HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When my VP9 was a new, loading a full magazine would usually release the slide.
After the first couple months (1K rounds?), it would auto-forward only when slamming the magazine in.

What causes the auto-forward? How do I get it back? Is some dirty component stopping it?

·
Premium Member
3,990 Posts
"auto-forward" is common in all handguns, but more prevalent in polymer frame guns. as stated above, inertia often induces "auto-forward." However, this is not how the gun is designed to work, and is not something you should train, or count on. I can't begin to count the number of times I've watched shooters think their handgun has "auto-forwarded" when it did not, losing time on their re-load; they usually take a second or two to realize why the gun won't go BANG; if this was a defensive situation that could be the last 2 seconds of your life and your gun is not in battery.

I constantly hear people say their gun "ALWAYS" auto-forwards, only to later see those same people struggling with their reload because they've trained themselves to rely on what is essentially an inertia induced malfunction. Always train to reload as the gun was designed: MAG OUT, new MAG IN, slide release lever/or rack slide, then back on target and trigger. If you get an "auto-forward", ok get back on target/trigger, but DON'T RELY ON AUTO-FORWARD, Mr. Murphy will catch you with your shorts down at a time it really counts.....

Also, there is no good reason to slam magazines into your gun, there are a variety of things that can result from slamming magazines in, "auto-forwarding" being the least of these things. Basically, there is no good reason to beat the hell out of your gun.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In red, no less:

WARNING: Forcefully inserting a loaded magazine into many pistols may cause the
pistol’s slide to close, chambering a cartridge and making the pistol ready to fire.
When inserting a magazine, always be sure the VP pistol is pointed in a safe direction
with your fingers off the trigger and outside the trigger guard. Failure to do so could
cause you to unintentionally fire the pistol, resulting in serious injury or death

Thanks for the reply. I thought it was a mechanical feature...
The slide would have to be driven backward to allow the slide catch to drop. So a bump to the front of the magazine would probably do it more effectively than an even force.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Interesting thread. I’ve actually never experienced an “auto-into battery” action from simply inserting a mag. No matter how forceful I’ve inserted the magazine. Multiple makes and models firearms. Now I’m curious who all has experienced this. Never knew any model/make would do this if operating properly. I tend to use the slide lock as a release on all my pistols. Prefer this over the slingshoting of the slide. I know that is the proper way to do it. Just to me so much faster to hit the lock/“release” lever. Interesting!! I never slam a mag in that hard anyway I guess. I meaningfully do it, but not over aggressively.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow, thanks. This is my first pistol. When I was shopping and first handled the VP9, auto forward was explained like a feature. I'll make it happen again a couple times, just so I know what not to do.

·
Registered
69 Posts
My P30LS V3 has done this a couple of times. I thought it was pretty cool until a State Trooper mentioned not to rely on it, as it sometimes will not go into battery (as mentioned above).

·
Registered
158 Posts
Wow, thanks. This is my first pistol. When I was shopping and first handled the VP9, auto forward was explained like a feature. I'll make it happen again a couple times, just so I know what not to do.
Never listen to any gun shop commando..Especially one who thinks auto forwarding is a "feature" they don't know what their talking about. A few years back I took a training class and at one point we were doing reload drills, with two rounds in each mag, shoot until the gun was empty, reload, shoot until empty again..simple enough.. They way I was taught, when reloading the pistol, using your left hand, and holding the pistol up high enough to get in your "work space" insert the mag into the gun, (note:it's not nessessary to slam the mag in as hard as you can) and when the mag is seated, use your left thumb to pull the slide release down, and bring the pistol up and start firing.. The guy next to me was using a P-30, and was a auto forwarding advocate..I had just completed the drill and turned to see him slam the mag in so hard he almost knocked the pistol out of his hand, It did'nt auto forward..Suprised, he brought his left hand down and back, and hit the pistol hard, again, it did'nt auto forward.. He did it again, same results..by this time the instructor called a stop to the drill, and went over and asked him what he was doing..And, proceeded to use this as an example of what NOT to do.. Gamers like to use atuo forwarding, and that's fine in a game where if it dosen't work, all it's going to cost you is a few seconds on your score..In real life, out on the street, depending on a gamer trick to work when you really need it to, is really foolish..

·
Registered
70 Posts
The gun shop clerk said it was a "feature"? That's not good. Like a guy above said, it's merely an inertia effect due to how semi-auto pistol designed. If it happens, it happens. Auto-forward doesn't need to be treated like a disease or a malfunction. However, for M&P case, it was happening way too often, S&W had to do little touch up with current production. (So I heard from a source)

Some one also said auto-forward may not chamber a round but I don't think that's all correct. For a magazine that's been loaded up full or almost full will most definitely likely get a round stripped and chambered, but a magazine loaded with few round may have chance of having a round not get stripped to chamber.

Anyhow, I, too, don't think it's a reloading method I should rely on. If it happens, it happens. Otherwise, stick with regular routine.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
My USP and HK45C do this more often than not upon magazine insertion, especially if you do a hard insertion. Not really a "feature" but as many have said, inertia.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Thanks! I have had handguns that auto release slide on mag insertion. Now I realize I must train to always use the slide release or better yet sling shot the slide.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I can't find it, but hk has been noted as saying that the vp nine has this ability built in. The don't list it as a "feature" but...
Also as best as I can tell,
It's not just the force you use, but also the angle of Insertion. I say that cant say for certain, because I havent been able to master it reliably.
So I'd recommend trying the angles you pop the mags at, check the edges of ur mags where the would contact the upper mechanicals, and the ummmm... Sorry long night at work and brain freezing up... Check for any bending of the part the mag hits when you insert it slide rearward
Edit- also, if you are practicing, while slingshotting can be thmost intuitive, and easiest, it's not recommended as A) you can inadvertently "ride" the slide during high stress. And B) for combat training I recommend training one handed manipulation as much as possible.

·
Registered
5,509 Posts
Don't count on physics, train on the firearms manual of arms so you don't get surprised when operating your firearm.

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Reactions: LCSO264

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
The empty mag follower flips/raises the slide lever/catch and locks the slide open, the recoil spring acts against the catch and jams the slide back. The mag top round lowers the follower so it clears the catch, thumbing the slide lever or pull/slingshot the slide back releases the catch, slide closes to battery.
It’s a simple mechanical design and 99.8 of autos apply this principle. There is no (reliable) mag insert technique, just physics.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts