HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently had a Lazy Wolf Trigger installed in my VP9 Tactical that I sent in to Rick with Lazy Wolf Guns. I opted to just have the $99 drop in as I didn't see necessary to pay extra for the fancy tuning since I thought the trigger was pretty decent as-is. Well basically I got the gun back and the trigger pull feels pretty much the same, however the positive feeling reset is virtually gone and the only way I can tell the reset even happens is this tiny little audible "clicking" noise. If I was out shooting and wearing hearing protection I would have no way to physically know the trigger reset.

I contacted Rick and told him my issue and he assured that the gun functions properly and was tested but said that he would advise sending it back in to have the tuning properly done for a positive feeling reset. Well I don't really want to do that since shipping costs about $200 both ways and between that and the price of the tuning package I might as well just get a new VP9.

Does anyone know how I can fix this problem on my own?

(Of note, I had the new Duty/Defensive Carry Enhanced Trigger Pull Spring Kit from HK Parts dropped into the gun as well. Could this be part of the problem? Does anyone have experience with this Spring kit and could it be just as simple as putting the factory spring kit back in?)

·
Registered
80 Posts
In my experience doing VP9 triggers the problem you are having is directly related to the trigger reset spring. I always recommend using a stock spring instead of the match or enhanced or whatever HKparts is calling it today.

It's a pretty easy spring to change but you will need the HK pliers to get it done. Look up some YouTube videos and put your old spring back in or order a new one when you buy the pliers.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In my experience doing VP9 triggers the problem you are having is directly related to the trigger reset spring. I always recommend using a stock spring instead of the match or enhanced or whatever HKparts is calling it today.

It's a pretty easy spring to change but you will need the HK pliers to get it done. Look up some YouTube videos and put your old spring back in or order a new one when you buy the pliers.
If that's true then it's really disappointing that HKParts can't get something right that seems like it should be pretty simple to do. I just ordered another standard Trigger Return Spring for $3.95 from them and hopefully that will solve the problem. (And hopefully it's the ACTUAL factory reset spring...)

·
HK Shooting Team
2,890 Posts
In all likelihood, your trigger return spring is the cause of the feel difference. I think you are wise to use the HK factory TRS.....but question, why wouldn't you call HK in Columbus GA and just get a new HK TRS for an inexpensive amount? I don't know if they are in stock or not, but I know you will get the best price.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So update, I managed to find my factory return spring tonight and I re-installed it with the Lazy Wolf trigger and I'm still having the same problem! There is almost no felt reset and just this barely audible "clicking" noise.

I really feel like I just wasted a lot of time and money on this aftermarket trigger as I bought it mainly for aesthetics and it doesn't even perform properly. Really disappointed that Lazy Wolf said nothing about this on their website, I didn't realize I was going to be completely eliminating any felt trigger reset on my VP9. And there is no way in heck I'm going to pay another $200 in shipping and $300+ in tuning just to get the trigger to function properly 😡

·
Premium Member
2,750 Posts
I know exactly what you're referring to. I have one that sometimes does it only during dry-fire when I cycle the slide gently, like a press-check. Does not happen with live-fire or when the slide slams back into battery from slide-lock. I think the weaker-reset-feeling is just the trigger bar re-engaging the sear-release-catch. A normal reset feels like there is something else resetting, maybe the way the trigger-bar hits the firing-pin-safety on the way back forward. Maybe the different geometry of the LWG trigger tends to lessen this degree of engagement. This is one of those times you wish you had a cutaway version. I'm pretty stumped on this one, James @Teufelshund Tactical would be the guy to figure this out.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I just did one last night for a customer. I'm getting ready to test fire it at the range today. He wanted the enhanced TRS spring installed so I'll see how it does. So far in dry firing it seems perfectly fine. I haven't had any issues with what you're describing. i also changed out the sear spring and polished the trigger bar. It all seems very smooth with a solid positive reset.

Just curious, are you sure you have the legs on the TRS oriented correctly? I'm wondering if something wasn't installed correctly in your gun causing the problem.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just did one last night for a customer. I'm getting ready to test fire it at the range today. He wanted the enhanced TRS spring installed so I'll see how it does. So far in dry firing it seems perfectly fine. I haven't had any issues with what you're describing. i also changed out the sear spring and polished the trigger bar. It all seems very smooth with a solid positive reset.

Just curious, are you sure you have the legs on the TRS oriented correctly? I'm wondering if something wasn't installed correctly in your gun causing the problem.
I mean the gun is literally in the configuration I got it back from Lazy Wolf in, and since the trigger is performing exactly the same way it did before I reinstalled the factory TRS I don't think it's anything I did. The trigger pull feels fine it's just the reset that feels off. I would like to think they know what they are doing over there at LWG.

I had a mini baggy returned with the gun that contained a small spring that I'm unsure of what it is or where it goes. I'll try to post a picture of it later when I'm off work.

·
Premium Member
2,593 Posts
however the positive feeling reset is virtually gone and the only way I can tell the reset even happens is this tiny little audible "clicking" noise. If I was out shooting and wearing hearing protection I would have no way to physically know the trigger reset.
I know people gonna do what they gonna do but I'm funna leave this here for posterity:

Why you shouldn't pin/reset the trigger

PS, don't use anything proprietary HKParts in your guns.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's the sear spring. Lazy Wolf should have replaced it with a lighter spring.
Do you know if it can play any role in the trigger reset, like could a lighter one jumble things up a bit? It's either that or the form factor of the the LW trigger simply doesn't work very well with standard HK parts and needs special modification to have a proper reset.

·
Registered
80 Posts
It shouldn't have any effect on trigger reset if installed correctly. I just did the exact same trigger install last night for a customer in addition to polishing and deburring the trigger bar and disconnector. I test fired it today and the trigger is beautifully smooth with a nice crisp reset.

I honestly believe they got something wrong with your trigger and it needs to be completely stripped down and started over from scratch.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I honestly believe they got something wrong with your trigger and it needs to be completely stripped down and started over from scratch.
Which would be really disappointing since Rick's answer was essentially give me more money and I'll make it work better. I don't know how confident I feel to try to work on it myself. I'm learning but not an expert and the VP9 isn't exactly a Glock in terms of its makeup.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I hear you. The VP9 is far more complicated than a Glock. You do have some things going for you if you decide to do it yourself. The two most difficult parts of working on a VP9 are removing the dual roll pin in the frame and removing that dang trigger stop pin. Both have been done in your gun so it should be far easier.

There are several good videos on the subject. If you bought the HK TRS pliers, a set of punches and an armorers block there's no reason you can't do it yourself. Just watch the video several times and familiarize yourself with the process and the parts.

·
Premium Member
2,593 Posts
Well, that's one way to eliminate the problem lol. I've always heard to work the reset but I might just try this method when shooting and see how it goes..
It takes time and practice but someday it will just “click” (figuratively).

The pin/reset is basically a path of least resistance method to get novices to a point of “good enough”to surpass mediocre standards in short order. I.E. police academies, CCW courses. Then it’s been institutionally inbred for years and assumed to be a legit step/method.

I sometimes pin on slow fire but that’s it…reset is of no consequence

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I hear you. The VP9 is far more complicated than a Glock. You do have some things going for you if you decide to do it yourself. The two most difficult parts of working on a VP9 are removing the dual roll pin in the frame and removing that dang trigger stop pin. Both have been done in your gun so it should be far easier.

There are several good videos on the subject. If you bought the HK TRS pliers, a set of punches and an armorers block there's no reason you can't do it yourself. Just watch the video several times and familiarize yourself with the process and the parts.

Appreciate the help! I do have the HK TRS pliers and some punches so I'll have to sit down this weekend and see what I can do. I like working on guns and want to continue learning more so this should be a great opportunity for that.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts