HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning,
Being a rifle shooter, I'm just starting to learn about pistols. I've got a P2000 with the light lem trigger and a full size 45 USP DA/SA with safety and decocker. I've also been thinking about buying a VP9 but wanted to see if someone could tell me about the trigger. I have shot some DA/SA 229 & 226 Sigs along with a couple Walther PPQ's. How does the VP9 trigger compare to these? How is the VP going to compare to my P2000 light lem? Any function problems with the VP?

I know it's hard to describe a trigger in words but any comments or information will be appreciated. Right know it's a decision for me between the VP9 or the PPQ.

Thanks for your time,

Jim D
SE Texas

·
Registered
18,635 Posts
The VP9 trigger is as good as the PPQ but the reset is a bit longer. I feel that the PPQ has one of the best trigger resets out there.

A heck of a lot better than the P2000 trigger out of the box.

Having said that, this thread seems like a versus thread and will probably get nuked because versus is against the forum rules.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Having owned a PPQ M1 and currently own a VP9,I found both triggers equal.The big difference(to me) was the grip.The panels and back strap made the VP9 a better fit for me and I shoot better with it.I think fit is going to be the deciding factor,more than the trigger.Both triggers are the best I have ever used.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The reason I purchased the VP9 is because I like the trigger a LOT better than the PPQ. I've been a Walther fan for years, still own a P99, PPK etc. Never owned an HK until recently. Everyone says the PPQ trigger is awesome, but I cannot get past the LLLOOOONNNNNGGGG takeup of the PPQ trigger. Can't do it, I hate it. No other gun I own has that long of a takeup. Why I like the VP9 so much is that it feels like the PPQ but has a short takeup on the trigger. Based on that I consider the VP9 the better choice between the two.

To be fair, I seem to be the only one in the world that hates the PPQ trigger. We are all different...

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
The longer take up on the PPQ is there for safety reasons and yes you are one of the very few to complain about it. In any case it is there only for the first shot unless you let the trigger all the way out between shots.

I have both VP9 and PPQ and love them both.

·
Registered
50 Posts
The VP9 trigger has that middle portion on it that needs to be pressed so the trigger can be pulled. Compared to my wifes M&P 9c. The 9c was like they cut the factory trigger in 2 horizontally and used a pin to re-attach it.

See Apex trigger examples.

·
Registered
41 Posts
The Vp9 trigger is a little better than Light LEM..
I have to respectfully disagree. I find the VP9 trigger to be much better than the light LEM on my P30L (4.5 lbs CDA/LEM). This is the reason I picked it up. I find the initial take up on the LEM rather long but it's inherent in it's design and intent so I accept this. Then the creep is slightly more than the VP9 yet manageable & predictable once I get accustomed to it. It's creep is just a hair more than the VP9 if that helps? It's enough to be noticeable between the two. Then the break of the VP9 is crisper and I can only attribute this to the striker design. It reminded me much of my other "non-H&K" striker fired pistol that breaks very crisply. I ran my P30L (light LEM) side by side with my SFP9/VP9 on drills involving multiple target transitions and multiple shots on multiple targets and single targets. I was getting consistently shorter times & more accurate shots from the VP9 in comparison to the P30L. These were done with 2 handed grip freestyle. Then when I did one handed drills I again found better consistency with the VP9. This is my experience with the two YMMV.

I have to say, you all do an excellent job of describing the differences you notice and found your descriptions very informative and accurate. Thank you.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I find the VP9 trigger to be much better than the light LEM on my P30L (4.5 lbs CDA/LEM).
Ditto. My VP9 trigger pulls more consistently and breaks more smoothly than my P30. I like the P30 grip texture better, but the VP9 has, for me at least, the better trigger.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you guys so very much. Because of you all, I've got a new VP9 Grey frame on the way. I'll start a new thread " New VP9 Coming".
Thanks,

Jim D
SE Texas

·
Registered
41 Posts
Congrats BCD45!!! I guess I shudda used comparisons to rifles to make a better illustration of the differences between the two : )

·
Registered
347 Posts
I have to respectfully disagree. I find the VP9 trigger to be much better than the light LEM on my P30L (4.5 lbs CDA/LEM). This is the reason I picked it up. I find the initial take up on the LEM rather long but it's inherent in it's design and intent so I accept this. Then the creep is slightly more than the VP9 yet manageable & predictable once I get accustomed to it. It's creep is just a hair more than the VP9 if that helps? It's enough to be noticeable between the two. Then the break of the VP9 is crisper and I can only attribute this to the striker design. It reminded me much of my other "non-H&K" striker fired pistol that breaks very crisply. I ran my P30L (light LEM) side by side with my SFP9/VP9 on drills involving multiple target transitions and multiple shots on multiple targets and single targets. I was getting consistently shorter times & more accurate shots from the VP9 in comparison to the P30L. These were done with 2 handed grip freestyle. Then when I did one handed drills I again found better consistency with the VP9. This is my experience with the two YMMV.

I have to say, you all do an excellent job of describing the differences you notice and found your descriptions very informative and accurate. Thank you.
We can agree to disagree...I shot my VP9 and P30 Lite LEM right after each other to specifically compare the triggers.... Slight edge to VP9 as it is a striker fired gun and there isn't that take up vs a hammer fired gun. In regards to reset, trigger creep and travel they are very close in nature. Especially when shooting a controlled pair. Now I just had my USPc in 9mm converted to LEM but I also did the nickel plate seat spring but I haven't had a chance to compare.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Thank you guys so very much. Because of you all, I've got a new VP9 Grey frame on the way. I'll start a new thread " New VP9 Coming".
Thanks,

Jim D
SE Texas
I'm glad this thread was allowed to run it's course. I'm very new to this forum, but I am aware of the rules.

The problem is, there is a world of difference between "trashing the competition" and using a known model to contrast a picture of a model the reader is unfamiliar with.
Words like big and small don't mean a lot, but in between a Glock 26 and a Glock 19 helped me visualize the size of the VP9SK, and led me to buy one. :6200:

·
Registered
46 Posts
For my .02, the VP9 has a much shorter reset than standard USP triggers, and I find that Glock shooters take to it much more than the USP because it closer to what they are used to.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts