HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been experiencing issues with the slide not locking back on my VP9 when the mag runs empty. The only possible reason I thought of is my thumb is pushing he slide catch up but it does not happen every time. I also had someone with me and they didn't think that was the issue. Other than operator error (which could be the answer) does anyone know of an issue with the gun/mag/ammo that might cause this problem. I shoot Federal 115 grain FMJs through it.

Thanks in advance for the replies.

·
Registered
7,859 Posts
There aren't any issues really with the slide not locking back usually . Unless you're shooting purple box Federal's you should be cycling the slide no problem with the proper grip pressure. Work on your thumb and see if that works out . Unusual handle you got there ...... what/who did you have for dinner ? :biggrin:

·
Registered
27 Posts
If you're accidentally pushing the catch up with your thumb, wouldn't that make the slide lock back when it's NOT supposed to?

If it's not locking back on an empty mag, have you tried a different mag?

If it always happens on the same mag, then it's something to do with your follower hanging up.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies.

I meant slide release DOWN,not Up - so it would prevent it from locking back.

They are the purple box Federals. I've never had an issue with them in my P2000 or SIG P226.

As for the handle - used to sing in a band - Cannibal Cat.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Shoot it one handed. If it locks back, it's your thumb. You won't be alone in having that issue when first shooting the VP9.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks for the replies.

I meant slide release DOWN,not Up - so it would prevent it from locking back.

They are the purple box Federals.
Gotcha. Yeah, one-handed is a good test. Does it do this with all mags?

Sorry, I've never seen Federal in a purple box. Got a pic?

Though, moot point, I highly doubt it's the ammo if it's not malfunctioning with that ammo in other ways.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the same problem with my new VP9 tactical. Had a lot of FTE issues with Freedom Munitions 115g and fewer issues with AE 115g as well. Neither would lock the slide. No problems with hotter defense loads, so assuming it's a stiff recoil spring and short cycling. Ordered a stainless guide rod and 17lb spring, will see if that fixes it. Or maybe just need some break in.

Don't trust it enough yet to replace the Weather PPQ as my edc, as was the plan when I bought the VP9.

The PPQ never locks the slide because of my high thumb position riding the slide lock and the large release lever. One of the reasons I'm trying the VP9 was the low profile slide release on the left side.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
139 Posts
How many rounds do you have through it? I broke in our new VP9 this past weekend and it didn't slide lock a few times as well with an empty mag. I assumed the gun needs a bit of breaking in as I had similar issues with my P30L and P2000 back in the day when they were new as well. Once they broke in, I never had a problem with them ever again.

Maybe try running some 124 grain rounds through it and see if it cycles a bit better.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just purchased a HK 45 Tactical that did the same thing on my first time out with it. I heard the same thing about the slide release and really didn't think I was hitting it, but couldn't be 100%. I was using range ammo that turns out of remanufactured and it happened all the time on the last round only. Next time out purchased stronger/better ammo and it ran like a charm. Never happened with the Federal I was using. But, it was a higher grain and not remanufactured. For me, it seems it was the ammo but I'm still watching it.

·
Registered
401 Posts
My guess is you are riding the slide lock. Or weak ammo.

I wish we could sticky this. HK and other euro guns are built to eat hotter 9mm then lightweights US loads. Most cheap ammo is loaded light to save $. The VP9 is also running a 40 cal recoil spring if you have a newer one. This being the case put a few boxes of NATO loaded 124gr though it to break in the recoil spring.

HKs aren't built to eat crap ammo like many other guns LE and MIL don't use junk ammo so why build your gun to accommodate it? This is common in many European pistol brands.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Recoil momentum is what determines how fast the slide moves rearward and thus how effective ejection is and probably how reliable slide lock will be (assuming non-interference with the slide release lever). From the physics, the recoil momentum is essentially the bullet momentum at muzzle exit (the product of bullet mass and bullet velocity - it is proportional to what is called the Power Factor (PF)). In general, you want a high PF for more reliable ejection, etc. As far as Winchester NATO ammo, from a previous post of mine:

http://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-rooki...k-period-nato-round-question.html#post1619366 post #8
I have my doubts about the Winchester NATO rounds. According to the following, its muzzle momentum (mass*velocity of the bullet) is actually less than the the 124 gr Federal AE round (which is not advertised as "NATO").

From what I can gather, European/European NATO ammo may very well be hotter - so it pays to check the ballistic specs if possible.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/29...unition-9mm-luger-124-grain-full-metal-jacket See "Specifications".
9mm Ballistics Chart | Ballistics 101

Here is an example of "hot" 115 gr ammo that has a very high PF:
Bulk Sellier & Bellot 9mm Ammo for Sale - 115 gr FMJ (1000 Rounds)

·
Registered
131 Posts
I used some Sellier & Bellot 115 gr ammo during break in and it definitely locked the slide back. It is good stuff. I had no issues what so ever. However even Blazer Brass locked my slide back.

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
I have 2 VP9's. The second one had this same issue, although the first one never did. After ruling out all potential operator errors, I locked slide back on the empty pistol and put it in the safe like that for about 48 hrs. to expedite "break in" of the recoil spring. No further issues since.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Im having the same issue, only have maybe 500 rounds through it yet though. No other issues though and slide lock fails like 2 our of 5 empty mags. This weekend i specifically went to the range to test it out and fired one handed both left and right with the same results. I already milled out a slot for my Viper red dot on it but hoping that extra weight is not it. Going to run a few 100 more through it before i talk to a weapon smith

1 - 20 of 25 Posts