tony

1 - 9 of 9 Posts