HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has been noted several times on this forum, the VP9 Tactical has a much stronger recoil spring setup ( may in fact be the setup for the VP40) than the regular VP.
I confirmed this at my LGS today by checking the amount of effort needed to rack the slide on a Tactical. Does this stronger spring cause reliability problems when not using a
can? Should I have a regular recoil spring assembly to insert when not running a can? I love the VP9 Tactical and want to set it up properly. Any advice will be appreciated.

Semper Fi

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
Does this stronger spring cause reliability problems when not using a
can? NO

Should I have a regular recoil spring assembly to insert when not running a can? NO , I have a new VP40 RSA in my VP9 and it works perfectly W/O a can .
You can shoot your new Tactical whichever way you choose !

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've put 500 rounds through my VP9TLE and so far no FTFs from the "stiffer spring". I have not run a can on it yet.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
I have never known HK to release any tactical that didn't work flawlessly with or without a can.
Did you have a fever when you asked?

·
The Librarian
MP5-N and HK23E-K
5,582 Posts
It has been noted several times on this forum, the VP9 Tactical has a much stronger recoil spring setup ( may in fact be the setup for the VP40) than the regular VP.
I'm wondering where people are getting this from? HK's website states "The VP’s proprietary captive flat recoil spring helps reduce the recoil forces effecting the operator and the handgun, improving shooter control during rapid firing and prolonging component service life." It says that for all the VP9 variants. What I do know is the recoil rod assembly provided on the VP9 is painted orange for the 9mm. The .40 is silver. I'm not sure a simple racking is enough to tell the difference. Why not disassemble the slide from the frame? Heck, even the manual might offer something. I have the VP9 recoil rod assembly as 226311. The VP40 is part number 260506. Let me know what you find out.

ALSO... If anyone else knows, please chime in.

·
The Librarian
MP5-N and HK23E-K
5,582 Posts
I've put 500 rounds through my VP9TLE and so far no FTFs from the "stiffer spring". I have not run a can on it yet.
Hey Brian, what part number does your VP9T manual show for the VP9 recoil rod assembly? Is it 226311 or 260506?

-M

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
HK is supplying the same RSA for the VP9 , the VP9 Tactical and the VP40. I've been put about about 500 rounds or so with the VP40 RSA with no issues at ALL with all types of loads. The difference in the springs in operation was so small it made sense to just go with one spring .

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
HK is supplying the same RSA for the VP9 , the VP9 Tactical and the VP40. I've been put about about 500 rounds or so with the VP40 RSA with no issues at ALL with all types of loads. The difference in the springs in operation was so small it made sense to just go with one spring .
Yep, they all use part number 260506 now.

·
The Librarian
MP5-N and HK23E-K
5,582 Posts
Yep, they all use part number 260506 now.
Thanks! The VP9T does use the same recoil spring as the VP40, which is not the same as the regular VP9. What interesting is that most guys have been shooting suppressed without a heavier spring for quite some time now, but no issues reported.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'm curious as to people's experiences running a can either a normal VP9 ( with a threaded barrel swapped in on course) and/or vs the VP9T? I purchased a SiCo threaded barrel last year in anticipation of getting a VP9 sometime there soon after. Then I heard even some rumblings that the VP9s were some what finicky firing suppressed ( I think these were the regular VP9s they were talking about before the VP9Ts were even out...) Hence I've waited to buy one and now i wonder if i should just get a VP9T , or normal VP9 then have both barrels if the recoil springs are now all the same. Any build date codes I should look for to have the newer RSA?

·
Registered
847 Posts
I'm curious as to people's experiences running a can either a normal VP9 ( with a threaded barrel swapped in on course) and/or vs the VP9T? I purchased a SiCo threaded barrel last year in anticipation of getting a VP9 sometime there soon after. Then I heard even some rumblings that the VP9s were some what finicky firing suppressed ( I think these were the regular VP9s they were talking about before the VP9Ts were even out...) Hence I've waited to buy one and now i wonder if i should just get a VP9T , or normal VP9 then have both barrels if the recoil springs are now all the same. Any build date codes I should look for to have the newer RSA?
Mine was a sewing machine with a 45 Osprey can on it... 147 gr hand loads, factory loads... basically anything I threw at it, it cycled flawlessly. This was a while back (I'm sure the thread is out there) so it was before any fancy updates or anything.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I had my VP9T out this past Sunday for the first time and it ran flawlessly. I haven't ran it with a can yet but it fired 124gr Gold Dots, 115gr Federal Champion and 115gr Perfecta just fine.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts