HKPRO Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
18,647 Posts
Thanks for the Block pic.

I used a small punch to depress the VP Support Sleeve and made a dent on the sleeve, but I then used the blade of a small, flat-tipped screwdriver and no dents or damages to the sleeve. But based on your pics, the VP one does look less robust.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thanks for the Block pic.

I used a small punch to depress the VP Support Sleeve and made a dent on the sleeve, but I then used the blade of a small, flat-tipped screwdriver and no dents or damages to the sleeve. But based on your pics, the VP one does look less robust.
A lot of this choice is based on my personal preferences and a desire to have something more robust to “me-proof” the assembly in case I do something wrong. I in no way think Hk has provided us with garbage...I just don’t think they accounted for my clumsiness.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
346 Posts
Wouldn't an aluminum or metal sleeve cause more wear and tear from contact with the firing pin channel than the plastic one.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Wouldn't an aluminum or metal sleeve cause more wear and tear from contact with the firing pin channel than the plastic one.
Steel slide/channel, aluminum sleeve. Aluminum loses as it is softer than steel. Regardless, once everything is buttoned up, what’s inside the sleeve is what moves.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I recently replaced the plastic support sleeve in my VP9 with the HKparts product. It was a pretty easy fix to a potential weakness for those of us that like to clean the firing pin channel. Since I bought this VP9 used and I don't know how many rounds have been put through it I also went ahead and also replaced the firing pin with the HKparts titanium version.

I also recently purchased a new VP9SK and will probably end up replacing the plastic sleeve in that one too.

Thanks for the link to the stainless steel version, I'll bookmark it. If I detect any long term wear on the aluminum version I might try that one later.

Regards,

BillMac

·
Registered
192 Posts
Though very robust when assembled, the internal components of the VP9 are relatively delicate individually; easily damaged. Quite simply, this is not a pistol that guys should be taking apart and putting back together again repeatedly, especially if they are not skilled and have the correct tooling. Although the blanket statement of "HK Certified Armorer" exists for detailed work on all of their weapons, it is especially true with the VP9.
I definitely agree with this, James-and thanks for the response based on your established expertise and skill-sets. The good news is that the overall robustness of the VPs should preclude the need for frequent disassembly beyond field-stripping...but I still have a nagging concern if when my VP is used for back-country excursions, and I dump the gun in a muddy stream/river, will a field-strip/cleaning be sufficient to restore operability?

Agreed, this is probably an exceptionally rare scenario-particularly for the majority of us. And it's encouraging (or, conversely, a huge leap of faith) for sizable German LEOs jumping on board with the platform (or a testament to operator care, holsters used, and/or armorer skills and maintenance protocols).

It'll be interesting to see how the VPs hold up when fielded. And I say this as an owner of both a VP and P30 (although for duty use, I'm preferential to the P30 with its V1 LEM).

Best, Jon

·
Registered
10 Posts
I forgot to mention that there was a guy on YouTube showing how to replace the support sleeve which I found helpful. I was having trouble removing the slide plate off the back and was looking around for help. This may help the original poster.

https://youtu.be/zKm-CUjcV-0

·
Registered
558 Posts
21 - 28 of 28 Posts