HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve decided to get a PTR91 GI (I’ve researched all the pros and cons). I want to dress it out as a 1970’s era G3A3. I haven’t found any good photos from that time showing a typical Bundeswehr G3 rifle.

So was the furniture tropical green, black or OD green?

Did the G3’s have the newer Navy Style lower receiver?

Was the upper receiver and barrel just grey park or were they painted?

Were the handguards narrow, wide?

Other than the internals is there anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Get the A3 slider from HKparts,its parked to match your GI model,then get an SEF steel lower thats clipped and pinned. Then put on the green slim forend and the green grip and thats the era your aiming for. But,there are many different set ups. The navy lower is used on all the G3 rifles being used today in afghanistan by the germans,norwegians and many more. It just depends on how your feeling that day. I have seen steel lowers also. I have all the different furniture,it is quite fun ,isnt it?LOL Picasa Web Albums - Marc - Piczzz

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome! Thanks for the pics. I like the looks of the sliding stock, but that just looks painful to shoot. I think I'm going to go with OD green furniture. Though most of you pics the rifles have black furniture. This is fun! My dad was stationed in Germany back during the seventies, so I'm nostalgic for old Cold War weapons and gear.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
The a3 is not as hard recoil as everyone sais it is.Bspring trigger work makes an upgraded buffer to replace the old shorter piston and spring. It is said to reduce recoil 40%. Im sending an A3 stock and one of my trigger pack s to him shortly.The A2 standard stock is great also and works better for magnified optics set up. A3 works great with irons or DOT sights. Enjoy .

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
AG3 clone with B&T military forearm/scope mount and green butt with msg90 buffer and 21 recoil pad.With the SEF steel lower thats been clipped & pinned.
GHILLIE built in the USA

·
Registered
279 Posts
MGR-281 - H&K G3 Stock Set Olive Drab Grade II Includes Stock Forearm Grip and Hardware For the green stocks. Not a bad price either. The set I got even came with pins. Tcr has it right about the metal lowers. Honestly I never saw the navy plastic lowers until they first came out for MP-5's. Still love the old metal classic look. Hans has some nice pics of older combinations. He will probably be along with some shortly. Prices are very reasonable now compared what they used to be. That's the beauty of HK design, make it mission specific for your needs. Have fun. Awesome pics Tcr. I had to look at them all and enjoyed every one, thanks. Noticed I don't think I saw a stanag mount in any pics. The B&T must be pretty awesome for all those operators to be using them.

·
Registered
485 Posts
So was the furniture tropical green, black or OD green? OD green.

Did the G3’s have the newer Navy Style lower receiver? Steel with green grip, navy was not used until after the last retrofit in the 1990's

Was the upper receiver and barrel just grey park or were they painted? Manganese Phosphate.

Were the handguards narrow, wide? Narrow OD green

The G3 configuration was finalized in 1967. No other changes were made to the G3 for nearly 30 years where in the 1990's they were retrofitted with the black navy type grip, green slim handguard and the case deflector welded to the rear of the ejection port.

This information was obtained from the book Full Circle: A Treatise on Roller Locking.

·
Registered
221 Posts
There's good pic on page 134-135 of the 50th anniversary book of G3 no 1.000.000 made in 1967 IIRC. Just like blfuller describes above.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I love the look of the A3 slider. but so prefer the full stock for actual shooting. I swap em out for show or for the range

·
Banned
879 Posts
AG3 clone with B&T military forearm/scope mount and green butt with msg90 buffer and 21 recoil pad.With the SEF steel lower thats been clipped & pinned.
GHILLIE built in the USA
That's just ******* gorgeous.

As the song goes, I just jizzed in my pants.

As it were, I have a box full og mags, a forarm, a scope rail, collapsible stock, etc. sitting in a box waiting for me to make the order for a PTR GI to turn into something very closly resembling that. I had to go with the PTR forarm with rails and the MFI rail mount simply for cost reasons so it won't be a "perfect" copy of an AG3F2, but it'll be close enough for the moment.

To be honest though, i'd really like to find a KAC railed forend for it in the future.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
The germans are using the B&T forearm like this one also. I had the PTR railed forearm on it first,then broke down and dropped the $265 on the B&T. Its rock solid and kinda floats the barrel.Thanks

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
MGR-281 - H&K G3 Stock Set Olive Drab Grade II Includes Stock Forearm Grip and Hardware For the green stocks. Not a bad price either. The set I got even came with pins. Tcr has it right about the metal lowers. Honestly I never saw the navy plastic lowers until they first came out for MP-5's. Still love the old metal classic look. Hans has some nice pics of older combinations. He will probably be along with some shortly. Prices are very reasonable now compared what they used to be. That's the beauty of HK design, make it mission specific for your needs. Have fun. Awesome pics Tcr. I had to look at them all and enjoyed every one, thanks. Noticed I don't think I saw a stanag mount in any pics. The B&T must be pretty awesome for all those operators to be using them.
The germans are still using fero-z stanag scope in the spotter role with these snipers. Look for the g3,s Die Bundeswehr in Afghanistan - Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums

·
Banned
879 Posts
That pic is the same pic that motivated me to start a clone as well. I told my wife that it touched something deep in my Norwegian heritage and I was compelled to build that rifle.

She just shook her head and laughed at me.........she does that a lot lately......

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
That pic is the same pic that motivated me to start a clone as well. I told my wife that it touched something deep in my Norwegian heritage and I was compelled to build that rifle.

She just shook her head and laughed at me.........she does that a lot lately......
LOL. This has become a passion for me also, I,m getting ready to do a G3k build,with mostly german parts. I am truly addicted to these rifles.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts