HKPRO Forums banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
On my expert I have kept the blacked out sights. I find it easy to shoot accurately during the day. When I shoot a match with it during the day I am amazed at how accurate it is. At night I find it a little harder to see the front sight, but not too bad unless it's really dark. On my vp9's and my USP I have these sights

https://dawsonprecision.com/dawson-...sight-set-fiber-optic-rear-fiber-optic-front/

I really like these. I won't change my expert or the vp9L. I even like the stock luminescent sights on my p30's. I think the blacked out rear with a fiber optic front is best for competition, but I don't see much difference regardless of the sights. The only challenge is when the targets get smaller, then obviously the stock sights make it harder because the front sight covers the whole target.

I've never used the trijicon's.

Tried the Expert stock sights, not a fan, actually I only shot 50 rds, and cleaned and back in storage, so I never really zeroed, or mucked w them. Maybe one day I will.

Are the black out sights 6o’clock hold??

Or standard cover hold? If cover, how to determine where to aim with the blackout front and rear??”

Thank you

·
Premium Member
3,086 Posts
Tried the Expert stock sights, not a fan, actually I only shot 50 rds, and cleaned and back in storage, so I never really zeroed, or mucked w them. Maybe one day I will.

Are the black out sights 6o’clock hold??

Or standard cover hold? If cover, how to determine where to aim with the blackout front and rear??”

Thank you
For me on my expert, it's a cover hold. If the sights are lined up the pistol won't miss. I have shot it at 50 and 100 yards and was amazed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qP3h-rcpvXI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LGKBIVoaTo usp and expert

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Reactions: Dbealmear

·
Registered
6,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
There is no specific spot for cover gold, right?
Do I go with the center of the front blade? Or the top f the front blade?

Thanks for your understanding, patience, and expertise.
Why don't you move this offline to PM or something. Thx

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
Here's a Ballistics chart that might be helpful . Shooting out at these distances might seem like a waste of time , but it isn't . It's a great way to learn trigger control and when you bring the distance back in closer , the target looks huge . Sorry for the small chart, click to enlarge .

Screenshot (248).png

·
Premium Member
3,086 Posts
Here's a Ballistics chart that might be helpful . Shooting out at these distances might seem like a waste of time , but it isn't . It's a great way to learn trigger control and when you bring the distance back in closer , the target looks huge . Sorry for the small chart, click to enlarge .

View attachment 226522
Wow, this is cool. So at 100 yards is less than 10 inches of drop? That's interesting. Next time I get a chance to shoot at 50 and 100 I will try to factor that in. Would a lighter bullet, 115gr. drop less or more do you think? Generally speaking?

·
Registered
6,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
Wow, this is cool. Would a lighter bullet, 115gr. drop less or more do you think? Generally speaking?
That would depend on the velocity. It could be a little faster , less drop . Let's see.....standby. The 124gr I shoot is pretty fast actually , 1181FPS .

Lookie here !

Screenshot (249).png Screenshot (248).png

·
Super Moderator
4,379 Posts
Love the fiber optic, just not too keen on the Expert front and rear blacked out sights.

Hopefully can find some time to hit the range with the vp9l-b, as it’s no secret life has done a 180 couple years ago.

Will definitely try your recommendation on using the sight picture. Thank ou.
I've swapped out the sights on both my Elite 9 and Expert 9 for the Mepro adjustable night sights. I simply prefer three dot night sights on almost everything. I'll wait and see how I like the VP9 "Elite", but I know I would prefer green over red (based upon what I've experienced with two of my Caniks with fiber optic front sights--both of which I switched over to green using the provided piece). I wonder if HK might be willing to offer some other front sight choices on these kits in the future?

·
Premium Member
2,572 Posts
Helpful ballistic data from @Crashmc Looks like the .180" sights worked perfectly. I had the same front sight laying around but @.160" height. I was able to zero it at 25yds but had to crank down the rear sight close to bottom.

·
Super Moderator
4,379 Posts

·
Registered
6,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I'm a big fan of black adjustable rear sights . The rear on this one is good to go, for me at least . YMMV . You can order just the front sight for 37 Simoleons if you like . I tell you what , this thing is fun to shoot . Some folks say it's the sight radius, and that does help , but mechanically it is a very accurate system . This new VP9L -B from HK almost beats Dial-up internet service ( I just got me a computer ) .

·
Registered
6,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Mark you are a frickin' gunslinger! Thanks for the info.!
Hey John ! Have I told you that I miss you lately ? You know why ? Because I don't ! hahaha :biggrin: We got a bunch of Hickok 45 folks at out range and it's pretty damn funny at times . We're betting $25 bucks I can hit the little pig at 75 yards , or Rocky the Squirrel @ 35 , whatever , you see where it's going .... I tell you one thing though . I can take a pistol, just about any pistol, and shoot it well . I shoot a fair amount, sometimes 500 rds a week , but I'm shooting different stuff . My eyes don't get confused anymore with distance, hold, etc. I know how much my 9mm and .40 S&W ammo drop out to a 100 yd or so in 10 yard increments after it drops 1 to 2 inches. With 9mm it's good to 50 to 60 yards, and then it starts to fall off ( a 100 yds is about 10 inches ) .

It seems like all the new guys on the forum just want to talk about their carry weapon, and that's fine . I've had the same carry ,a P7M8 for several years and don't plan on changing that . Everybody should have at least ONE range gun IMHO .

·
Premium Member
1,366 Posts
I missed you at the last HK Anonymous meeting! hehehehe! Hickok 45 cracks me up! The guy has one helluva following for sure. Poppin' those plastic soda bottles and hitting the long distance gong. I do the same thing when I go to the range. It's fun to see how far you can make the shot at 50, 100, 150 yard distance. Especially when the Wyoming wind picks up. When that happens, there's lot of Wyoming Windage going for sure!!!

·
Registered
6,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I do the same thing when I go to the range. It's fun to see how far you can make the shot at 50, 100, 150 yard distance. Especially when the Wyoming wind picks up. When that happens, there's lot of Wyoming Windage going for sure!!!
You're in there ! I've never been out your way, or at least lower than 35,000 ft . I'll bet you have a ton of good places to shoot . It sounds like we are both lucky to have that option . You know a lot of folks live in places without the great outdoors available to shoot in . Our rifle ranges have some crosswinds at times but nothing like you have out there .

21 - 40 of 43 Posts