HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was browsing through HK parts and noticed they have 'Enhanced Slide Plate Covers' which made out of Titanium and aluminum but the price is pretty stiff for something like this..IMO.
Those of you who has it on their VP9, is there any benefit other than purely cosmetic enhancement? Does fitment same/better than OEM?
Lastly, is there any tutorial video on how to install this slide plate? Tried to search but couldn't find it..

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There was a video on YouTube how to do it a while back but it is similar to the way Glock or M&P back plates remove
I know how to detail strip Glocks but I heard it is really easy to damage sleeve on VP9 if I'm not careful with it. I certainly do not want to use my gunsmith over this simple upgrade but I don't want to damage my brand new gun at the same time..

·
Teufelshund Tactical
7,226 Posts
I know how to detail strip Glocks but I heard it is really easy to damage sleeve on VP9 if I'm not careful with it. I certainly do not want to use my gunsmith over this simple upgrade but I don't want to damage my brand new gun at the same time..
...speak of the devil

·
Teufelshund Tactical
7,226 Posts
Haha, I might have to use you near future for a new Trigger install and some other internal upgrades soon..
Always happy to help.

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
I was browsing through HK parts and noticed they have 'Enhanced Slide Plate Covers' which made out of Titanium and aluminum but the price is pretty stiff for something like this..IMO.
Those of you who has it on their VP9, is there any benefit other than purely cosmetic enhancement? Does fitment same/better than OEM?
Lastly, is there any tutorial video on how to install this slide plate? Tried to search but couldn't find it..
I guess because it does not have the opening like the stock slide plate cover, it helps keep dirt and other contaminants, etc., out of the slide...

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I guess because it does not have the opening like the stock slide plate cover, it helps keep dirt and other contaminants, etc., out of the slide...
I see, that makes sense. I think I'm going to pull the trigger on this.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Does anyone know the weight difference between the aluminum, titanium, & stock covers?

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
I installed one of the first versions of this with intent to better close off openings in the end plate to help keep debris out. The part appeared to be nicely made upon receipt. Once installed I discovered that although the end was now closed over the striker, the V notch had substantially more open area than the factory version, defeating the purpose in my opinion as there was at least as much open area for debris intrusion as the factory component. I removed and returned to HK Parts with an email of my observations. Hope this has been remedied in their more recent parts machining.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I replaced the Slide plate cover with the Titanium model as well as the firing pin assembly sleeve to enhance longevity and performance not for aesthetics. Here is a post the I made about the process: http://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-handg...eeve-aluminum-improved-model.html#post1940945

There is also a video link on HKParts.net on installing these parts.

I did it because I felt like the existing parts were not suitable because they are plastic. Perhaps I am over stating a potential problem, but I felt like Titanium and hard anodized aircraft grade Aluminum were superior to plastic. The fit and finish of these parts is superior to the original parts.

I have fired 500 to 600 rounds through this pistol since installing these parts and have had zero failures of any type.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I installed one of the first versions of this with intent to better close off openings in the end plate to help keep debris out. The part appeared to be nicely made upon receipt. Once installed I discovered that although the end was now closed over the striker, the V notch had substantially more open area than the factory version, defeating the purpose in my opinion as there was at least as much open area for debris intrusion as the factory component. I removed and returned to HK Parts with an email of my observations. Hope this has been remedied in their more recent parts machining.
Can anyone comment on this? Comparison photos?

·
Registered
162 Posts
The notched cutout on the bottom edge of the metal part is larger than the original plastic part but the overall height of the metal version is 0.034" taller than the original plastic as well which gives more coverage / closer fit on the bottom of the plate between it and the frame. I think that this combined with the loss of the hole for the firing pin indicator gives more total coverage. But that is not the only reason that I changed out these parts. I was not comfortable with plastic in these critical parts.

VP9ESCTi04.jpg

·
Registered
162 Posts
Not necessary in the slightest.
Perhaps, but I did not like the fact that the pressure of the firing pin spring presses on a thin plastic tube and up against a not very precisely made plastic slide plate. The replacement parts fit better, and are stronger. I feel a lot more comfortable with these parts than the originals, YMMV.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Perhaps, but I did not like the fact that the pressure of the firing pin spring presses on a thin plastic tube and up against a not very precisely made plastic slide plate. The replacement parts fit better, and are stronger. I feel a lot more comfortable with these parts than the originals, YMMV.
I saw a vp9 review after 20,000 shots and there were no mention about the slide plate or sleeve wear. Yes, they are definately stronger than oem plastic but I don't think it's a 'must' upgrade for this pistol. But there is nothing wrong with paying for a peace of mind and personalized aesthetics.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Any user feedback on these enhanced slide caps?
I like the one that I have installed and it did not hurt reliability in the least. I have fired several hundred rounds through my VP9 since installing these two parts with zero failures. The pistol more than likely would be completely reliable with the original parts but I feel more comfortable with Titanium alloy and aircraft grade hard anodized Aluminum alloy than plastic parts in these two critical parts, YMMV.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I purchased a slide plate myself simply for aesthetics. I like the cocked striker indicator myself so I chose to keep that feature by purchasing the one with the window. I gotta say the machining is perfect and closes off any gap between the slide and the plate. I wrote a review on HK Parts of you wanna check it out.

Haven't had any issues with the plate so far (honestly don't think I will either). Anyway here are some photos showing the black aluminum plate on my VP9. I love how it doesn't protrude like stock plastic and sits flush up against the rear of the slide.
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

1 - 20 of 26 Posts