HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening! I have been shooting for a bit and have been a loyal HK fan (45, 45C, Mark23). Picked up a VP9, shoots great, love the firearm. However I have one small issue and seeking input. On only this gun I am getting a really sore (and was bruised) base knuckle on my right thumb. Included some lame pictures for reference. I don't have this issue with any other firearm in my collection of 16. Anyone else notice this? Also I have the small back and sides on the grip. Suggestions? Advice? Is there an aftermarket option for this grip that makes the back of the gun more comfortable? Thank you!!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I did not notice that you had experimented with the panels and back strap. That's what I suggest. Some folks have various combinations of side panels. Let us know what you end up with on your gun.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Where you draw the circles makes me wonder if you are placing your thumb's knuckle at the top of the grip instead of the web between your knuckle and index finger. The way you indicate, the recoil will drive the gun down onto your knuckle at the base of your thumb.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've had the same problem. After reading all of the glowing reviews praising the VP9, I've never been able to figure out why the Glock 19 is basically much more ergonomic for me, but I'm probably going to switch. I have small hands, and changing out the panels to the small set didn't fix this at all for me.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
.............On only this gun I am getting a really sore (and was bruised) base knuckle on my right thumb. Included some lame pictures for reference. I don't have this issue with any other firearm in my collection of 16. Anyone else notice this? Also I have the small back and sides on the grip. Suggestions? Advice? Is there an aftermarket option for this grip that makes the back of the gun more comfortable? Thank you!!!

I am thinking this is due to the somewhat squared of back of the pistol. I personally don't have this issue but I think I'm probably closer to you as I run small-small-small on all my panels as well.

My suggestion to you is to take a file to the back of the grip and round off the back some more. Aside from that I'm not sure what else would have a lasting effect other than shifting your hand position further to the left to get the spine of the grip more centered in your hand.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I don't have my VP9 yet but i've had these issues on other polymer framed guns. I did as one of the other posters said and use a file to smooth out and friction points or to reshape an edge. Of course trying to sell the gun after hacking it up isn't easy.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Its your grip imo. Either you can wear gloves or change your grip. I am thinking your grip is high causing the rub try lowering it a bit.

·
Registered
49 Posts
It's your body type. I personally don't have a problem with VP9, 45, 45c, P30. The P30 with the safety lever rides that bone the wrong way. Same for double stack Sigs. Shooting glove, change guns, or suck it up.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I have found the VP9 to be very comfortable from an ergonomic standpoint. Experiment with different combinations of the side and back panels and also experiment with adjusting your grip. The VP9 is an extraordinary pistol and I would politely suggest to you that you owe it to yourself to experiment and adjust and try to make it work for you. It is worth it in my humble opinion. Good luck....

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have small hands. Initially just not really feeling it (while handling, not having yet fired it) with the stock Med. panels I decided to experiment. Expecting I'd want the smallest ones I instead used the three largest ones and, surprisingly, they felt good. I never changed them again.

Now just shy of 1000 rounds, all mixed FMJ/HP, 115/124 Gr. with not a single error. Next up: evaluating different 147 Gr HPs.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have a similar problem at the exact same spot where skin will rub raw and eventually bleed. I just tape up before a practice session.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I am thinking this is due to the somewhat squared of back of the pistol. I personally don't have this issue but I think I'm probably closer to you as I run small-small-small on all my panels as well.

My suggestion to you is to take a file to the back of the grip and round off the back some more. Aside from that I'm not sure what else would have a lasting effect other than shifting your hand position further to the left to get the spine of the grip more centered in your hand.
The one thing I think might work is combining the medium or even large side panels with the small backstrap. When I rotate my grip far enough to stop my knuckle from getting crushed against the square back of the grip below the slide, my palm comes off the side of the grip and there's a lot of space there. Counterintuitively, filling that space in with the larger side panels (despite having smaller hands) might help.

·
Registered
352 Posts
There is no need to experiment with the 147gr jhp rounds. My personal opinion is that HK's run the best with 124gr. NATO pressure rounds. 115's a close second. I have no documentation backing this up.....just alot of trigger time with the 124gr. JHP....Good luck!...

I have small hands. Initially just not really feeling it (while handling, not having yet fired it) with the stock Med. panels I decided to experiment. Expecting I'd want the smallest ones I instead used the three largest ones and, surprisingly, they felt good. I never changed them again.

Now just shy of 1000 rounds, all mixed FMJ/HP, 115/124 Gr. with not a single error. Next up: evaluating different 147 Gr HPs.

·
Registered
23 Posts
There is no need to experiment with the 147gr jhp rounds. My personal opinion is that HK's run the best with 124gr. NATO pressure rounds. 115's a close second. I have no documentation backing this up.....just alot of trigger time with the 124gr. JHP....Good luck!...

Not gonna deny that those two weights work well in my VP9 but, I just received 500 rounds of various 147 gr. and I'll soon be checking them out for reliability.
If they (as a group) do well then I'll continue with a face off against my previous choice 124 Gr. (preferred weight in my semi-retired short barrel Kahr PM9).

My bias: I'm hoping that the longer barrel and HK quality will allow for it as contrary to common belief, my brain thinks go heavy(er) /and slow(er) - providing they work.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
The one thing I think might work is combining the medium or even large side panels with the small backstrap. When I rotate my grip far enough to stop my knuckle from getting crushed against the square back of the grip below the slide, my palm comes off the side of the grip and there's a lot of space there. Counterintuitively, filling that space in with the larger side panels (despite having smaller hands) might help.

Not for me. I've taken the file to my grip. It's about as small as you can possibly go for a VP9 at this point.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had the same thing on both my P30 and my M&P using the small backstrap. Switched to medium backstrap and the pain went away

1 - 20 of 26 Posts