HKPRO Forums banner

VP9 scratchy trigger

6K views 25 replies 16 participants last post by  leibstandarte10 
#1 ·
Hi

I think I have a faulty trigger on my VP9, when I pull it I feel like using a file on some metal, the trigger bar is straching something hardly during its movement

the problem disappear if I press down the bar

wondering if is normal the up and down movement of the bar when I pull the trigger...

I shot about a 1000 rounds and the problem didn't change in any way

this is the video of the problem: https://youtu.be/TsZGwiTUD8A

#2 ·
I have the opposite where the trigger is scratchy/gritty on the reset when the bar is pushed down, but smooth otherwise. I'm reasonably happy with my VP9 but it does seem like there's some cost cutting measures and a general lower quality and QC issues than some of their older "no compromise" guns.

#12 ·
My VP40 trigger is excellent, out-of-the-box. The break seems "softer" than the break on my Glocks, although actual pull/break weights are probably about the same (depending, obviously, on the comparative connector/spring set-up chosen for a given Glock) I did put a drop of Weapon Shield on it where it interfaces/rubs against the receiver. Although different in feel, the pull/break on the VP40 seems as nice as the on on my P30L V1 LEM.

Glock reset point is quicker than on either the VP or P30.

Best, Jon

#18 ·
The up and down motion is normal. The scratching is also to some degree normal. Some seem to have it, some don't. People's individual sensitivity to such things likely plays a part in the varying reports. Two places it can come from, where the little trigger bar catch looking thing rubs against a hump in the disconnector and the firing pin block safety. The disconnector hump can be smoothed out and largely improved. See this thread: http://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-handgun-talk/219658-improved-my-vp9-trigger-pull-dramatically.html
The firing pin block resistance is going to be there no matter what. (Unless you remove the safety I guess. Please don't do that.) The grittiness might be improvable by polishing the surfaces that rub together, but I decided it wasn't worth taking the safety lever out to do it. It will naturally smooth out a little over time. Mine has gotten gradually better. It's at 2000 rounds right now, and I spent some time trying to wear it in probably to the tune of 5-10k more dry cycles on top of that. It sounds like an ordeal to send it back in to HK for you, so I would 1) decide if it's really a problem for you and 2) try these fixes first before sending it in. I sent mine, and they sent it back saying that amount of "snag" was normal.

#23 ·
Couple things feed into that IMO. No product is EVER 100% consistent. Some trigger bars are going to end up slightly rougher than others. Some disconnectors might have slight burrs or other artifacts from the manufacturing process that lead to the 'hump'. People's sensitivity to the feel of the trigger and/or their frame of reference will be different. Two different people could pull the same trigger on the same gun, and one call it gritty and the other call it buttery smooth. Past experiences and expectations going in will shape perception. Someone who is accustomed to Hi-points and someone else to hand-fitted custom competition guns are going to have differing opinions of the VP9 trigger.

At the range when I was first renting all kinds of different guns looking to pick one out, the VP9 stood out as an exceptionally smooth and crisp trigger amongst the glocks, M&Ps, XDs etc. that I shot at the same time. A month later when I had my own and that was ALL I was shooting (and during slow dry firing), I noticed the 'hump' and a little bit of grit that I questioned a little. I didn't know if I should expect better or not, so I came here and asked. Ended up going back to the range and checking out their rental again, and to my surprise it had the same snag that I just hadn't noticed before. Now at 2000 rounds, I don't notice on my own either unless I go looking for it.

#25 ·
I agree but I tried a P30 of a friend and was so much better, like a bicycle vs a ferrari, did like 6/6 bullseyes, with my VP9 is so hard to hit near the centre

I must say I really dont like the way the trigger bar have to scrape against the disconnector all the way back, even if it will not scratch

going back I wouldn't have bought it...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.