HKPRO Forums banner

41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
Got a VP9, took it home and cleaned and oiled it. Came fairly oily from the factory.
Did not rack the slide or lock the slide back at all, so only worked the slide a couple of times.
Bought 1000 rounds of S&B 115g "target fodder". I know, should have gotten 124g NATO.
Took it to the range and...
Failure after failure after falilure. Fail to Feed, Fail to Ejects, slide not locking back after last shot, and a couple of closing slide and chambering first round on magazine insert (auto forwarding). Shot 200 rounds through it and honestly, I could not get through one magazine without a failure.
Now when it was firing, it was awesome! Most accurate handgun I have shot and I love it.

I think the FTF, FTE, and slide not locking back can be fixed with some 124g NATO ammo.
The recoil spring does some pretty tight. It requires much more effort than the demo model at the store, so either I have a .40 spring (is that possible?) or it will loosen up a litte with break-in?
I also think the auto forwarding is just from slamming the magazine in too hard, I just wished it was every time or never, in other words consistent. But each time I insert a mag, the force isn't consistent so that I will just have to try and manage.

So brought it home and really cleaned and oiled. Read the manual again, watched some youtube VP9 cleaning videos, and honestly I don't think there is a cleaner "used" VP9 on the planet at this moment. lol I've been racking the slide and left the slide locked back overnight. Will get some 124g ammo and see how she does next time.

Don't get me wrong, love the VP9 and look forward to thousands of rounds threw it. Just my experience. I'm sure most of this was due to "user error" and the choice of ammo.
Run 3 or 4 boxes of NATO thru it to get the RSA sorted out, it should run well after that.

S&B is usually pretty stout, but it's not NATO, SD ammo is usually pretty hot, but will cost more.

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Reactions: Hatchman

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sorry to hear that about your new VP9. S&B ammo is usually pretty stout, even 115, so I am surprised to hear this and you may have more going on assuming you are using good grip technique. As far as lube be sure to lube the entire slide rail on each side of the slide where it rides on the steel frame tabs and also lightly lube the entire exterior of the barrel. Hope things go better next range trip.
I am certain I did not lube the entire exterior of the barrel nor ensure to lube the entire slide rail where it contacts the steel frame tabs on the original cleaning before the range. I did lube the steel frame tabs well but only lightly hit the slide and exterior of the barrel. Thanks for the info and will ensure it is lubed properly from now on.

I was changing up my grip, seeing if that was causing the problem. I changed up using different pressures, tensions, and thumb positions but it didn't see to make any impact on the failures. The VP9 fits my hand so great and feels so good, I just love shooting it. Have all the medium grip parts on it now, but may try on the large and small just to make sure the mediums are best.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Can't say any of my VP9s, full size or SK, have ever had an issue. First one I acquired, I ran Blazer Brass 115 through it from round 1, worked like a champ, as expected.

I do clean any new HK, MPro7 gun cleaner, then use Slip2000 EWL (as does HK CS). I gone as many as 1800 rounds without cleaning, lubing or doing anything other than shoot my VP9 range toy.....23K rounds of flawless performance.

Either run some 124g, lock slide back overnight, or check your grip. Use only new, brass cased ammo from major OEMs, there are so many. Sounds like an ammo problem more so than the pistol.
I used Rem Oil by Remington and some Outer's gun oil. Didn't use any Hoppe's solvent as I assume there wouldn't be much carbon if there was only one test fire (no spent shell casing in the box, I believe HK stopped including it around 2016).

Reading some reviews on the Slip 200 EWL, will get some.

I have already ordered 400 rounds of Fiocchi 124g FMJTC, and I have the slide locked back, and will check out some youtube videos on grip, just to make sure.

Totally agree on the brass cased only ammo, that is all I will buy now, though I have bought some non-brass in the past.

23K rounds is a lot! Hope to be there one day. I don't think I have shot that much in my life, let alone one handgun. Hat is off to you, Sir!

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I used Rem Oil by Remington and some Outer's gun oil. Didn't use any Hoppe's solvent as I assume there wouldn't be much carbon if there was only one test fire (no spent shell casing in the box, I believe HK stopped including it around 2016).

Reading some reviews on the Slip 200 EWL, will get some.

I have already ordered 400 rounds of Fiocchi 124g FMJTC, and I have the slide locked back, and will check out some youtube videos on grip, just to make sure.

Totally agree on the brass cased only ammo, that is all I will buy now, though I have bought some non-brass in the past.

23K rounds is a lot! Hope to be there one day. I don't think I have shot that much in my life, let alone one handgun. Hat is off to you, Sir!
Just trying to help out, Hatchman.

FWIW, I've tried pretty much all gun cleaners and oils over time, and find MPro7 Cleaner to be most effective (and clean, it's non-toxic and doesn't smell like ammonia) and Slip2K EWL makes it just stupid easy to 'wipe' a pistol clean. An armorer at HK advised that's what they use when returning firearms to their owners, so I switched from MPro7 LPX and admitted the Slip2k is actually better.

Based on my experience, get the EWL 30, as it's thicker than standard EWL and stays put for storage, where some EWL folks said during extended storage the standard weight EWL tends to run a bit.

You'll like Foicchi, it's pretty warm. FWIW, I buy by the case, whatever is 'on sale' or least expensive range ammo. I've used and still do, not necessarily in order of preference, as if goes bang when told, it's fine with me: S&B, Fiocchi, Geco, Ruag/MEN, Winchester NATO (no other Winchester other than Ranger T series SD ammo), Speer Lawman, Federal AE, Blazer Brass....all can be found quite cheap and have proven 100% reliable based on my experience.

BTW, that's 23K through one VP9, if add all the others up, more like 40K :)

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
Don't take this the wrong way, but is there any chance you're limp wristing it? That would cause all of the issues you experienced. I've had multiple VP9's and never had an issue when firing other than my gigantic hand hitting the slide stop and causing it to not lock back on the last round. I have, however, seen issues with shooters using my gun with less sound mechanics.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Don't take this the wrong way, but is there any chance you're limp wristing it? That would cause all of the issues you experienced. I've had multiple VP9's and never had an issue when firing other than my gigantic hand hitting the slide stop and causing it to not lock back on the last round. I have, however, seen issues with shooters using my gun with less sound mechanics.
Not entirely impossible that I was limp wristing it. I try to get good isometric tension, pushing forward with my right hand while pulling back with my left hand, as well as splitting my grip 30/70 with gripping about 30% with my right hand and 70% with my left. I don't use a death grip, but I thought it was firm. I know I was high on my grip because the knuckle of my right thumb is good and sore from rubbing the dovetail. I changed the back strap from Medium to Small so I can move my thumb knuckle further to the left and not resting on the dovetail. I'll work on it and see if a tighter grip makes a difference. Thanks!

·
Registered
70 Posts
It's gotta be the ammo or the spring. Work with other ammo to see if you can eliminate the ammo from the equation. If it's not the ammo, save your agony and have H&K take care of it.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Here is a video on grip that may be helpful if you have not seen it yet. I personally am not worried about getting 30/70 with the grip but experimenting with what works best for an individual. I grip pretty hard with strong hand too, but not death grip hard, and am still able to isolate trigger finger movement from rest of the hand.

If you still have problems I would see if there is a range master or another experienced shooter that could test shoot your pistol to see what their experience is.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Here is a video on grip that may be helpful if you have not seen it yet. I personally am not worried about getting 30/70 with the grip but experimenting with what works best for an individual. I grip pretty hard with strong hand too, but not death grip hard, and am still able to isolate trigger finger movement from rest of the hand.

If you still have problems I would see if there is a range master or another experienced shooter that could test shoot your pistol to see what their experience is.
Thanks for the link. Just watched the video three times. lol . I am sure that will help, caught some things I was doing wrong.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Heyas hatchetman!
Congrats on thnew purchase, but I'm sorry to hear that she's not running as she should!
You asked about the recoil spring. Yes, all the newer vp9s run a . 40 recoil spring. Hk went to this after suppression issues with the lighter 9mm spring.
I would also recommend possibly having another shooter fire some rounds through to make sure their grip doesn't cause the same issues.
Also make sure that you aren't riding the slide lever.
Generally speaking, the VP9 will eat just about anything after being broken in. If you keep having issues, call hk. If they ask you to send it in, do so thru your ffl dealer, it will save you at least 100 bucks.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
I have never needed to break in an HK.
Me either, I actually run several loads during the first range trip and I have not
had any malfuntions whatsoever with my 2 vp9's both full size and that's with
suppressed and non. After 200rds with zero malfunction I feel confident to carry.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Assuming RSA is the silver, not red, a quick 'fix' is lock slide back, leave overnight. I did that when they were released on one of my VP9s, to see what all the buzz was about, then it ran even Blazer Brass 115 without a hiccup.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Me either, I actually run several loads during the first range trip and I have not
had any malfuntions whatsoever with my 2 vp9's both full size and that's with
suppressed and non. After 200rds with zero malfunction I feel confident to carry.
The only issues I've ever had, after nearly 75K cumulative rounds was ammo related. Had 5 FTRB with a bad batch a couple years back of Win NATO, hasn't happened since. I did get a bad batch of GECO (US Made, not Euro) 45acp that wouldn't chamber in my HK45, tossed that ammo, and no issues since...

I've never, ever had an issue with SD loads, all Gold Dot, HST or Federal LE 115 +P+ (cuz it's fun to shoot), Critical Duty or even FTX. Total confidence in carrying any HK.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I bought mine, broke it down and did a deep clean on everything. Oiled it and dry fired until I was able to get to the range. A few hundred rounds and another cleaning saw it broken in. Dry fire after that it didn't do much more for the action.

·
Registered
6 Posts
So, on my second trip to the range with my BNIB VP9. Took all the great advice from you gents, and she ran beautifully.
This is what I did:
1. Oiled the outside of the barrel, slide and slide guides with a nice coat of oil, but not too much so it was runny.
2. Kept the slide locked back overnight.
3. Racked the slide a few dozen times, broke it down, wiped it down, and oiled it again, just to make sure.
4. Bought several hundred rounds of Fiocchi 124g FMJTC. Will by it by the 1000 round case next time.

So started off at the range with 15x rounds of the 124g. Noticed right off the bat it was a little warmer than the 115g S&B. Not much, but I could feel the difference. The Fiocci burned cleaner and less smoke as well. I like it.
Next mag, took my chances back with 115g S&B and it ran great as well. Felt a little less recoil but had a little more smoke. But it ran it without a hitch.
So put all 200 rounds of the Fiocchi 124G and all 50 of the S&B thru the VP9, and by the end of the day was shooting on average a 5 inch pattern at 10 yards.

I am pretty sure the oil and keeping the slide racked back and the warmer ammo made a difference. Pretty confident after 250 rounds of trouble free operation that it isn't a manufactur defect and good to go.

Thanks again for all the help!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello guys I'm new here.

I've just ordered a VP9 and it's on the way to my dealer.

This is my first firearm so I just need you guys' suggestions about the break in.

Thanks!
I’ve never had to break in an H&K, but lubing it is standard practice, and the guys who have a VP9 seem to have some good advice. But no break in nonsense is something I expect from H&K, I’m a little disappointed to hear that some models are now requiring a break in period.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I’ve never had to break in an H&K, but lubing it is standard practice, and the guys who have a VP9 seem to have some good advice. But no break in nonsense is something I expect from H&K, I’m a little disappointed to hear that some models are now requiring a break in period.
Most people don't have any issue breaking in an HK, personally never had an issue, and I have a few handfuls of HKs to base my experience on. Designed for 124g ammo, so light loads when new, especially if not cleaned first, MAY be an issue for some.

Notice, this guy didn't clean first, just took it out and pew, pew...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GY3bcPi7SGA VP9 OOB
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSGEYl9a7Oc P30 LEM OOB
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3SeGMUISfM P30L OOB

·
Registered
346 Posts
I broke my VP9SK in on 115 grain ammo and had 1 or 2 fail to eject...switched to 124 HP Golden Sabres and had no issues...

·
Premium Member
801 Posts
Any new pistol with strong and high quality springs will benefit from locking back the slide and loading up the mags and allowing to sit a day or two. Just my experience with every HK I have owned. Some never needed that treatment but others, a VP9 and a P30l iirc, did. Won’t hurt either way.

41 - 60 of 62 Posts