HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have now put about 10,000 rounds through my HK VP9 and it is going strong. It has been in and out of a kydex holster countless times, and the finish shows only the lightest burnish. The springs seem unchanged from new. The bore looks perfect. This gun will last longer than I will.

The only problem I have has been a few instances lately of failure to extract brass that did not seem stuck in the chamber. I suspected a dirty extractor, and sure enough upon disassembly, there was a significant buildup of crud in the extractor channel and on the extractor itself. Easily cleaned with the extractor removed, but not otherwise.

What I want to relay is that removing the extractor is very, very easy. Turn the slide upside down and you will see a roll pin in the slide about where you can tell that the extractor pivots. Use a 3/32 in punch to lightly drive that pin toward the top of the slide. Doesn't have to be driven completely free. You can then easily remove the extractor, have it cleaned and lightly lubed like new, and back in the gun in less than a minute and a half. You will feel like Larry Potterfield, and your VP9 will be ready for another 10,000 rounds, :25:

Does anyone know when the recoil spring needs replacement?

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I've heard the numbers 10,000 and 20,000 tossed around, but AFAIK there is no official maintenance schedule for such things. I'd just keep shooting it until returning to battery starts to get squirrely. If you want to be safe you can go ahead and order a replacement to toss in your range bag.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Nice. good to know I ain't gonna wear mine out anytime soon. lots of IDPA matches to shoot.

Jordan

·
Registered
422 Posts
Thanks for the tip on cleaning the extractor. I find getting mine gunk free is kind of a pain.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
I read an email from HK customer service that a guy posted on another forum. He had emailed them asking when they recommend changing the spring, specifically if it should be every 3k rounds. They responded that there is no set count for change-out, but that they recommend it be sent in to be looked at by their armorer every 10k rounds. I imagine shipping would be on your dime, though.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I read an email from HK customer service that a guy posted on another forum. He had emailed them asking when they recommend changing the spring, specifically if it should be every 3k rounds. They responded that there is no set count for change-out, but that they recommend it be sent in to be looked at by their armorer every 10k rounds. I imagine shipping would be on your dime, though.
Thank you, I was planning to change mine after 5K Rounds, but I will go for the 10K.

Enjoy.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I think there are at least 2 or 3 threads here on HKPro relaying the same info from HK.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts