HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search on this forum to see if many other people have the same problem as I do, however, I really didn't find anything.

A little background: (new to this forum "obviously"), I shoot USPSA with my VP9. I am right handed. I have fairly large hands. I use the large back strap and side pieces. I have this same problem with many different handguns.

The problem: In the simplest terms, my slide doesn't lock back. I understand this is essentially a problem with my grip (as my thumb is just holding it down), though I believe Recoil Magazine, as well as Larry Vickers complained about the same problem in their reviews. Originally, I was stubborn and I just rationalized that it was just a problem with my grip, and as a result I was paying the price. This can become a problem, though, in a match when I run dry and I have to rack the slide to the rear (sometimes after I have attempted to fire, as I have lost my count). This is wasting precious time, especially so in long stages.

My solution: I am at the point of just filing/cutting the left side slide release off. I was just curious if people have also had this same problem with their VP9 and how they remedied it? Are there any aftermarket slide release levers yet that are shaped different to fix this problem? Any advice would help as I am not trying to destroy my weapon. Thank you

·
Premium Member
3,086 Posts
I shoot uspsa with my vp9 and many other hks. The only gun I have that problem with is my vp9. However, I just try to pay a little more attention to my number of shots fired.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Shoot it like a Sig and roll your strong hand thumb over to the left a bit. Doesn't effect you grip at all and keeps you off the slide stop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
150 Posts
The slide release is too small for my liking, I'm use to large levers like the usp which can be used quickly even with gloves

·
Registered
256 Posts
The slide stop was ultimately the reason I stopped shooting my VP9 in competition. I'm not sure why HK decided to take the "Sig" route with their slide stops. They were perfectly positioned on the USP series guns IMO.

Also, beware of filing down your slide stop, or replacing it with an aftermarket part. This is an external modification, so the gun would no longer be legal for USPSA production division.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I shoot a lot of 1911's so I have the same problem. I had to adjust my grip. Strong hand thumb under the slide release in the recessed part of the grip. I angle my support hand down slightly with my thumb on the lower trigger guard. I never use the slide release. I wish it didn't have one at all.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Glad to hear that I am having the same issues as others with the VP9. I have had mine for 5 weeks and every range session, the slide has only locked open once. I have verified that it does work properly with an empty magazine. I don't have this issue whens shooting my wife's P30SK, so I will have to work on my grip.

·
Registered
186 Posts
why don't ya cut your thumb off instead. this is one of the few topics brought up on here that grips me a little. if your thumbs are touching the slide or the slide release you are using bad technique its a bad habit not an issue with the gun. like it was said above put your strong hand thumb on top of the second knuckle of your weak hand thumb and you will never have this issue with any gun that has ever been made that has similar controls. you learned how to shot the wrong way easy enough learning to hold the gun the right way will be just as easy. And Merry Christmas.

·
Registered
256 Posts
why don't ya cut your thumb off instead. this is one of the few topics brought up on here that grips me a little. if your thumbs are touching the slide or the slide release you are using bad technique its a bad habit not an issue with the gun. like it was said above put your strong hand thumb on top of the second knuckle of your weak hand thumb and you will never have this issue with any gun that has ever been made that has similar controls. you learned how to shot the wrong way easy enough learning to hold the gun the right way will be just as easy. And Merry Christmas.
LOL, some of the greatest pistol shooters in the world, shoot that way, thumbs forward. Sig has gone so far as come out with a new slide release for the P320.

Many 1911 shooters learn to shoot with their thumb riding the thumb safety. I happen to shoot my USP like that as well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Also, beware of filing down your slide stop, or replacing it with an aftermarket part. This is an external modification, so the gun would no longer be legal for USPSA production division.
That's a good point. I am pretty close to putting a big magwell on the gun, filing the slide release and just shooting limited.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That is just ridiculous to think that resting my thumbs on the side of the frame is improper shooting form. It would just be foolish to have your thumbs just floating in mid air when there is a perfectly good frame to apply a nominal amount of pressure to... Aside from shooting revolvers it IS proper form to rest the thumbs on the frame, just look at Jerry Miculek. Merry Christmas!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Same problem here!
VP9 is all around gun, IDPA and CC and if I remember I move away my right thumb, sometimes I count my shots (IDPA) but most of the time slide stop is hold by my thumb so slide does not lock back.
I do a mag change, but like you said those are precious seconds...

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Glad I didn't have any habits to break when I got my HKs and lone Walther PPQ M1. My thumbs are forward but never have hit slide release, unintentionally.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Glad I didn't have any habits to break when I got my HKs and lone Walther PPQ M1. My thumbs are forward but never have hit slide release, unintentionally.
Now, my buddy that I shoot with doesn't have any problems with this either. He is left handed, so its pretty obvious why, but I also have quite large hands.

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
Until recently I've been a tucked thumbs shooter. I have a family member who is a Three Gun Nation contestant who trained me thumbs forward last summer. It did improve my consistency and speed. However, slide release/lock interference became and issue. I remedied the problem by resting my rearward thumb forward facing but on the front thumb just behind the knuckle. I have big thumb muscles/meat so it is natural feeling to rest it there. Now the slide locks and I have control. Works for me. YMMV

·
Registered
200 Posts
I shoot thumbs forward. While I prefer the slide release on my P30L, I've encountered zero problem/issues wit the smaller, lower profile one on my VP40. Both HKs are used for carry and IDPA.

I will admit to initially being a bit concerned about the low profile VP slide release (all of my Glocks have the Glock Extended Slide Release), the OEM VP component has worked well in actual use.

Best, Jon

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
LOL, some of the greatest pistol shooters in the world, shoot that way, thumbs forward. Sig has gone so far as come out with a new slide release for the P320.

Many 1911 shooters learn to shoot with their thumb riding the thumb safety. I happen to shoot my USP like that as well.
SIG has done that twice now on the P320. I have fat thumbs and have the problem too with my VP9 and a few other pistols.

·
Banned
354 Posts
"I have this same problem with many different handguns."

It's you, not the gun. You need to work on changing your grip and get away from the "both thumbs forward" hold. That's the culprit. As usual, it's the Indian not the arrow. It is a very hard habit to break, and I'm still working on it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts