HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to the group. is it common for the vp9 to have a gritty trigger? seems as if there is a false wall, then to press back to fire the gun. the reset has alot of travel and then there is quite a bit of take up to get back to the firing position. im not new to fire arms, if i compare the vp9 to my canik tp9fs, bretta apx, sig p320 or cz p10-c thay all have much better triggers than the vp9. i love the ergo of the gun, trigger just doesnt seem right for what HK quality is known for. i bought the gun new, have approx 800 rounds of 124 grain through it to break the gun in but trigger has not smoothed out. i am hoping that there is a simple fix vs dropping in an after market trigger to get this gun up to the standard of what i would say are lesser quality guns.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Sounds normal. VP9 triggers are not the smoothest, shortest, and most crisp in the market. I felt the same way when I compared my VP9 to my Walther PPQ trigger, which I think is the best striker-fire trigger there is. Even after 5500 rounds on my VP9, I can't really detect a change in the trigger. But overall, out of the box, the VP9 is an outstanding gun. It's just different as it should be.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you have a lot more rounds than i do through the gun so I value your input. I may have to make some spring and trigger changes to get it to my liking I guess. I wasn't expecting it to be a smooth as my shadow 2 but I was expecting it to be better than the beretta and canik.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I was disappointed in my VP40 trigger as well after reading what a great trigger they have. Still a well built, reliable pistol with an ok trigger.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Some have the grit on the take up and some don't. There are some posts about what causes it but I can't remember. It can be smoothed out though.

·
Registered
71 Posts
My VP9 had a very gritty, mushy trigger. After a couple thousand rounds it was still exactly the same. Sold the pistol, somewhat regretted it and ended up buying a VP9SK. Could not believe the difference, VP9SK has a smooth take up and crisp break, so much better than my first VP9. From talking to others about it, sort of sounds like VP9 triggers are somewhat inconsistent and can be hit or miss.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Hey as gtoney! Welcome to the group!
I'm sorry to hear that you've got that grit in your trigger. But yeah, there's a few of them that don't measure up to their spectacular brothers.
There's some videos on YouTube about it. But generally speaking, a bit of polishing to the trigger bar, and rounding off the tips of the trigger spring will give you major improvements. The latter can sometimes be pretty rough. And that's where some of that grit comes from.
I dunno how I'd compare it to a canik tho. Those are generally speaking, comparable (closely) to a PPQ trigger, by some folks.
I liked both of mine better than the Walther triggers. A lot less travel, a more noticeable and firm wall. Tho the Walter's reset is really tough to beat!

·
Registered
386 Posts
I had this issue with mine but I got a can of blaster spray cleaner type stuff. That cleared it out and have been using it ever since.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I had this issue as well. I knew about some triggers being a little gritty, but just for kicks I contacted HK Customer Service, and they sent me an RMA. I said what the heck and sent it over. Gun came back in 3 days with a note saying they polished all the trigger mechanism interfaces. It really was improved! HKCS was fantastic!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Didn't find mine gritty. Just gotta put more round through it and before it put the f3 trigger in. Come from the hi point to an hk is a big difference.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I had this issue as well. I knew about some triggers being a little gritty, but just for kicks I contacted HK Customer Service, and they sent me an RMA. I said what the heck and sent it over. Gun came back in 3 days with a note saying they polished all the trigger mechanism interfaces. It really was improved! HKCS was fantastic!
I sent mine in as well, and unfortunately they just sent it back with a note "this is normal". :(

It's really not that bad, I just was looking for perfection I guess. It's still my favorite trigger of any of the guns I own. There's a couple of things that can do it, but the most common seems to be the trigger bar engaging the firing pin block safety and moving it out of the way. This is where my "false wall" comes from. Polishing the engaging surfaces should help some, and I'd imagine that taking the safety pin out and cleaning/lubing underneath it would also help, but too much effort for me.

My VP9T trigger is smoother. Can still feel a little 'hump' where the safety engages, but it's less of a 'false wall'.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The trigger of my HK SFP9 (= European variant of the VP9) is not gritty.
Also my one European SFP9, and when I could try in my hand in direct comparison with Beretta Apx, Cz P10C, Walther Ppq, only that last one was probably better o so close to the HK for the trigger.
(please not the absolute missing of any Glock)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts