HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

LGS has a NIB VP9 Tactical OR with suppressor height sights and 2 17 RD Mags in stock for $850.

I’ve never been much of a striker fan, but this really has me tempted as a possibility of replacing my P30 for Competition purposes. I would keep the P30 for HD.

Few questions I have:
1. Is this a good price for a OR Tactical?
2. Would it be worth getting primarily for competition use or would the VP9L OR be better suited for that role?
3. For those with both, how does the grip compare to the P30? The main difference I could visually see is the more pronounced hump on the backstrap. Does this affect the way it shoots or is it comparable to P30?

Thinking I might just pull the trigger and get this.

Thanks for any input!

-Brasky

·
Registered
159 Posts
Actually below msrp so that’s a great price! These are currently at 1k and above.

I can’t speak for competition because I don’t compete but a lot of guys here would prefer the Vp9L for competition use from all the discussions I’ve read.

As far as grip, I personally like the feel of the P30 series better because to me it feels more textured. The vp9 feels a bit more slippery to me. The hump is pretty much the same on both but thats just my 2 cents.

Either way you’d be getting a great striker fired pistol for a great price so I say go for it!

·
Registered
578 Posts
1. Is this a good price for a OR Tactical?
Crazy good price - considering the current inflated market conditions.
2. Would it be worth getting primarily for competition use or would the VP9L OR be better suited for that role?
The long version is probably (very slightly) better for competition, if that's your only intended purpose for it.
3. For those with both, how does the grip compare to the P30? The main difference I could visually see is the more pronounced hump on the backstrap. Does this affect the way it shoots or is it comparable to P30?
The grip is not as aggressive as the P30. (Check out Jerkman Customs if you want stippling on VP9 grip panels - I've been impressed by what I've seen, but not done it myself). The trigger reach is longer on the VP9 that the P30. Very closely related guns - I recommend owning or at least trying out both.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got it from Jays Sporting Goods in Gaylord, MI.

Not a huge fan of it to be completely honest.

I love the way it feels but don’t love the way it shoots. Accuracy and split times just have not been there for me compared to the P30 it was meant to replace for competition use.

I plan to keep at it a while longer but will probably end up selling it off eventually unless I finally get the hang of it.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I wouldn’t expect your split times to be much if any faster. You can’t have had it long and probably nowhere near the rounds you have compared to what you intended to replace. Either way slightly used vs more slightly used won’t be much difference if you sell it. Coming from da/sa or LEM to striker is a learning curve for most people as reflected on a shot timer. I think put considerably more rounds thru it and see what you think. P30 and VP9 are both excellent. Both will give back what you put in. Also some people seem to like the texture of the P30 to the VP9. I can’t tell a difference shooting them. Also the VP was designed to get the hand higher which you can’t really do with the lock work of the p30. Does it matter? I would say it’s minuscule but probably every bit as much as the minuscule difference in texture. Plus if it’s a game gun isn’t the skateboard tape stuff coming out anyhow?
They are both great. Both work. Also, I would give the edge to the long slide for games with irons, with optics maybe not so much. Only question(s) I see is do you want (or need) a hammer/external safety/differently weighted trigger pull (if not LEM) or not? You aren’t wrong either way.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No real want/need for external hammer on my competition gun. You are correct though that I need far more rounds down range with it before giving up. Have only owned it for around 6 months and my round count is less than 2k.

I cut my teeth on a V4 USPc…it was my first and only handgun for many years, used for everything CCW, HD and competition. I got the P30 4 or 5 years ago primarily for competition after trying my buddies for a Round of PPC at a local club and realized (as a lefty) the benefit an ambi slide lock has on my quick reloads vs my slingshot method.

From there I picked up a V2 P2000sk for my EDC, very slight learning curve but I was able to gain proficiency rather quickly.

Figured a striker was next in my natural progression as I rather like the consistency of a single trigger pull (for competition) and all my research pointed me to the VP9.

Again love the look, feel, build quality etc. The results are just taking much longer than I was hoping/expecting.

If I end up selling I might go for the P30L in light LEM.

·
Registered
242 Posts
No real want/need for external hammer on my competition gun. You are correct though that I need far more rounds down range with it before giving up. Have only owned it for around 6 months and my round count is less than 2k.

I cut my teeth on a V4 USPc…it was my first and only handgun for many years, used for everything CCW, HD and competition. I got the P30 4 or 5 years ago primarily for competition after trying my buddies for a Round of PPC at a local club and realized (as a lefty) the benefit an ambi slide lock has on my quick reloads vs my slingshot method.

From there I picked up a V2 P2000sk for my EDC, very slight learning curve but I was able to gain proficiency rather quickly.

Figured a striker was next in my natural progression as I rather like the consistency of a single trigger pull (for competition) and all my research pointed me to the VP9.

Again love the look, feel, build quality etc. The results are just taking much longer than I was hoping/expecting.

If I end up selling I might go for the P30L in light LEM.
P30L is excellent. I agree with you on the slide stop/release whatever. Taran Butler talks about that being superior to slingshot for speed. I think he is right. Some think slingshot is superior for a reliability edge, I wouldn’t argue with them either. Plenty of high speed low drag serious types on both sides of that discussion but I do think that in competition at least the slide release seems to be king. People also come down on the p30/vp9 slide release as looking like a kind of flimsy afterthought. I disagree. In function they run just fine. Then again compared to a USP’s slide release an engine block looks kind of flimsy. ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts