HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The load chamber indicator/extractor on my VP9 is not very pronounced when loaded, really isn't a problem. But it got me thinking about a mod on the top rear portion of the barrel hood. Has anyone considered putting a notch in it similar to the ones on a S&W M&P or Kimber, it would allow a visual indicator. I have access to a mill and it wouldn't take much, only deep enough to see the rim of the cartridge.

Just thinking out loud

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
The red on the extractor and the red dot on the back of the slide are not enough for you?
I would consider a water pistol then, IMO.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The red on the extractor and the red dot on the back of the slide are not enough for you?
I would consider a water pistol then, IMO.
The striker cocking indicator has zero to do with whether or not a cartridge is chambered. OP, I can't see how milling a notch in the barrel hood would hurt a thing provided it's no larger than necessary.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
I can't see how milling a notch in the barrel hood would hurt a thing provided it's no larger than necessary.
Removing weight off a perfectly engineered slide could easily affect the performance.
If you need to see a loaded cartridge within... I ask why? When one loads a magazine and racks the slide, its a no brainer. If that fails a person, racking back the slide to check is so simple, however unnecessary since HK gave you that red paint on the extractor that only appears when a cartridge is chambered.
Why does one need to see within? That has never been since the dawn of arms. Until clear steel comes out, the indicators do well enough for anyone with eyesight and even the blind shooter could feel its braille as it is extended from the slide when loaded..

But for those who like to paint, cut, dice, slice and melt... go for it. I don't ever see Orberndorf seeing it as needed or it would have been there already.
A person who would needs more, scares me and I would much prefer they try a water pistol :biggrin:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Monkey, you must be an expert. I bow down to you as you know what everyone needs. No I don't need anything more than what HK provided, otherwise I would have bought something else. I have no issues knowing the condition of my firearm. when I load it in the morning and put it in my holster, there is no question during the day that it is still loaded. No bullet fairy came and stole it. It was just a conversation at work so I thought I'd put it out here, I certainly didn't expect to be told I should get a water pistol twice. This is my fist post on this forum, not my first post ever and based on your reply this my just be the only one.

·
Registered
155 Posts
That's one thing I have to say is nicer about my Walther PPS M2, you can literally see there's a round in the chamber from the top through the little notch cut out at the top.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
I certainly didn't expect to be told I should get a water pistol twice. This is my fist post on this forum, not my first post ever and based on your reply this my just be the only one.
In my first post, I had asked a question in my opening sentence.
In the second one... I replied and ended with the word "then"

You just typed that it is not you asking for yourself bu co-workers. Therefore, the water pistol remark does not apply to you, now does it, "then"?
In my second post, a reply to another party and their statement... I ended with, "a person who needs more scares me..." "and I would much prefer they try a water pistol." Again, based on your statement that it was your co-workers and not you... How does my water pistol remark pertain to you, at all?

Welcome to the site. Opening posts are normally made in the Rookie forum to introduce oneself.
Grow a thicker skin as ribbing occurs here is a norm defense to show green users about these defense weapons that are made by one of the most serious defense small arms companies in the world. This is not a Walther or block forum where their companies pander to low bids and consumer fun.
HK cares about all users but the arms are designed for the most serious professionals out there in harms way. That is why they do not make 22s but rather, license them out to Walther, for them to make at low costs, for fun times.

If I remark that cutting out parts of the slide or chambers may not be wise, it is because I have that directly from one of the most reliable in the know.
If I remark that some should consider water toys... it comes from decades of experience, knowledge and seeing what happens when the green person expecting a toy ends up like, when they treat things like dress up toys. That's all.

Nothing was ever directed at you as insult or otherwise. I do not know you.

The current extractor is well engineered and shows in red as well as Braille for darkness detection instantly, for those needing to know in a defensive split second.

When you mess around with the finest in German engineering... would it not be better to buy a lessor arm and play with it, rather than diminish the value, strength, endurance and performance of an arm considered the best to come out in 2014 by most all the world? I would think so.
your co-workers might like to know of that reality, I would think, unless of course you work at Micky D's, which I tend to doubt, you do :biggrin:

Don't let your co-workers send you off in any directions that might not end well for you down the road.

IF, this post hurts your feelings or gets your panties bunched... aisle 3 for new panties and aisle 5 for their shields. :300000000:

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
That's one thing I have to say is nicer about my Walther PPS M2, you can literally see there's a round in the chamber from the top through the little notch cut out at the top.
In my opinion, that is like training wheels on a beginner's sidearm.
Those who buy the big boy arms should know, or train properly to understand, the value of the higher end defense arms which are H&K.
:biggrin: Nothing personal.

·
Registered
155 Posts
In my opinion, that is like training wheels on a beginner's sidearm.
Those who buy the big boy arms should know, or train properly to understand, the value of the higher end defense arms which are H&K.
:biggrin: Nothing personal.
What the heck does training have to do with having side-view marginally ineffective loaded chamber indicator, vs. a highly effective open top view loaded chamber indicator? By your logic, there should be NO loaded chamber indicator on the "big boy" HK VP9 since everyone can overcome this with training and shouldn't rely on it, yet HK felt it necessary to include one for some reason. They just included one that doesn't work as well. So I presume you've written to HK management chastising them for including something that is equivalent to "training wheels" on their product. Pfffft...

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
side-view marginally ineffective loaded chamber indicator, vs. a highly effective open top view loaded chamber indicator?
WOW!
1. Red painted indicator
2. You can see the brass rim if you view from the side
3. Braille for when one is blind and does not have light to see with.

And your mind thinks that is "side-view marginally ineffective loaded chamber indicator"? I am not certain the HK is the ineffective part of tha equation, though I'd put $100 on what I know it is. :biggrin:

Many rack slides at a cant. Muscle memory makes it a natural maneuver to look. Flipping the barrel toward seagulls is unnatural to some.

I see absolutely no training wheels with HK ever.
As one evolves, they need less help. Its simply a part of nature.
Personally, I think the three are more fine.

Again... Panty shields, aisle five. Big boy panties, aisle six. HK" aisle eleven and beyond. :biggrin:

Nothing personal, just battling in the argument of advanced engineering. To a Walther guy.

·
Registered
232 Posts
WOW!
1. Red painted indicator
2. You can see the brass rim if you view from the side
3. Braille for when one is blind and does not have light to see with.
Let's be fair here. The "red painted indicator" is still red when it's not loaded, and barely more red (like 0.1mm more) when loaded. The physical feel between loaded and unloaded is almost imperceptible. This is true of all the HKs I own.

If we were being honest, the HK loaded chamber indicator is pretty poor at indicating a loaded chamber. If we were being honest, we'd also stop pretending that it's a loaded chamber indicator. It's an extractor. Period. Probably the only reason why it's called a loaded chamber indicator is because some states, or some police bid specs, might require a loaded chamber in some deluded thinking that it'll prevent people from shooting themselves, and adding a bit of red paint to the top of the extractor is a near zero effort endeavor that ticks that checkbox. It certainly isn't "advanced engineering."

I think if HK really wanted to make a loaded chamber indicator, it'd work a lot better. You'd be able to feel it and see it easily, for sure. But I don't think they ever wanted to, especially since no one seems to want a loaded chamber indicator. A lot of high quality premium handguns have no loaded chamber indicator, or at most, something that mimcs HK's attempt. Handguns that do have a legitimate indicator seem to get ridiculed for having this huge, unnecessary contraption on the slide (I'm looking at you, Ruger).

Fact is, very few people want a loaded chamber indicator. Either do a press check (which is what most of the tactical operators that operate appear to be doing on YouTube), or, even simpler, squeeze the trigger (while pointing the gun at something you don't mind getting destroyed, please!). The OP is free to do whatever he wants with his gun, but to me, it's not worth destroying the value, and potentially, the reliability, of a good gun, especially since most people rely on other more universal methods to accomplish the same thing.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
estes, please stop being a **** to new people. If loaded chamber indicators are such a worthless idea, why are so many manufacturers doing them now? "Not necessary" and "no added value" are NOT the same thing. The relative ineffectiveness of the VP9's indicator is well documented and agreed upon, and appeared in I'm pretty sure every review I read or watched before buying one. The red IS visible without a chambered round except from directly above. It's only BARELY more visible with a round chambered. Not enough to easily see from straight down, i.e. the only angle where it works as go/no go. I personally look for brass glint in the ejection port to check the chamber.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Here's the port on the PPS, as you can see it leaves no doubt there's a round in the chamber. My only point was this is clearly a more effective "loaded chamber indicator" than the red slit on the side of the VP9. I'm not advocating the use of it for any specific purpose, nor am I saying that any pistol NEEDS this feature, nor have I stated how I actually use it myself.

PPS_ECI.jpg

·
Registered
5,318 Posts
Do a visual chamber check by drawing the slide back until you see Brass, this is exactly why the front cocking serrations are there ... That and the other loaded chamber features should be sufficient. I never trust indicators anyway, chamber checks work best to put my mind at ease ... YMMV

1 - 15 of 15 Posts