HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi. My VP9 is my first HK and my first striker-fired pistol. The trigger reset seems excessively long compared to my DA/SA or SAO pistols. Not at all what I expected based on the reviews that compared the VP9 favorably with the Walther PPQ and Sig 320. When I first started shooting the gun, I found myself pulling the trigger on followup shots before the trigger had reset, and thinking this was a misfire, I would rack the slide to chamber a new round. I finally got used to letting the trigger all the way forward until it reset. Is the long trigger reset normal, or did I just get a lemon? Is there a fix? (GrayGuns doesn't do a trigger reset package on the VP9.) If your advise is to call customer service, I hope it doesn't matter that I bought the gun new from a private party. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,086 Posts
Welcome and congrats on a great gun. We're you able to handle the gun before you got it? Can you post a video of the reset? I don't find it long at all.

·
Super Moderator
6,047 Posts
You would be the first person I've ever heard say those words for sure OP. If you're used to other tuned triggers, then maybe. But out of the box, love for HK's aside, that trigger is pretty clean for a striker. Which in general are not as clean as a DA/SA or SAO. Because you're pulling through more of the break if that makes any sense. Because of how the mechanism is. You'll notice that on any striker if you're coming from something else.

That said, here's my recommendation. Take the VP9 to the range for a few sessions all by itself, and run about 250 rounds through it per session. Make sure you ride out the reset vs attempt to perceive the reset.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Let me say that aside from my impression of the trigger, I love the VP9. It feels great in my hand, it's light and accurate. I put some TruGlo TFX's on it for day/night shooting. I'm in Cali, so I was lucky to get one at all since it's "off roster" here. They sell for $1,100 to $1,200 on the secondary market here.

JonFrost, yes I handled it briefly when I bought it, but was more focused on cosmetics and ergonomics. I racked the slide and dry-fired it, but didn't really notice the trigger reset then.

Navyman, I also have a Springfield TRP Operator 1911, a Sig 229 DA/SA, a Sig 226 Legion SAO, and various 3rd gen Smiths. So yes, I could be expecting too much from the VP9 trigger compared to the others. I'll get some more range time with it and we'll see. I'll also rent some other strikers at the range -- Glocks and whatever else they have -- for comparison.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
If you get a video we should be able to tell you if it's normal or not. If you do end up having to send it to HKCS you'll be fine. I asked if I needed to give them warranty docs when I sent mine in and they said no, if it's theirs they stand by it. Within reason at least, obvious abuse they probably wouldn't cover.

·
Registered
453 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
They sell for $1,100 to $1,200 on the secondary market here.
You gotta be kidding me..... I will never live in Cali.

I don't find my VP9's trigger to have a very long reset at all, but that may just be my perception. It's only my second striker gun, the first being a SA XDs. The VP9's trigger makes the XDs's trigger feel like crap.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm sitting here reading this thread with my VP9, P320 and Glock 19 on the desk. Snapping, racking the slide and checking the reset on all three repeatedly. My VP9 is at least as good as the P320 and very close to the G19. I also checked in the reset on my Beretta 92 Elite II against the VP9. Nope, nothing magical there as they are about the same distance to reset with the VP maybe a smidge shorter. My Beretta 92s are the only DA/SA guns I have left as I sold my Sigs and Smiths years ago so they are the only DA/SA I have left to compare with the VP9.

I didn't bother to check my PPQs as they simply have the best trigger and reset of any striker handgun I have ever owned or shot. Still, shooting my VP9 and PPQs one after the other there is not much practical difference in the reset and only a slight difference in the trigger pull.

The reset on my VP9 is neither long or a distraction. Maybe the OP got one that needs to go back to HK. Or else try it side by side with other striker fired handguns. My VP9 and PPQs are my two favorite models of the three dozen or more strikers I currently own or have owned in the past.

OP, good luck with your VP.

·
Registered
467 Posts
It is not as good as a Glock reset, but I shoot my VP9 better than a Glock. You want a bad factory trigger reset, try any of the P-series DA/SA, horrible. And don't get me started on the LEM five-mile reset. The USP and P7 series have nice triggers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts