HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a VP9 #5 plate from HK parts that didn’t come with screws to mount the dot to the plate. Anyone know the correct screw size and threads? Need a button head for the Vortex Venom, but not sure what size. Bonus if you have a place to source them. I was hoping to mount this while off next week and get it zeroed in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
None of these plates - whether the HKParts knockoffs, or the genuine H&K plates, come with optics mounting screws. Normally those are provided by the optics manufacturer. I would suggest checking the Vortex website to see if they specify the screw pitch and length, and then source what you need from McMaster-Carr. Be sure to order class 12.9 strength screws.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
None of these plates - whether the HKParts knockoffs, or the genuine H&K plates, come with optics mounting screws. Normally those are provided by the optics manufacturer. I would suggest checking the Vortex website to see if they specify the screw pitch and length, and then source what you need from McMaster-Carr. Be sure to order class 12.9 strength screws.
My EGW plate came with screws, the HK Parts #2 shows coming with screws, but the HK #5 isn’t pictured with screws and didn’t come with them. Vortex provided screws that work with Glock MOS, not the HK (aftermarket) plate.

·
Registered
"The Fraternal Twins"
331 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks I tried the Home Depot ones they seem a bit loose. I have an EGW set and they are more like 5/16 than 3/8. Going to call EGW Monday.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I got a VP9 #5 plate from HK parts that didn’t come with screws to mount the dot to the plate. Anyone know the correct screw size and threads? Need a button head for the Vortex Venom, but not sure what size. Bonus if you have a place to source them. I was hoping to mount this while off next week and get it zeroed in.

Do you happen to remember the torx size to take the plate off of the VP9? I’m gonna order a torque screwdriver and just trying to see in I need to order any extra bits than what comes with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
USP45 USP45C P30L P30SK VP9LOR
113 Posts
Do you happen to remember the torx size to take the plate off of the VP9? I’m gonna order a torque screwdriver and just trying to see in I need to order any extra bits than what comes with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
T-10 Torx

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I can confirm the screws for the HK Parts and EGW #5 plates are 6-32 x 5/16" for the Vortex Venom. The common sizes at Home Depot, Menards, Etc. are 1/4 and 3/8. The 1/4 doesn't get enough threads in and the 3/8 is to long to mount the RDS.

You can find black alloy and silver stainless at several places, but I wanted black stainless. I ended up buying the screws from McMaster Carr for $13 delivered for $100. They are not too far from me, so 1-day shipping.

McMaster Carr part number is 97763A403: 18-8 Stainless Steel Button Head Hex Drive Screws, Black-Oxide, 6-32 Thread Size, 5/16" Long.

Posting my findings so the next person doesn't go through the same BS as me. EGW lists these as 3/8", Vortex didn't know and HK Parts Customer Service said they don't know what thread pitch their own damn plates are, I was told they are waiting for the engineers to tell them???

If anyone in the US wants 10 for $2 DM me, happy to recoup a few bucks and helps some others out along the way.

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
Stainless screws are half the strength of class 12.9 alloy screws, and are easier to strip heads on. There’s a reason stainless screws aren’t used on critical applications.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Archer. Ended up getting alloy screws from Grainger. FABORY Button, Socket Head Cap Screw, #6-32, Steel, Alloy Steel, Black Oxide, 5/16 in Length, PK 100. Link is here.

Finally got the optic attached and sighted in last night!

Offer stands if anyone needs #5 alloy plate screws for a Vortex optic - 10 for $2 DM me, happy to recoup a few bucks and helps some others out along the way.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts