HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have this problem with their magazine not being able to load to their 15 rounds capacity? My VP9 came with 2 magazines. One of them I can load all 15 rounds. On the 2nd one, I cannot put anymore than 12 rounds. It just wouldn't go any further. Is this a faulty magazine problem?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Does anyone have this problem with their magazine not being able to load to their 15 rounds capacity? My VP9 came with 2 magazines. One of them I can load all 15 rounds. On the 2nd one, I cannot put anymore than 12 rounds. It just wouldn't go any further. Is this a faulty magazine problem?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have had no issues with my vp9 mags. My wife had similar ssues with her M&P 9 mags so we left the mags fully loaded (after the Maglula finally was able to get them loaded) and that "broke in the springs" and made it easier to get all the rounds in.

·
Registered
18,647 Posts
I have this happen to a few of my P30 mags. P30 and VP9 use the same mag, btw. These mags were bought new and have seen perhaps 1,000+ rounds. The issue started happening after 500 rounds or so. They still work if you push down on the follower a little harder when loading. When I clean my mags, I always put a thin layer of CLP around the spring. This seems to help with these problematic mags.

·
Registered
40 Posts
all 3 of my mags that came with my VP9T LE do 15 no prob

·
Registered
250 Posts
Sometimes I see this on new Glock mags, but it is with the last round. I found a trick to it though, with a mag loader, I'll gently work the mag spring up and down with it almost full. Then it loads just fine. Never had an issue with HK mags though.

·
Premium Member
3,086 Posts
I have 8 mags for my vp9 and p30L and all load easily with or without a loader. As others suggest I'd take it apart and see if you notice anything, but you may have gotten a bad mag. Good luck and please update.

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
Fortunately I've never experienced this problem. I always clean and lite lube the spring and magazine. Mag-Lula helps with the loading too. :biggrin:

·
Registered
417 Posts
I have 8 mags for my vp9 and p30L and all load easily with or without a loader. As others suggest I'd take it apart and see if you notice anything, but you may have gotten a bad mag. Good luck and please update.
I've had a similar experience with my HK VP9 mags. They all work perfectly and load easily to full capacity. Based on my experience, something isn't right with any of your mags that struggle to get in all 15 rounds.

·
Registered
422 Posts
No problems with my 6 VP9 15 round mags.

I do take them apart every few range sessions or so. I've also cleaned them after a match; dropping them in wet sandy Florida dirt is not terrific treatment.

I just pop off the floor plate with a chopstick, slide the spring and follower out, and wipe them down with a cloth. I don't recall but I don't think the manual specifies any lubrication? Anyway, I put them together dry.

Oh, and I always use a Maglula loader. For some reason I've never gotten the hang of the HK loader that came with the pistol.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have one mag that sometimes I can't load past 14. Gen I unload it and try again and it seems to work fine and loads 15. I have taken it apart and compared other known good mags. No rhyme or reason that I can find. Springs measure the same, followers, base plate, etc.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
I have a sample size of about 50 P30/VP9 mags and 1 out of every 6 or 8 will do this from time to time where a round won't stagger and it will ride and get stuck directly on top of the previously loaded round and take up space and not allow for loading to capacity. It stays that way due to spring tension and other roundsIf you pay attention while you load, you will notice your count and the reference holes on the back won't be in sync. We see this far more frequently in Glocks and is more noticeable with their reference holes.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I suspect this to be the culprit for mine also. Good explanation, thanks!

I have a sample size of about 50 P30/VP9 mags and 1 out of every 6 or 8 will do this from time to time where a round won't stagger and it will ride and get stuck directly on top of the previously loaded round and take up space and not allow for loading to capacity. It stays that way due to spring tension and other roundsIf you pay attention while you load, you will notice your count and the reference holes on the back won't be in sync. We see this far more frequently in Glocks and is more noticeable with their reference holes.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Oh, and I always use a Maglula loader. For some reason I've never gotten the hang of the HK loader that came with the pistol.
I *finally* got the hang of it. I also greatly prefer the Mag-Lula.

While somewhat similar looking, much different operation:

With the Mag-Lula, you squeeze and then press down on the loader to use the horizontal steel bar to hold down the top round to make room for the next one. The bar holds the top round down pretty deep, so you can then simply drop in the next round and let it slide freely in all of the way to the back wall of the magazine.

With the HK loader, the vertical tab/post inside the loader does not push the top round in the stack as far down as does the Mag-Lula. As a consequence, when you push down on the loader to make room for the next round, you must push the new round in under the feed lips, and the round can only be pushed back (against feed lip drag) until the back of the round touches the loader's vertical tab. You then pull the loader up to get the vertical tab out of the way of the new round and immediately press the new round to the rear wall of the magazine -- hopefully without delaying or fumbling so long that the new round pops out from under the feed lips before you can push it to the rear.

The HK loader (used by others -- the Glock loader that came with my wife's G43 appears essentially identical) is "usable," but the Mag-Lula is much faster and easier to use.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Fortunately I've never experienced this problem. I always clean and lite lube the spring and magazine. Mag-Lula helps with the loading too. :biggrin:
^^^^This!!! The mag springs can have a preservative coating on them to keep them from rusting. It tends to be sticky. Clean the springs and the inside of the mag body. Then wipe with an oily patch. I make a point to clean the guts on all new mags. I haven't had a new mag that didn't need it.

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
^^^^This!!! The mag springs can have a preservative coating on them to keep them from rusting. It tends to be sticky. Clean the springs and the inside of the mag body. Then wipe with an oily patch. I make a point to clean the guts on all new mags. I haven't had a new mag that didn't need it.
You nailed it.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I have a metal promag that somehow got a burr on the lip that stops the follower. It's hard to imagine this happening halfway down the body so that it sticks at 12 rounds, but not completely impossible I guess.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I *finally* got the hang of it. I also greatly prefer the Mag-Lula.

While somewhat similar looking, much different operation:

With the Mag-Lula, you squeeze and then press down on the loader to use the horizontal steel bar to hold down the top round to make room for the next one. The bar holds the top round down pretty deep, so you can then simply drop in the next round and let it slide freely in all of the way to the back wall of the magazine.

With the HK loader, the vertical tab/post inside the loader does not push the top round in the stack as far down as does the Mag-Lula. As a consequence, when you push down on the loader to make room for the next round, you must push the new round in under the feed lips, and the round can only be pushed back (against feed lip drag) until the back of the round touches the loader's vertical tab. You then pull the loader up to get the vertical tab out of the way of the new round and immediately press the new round to the rear wall of the magazine -- hopefully without delaying or fumbling so long that the new round pops out from under the feed lips before you can push it to the rear.

The HK loader (used by others -- the Glock loader that came with my wife's G43 appears essentially identical) is "usable," but the Mag-Lula is much faster and easier to use.
Great info.

Thank you!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts