HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the slogan has been "in a world of compromise, some dont" or "no compromise" I am seeing a lot of patches out there that say "in a world of compromise some men dont" Was this ever an official slogan of HK, or is this a rip off?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I remember seeing this slogan first. around early-mid 90s.
"in a world of compromise, some men dont"

It later changed to this. around late 90s-early 2000.
"in a world of compromise, some dont"

And then to this. around mid-2000.
"no compromise"

Not 100% on time frames.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So it was the real deal and that got changed later...for political correctness???

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so sad :(

·
Registered
153 Posts
I hate political correctness. But i think, "no compromise" is much better and sounds, in my opinion, more powerful than the longer version.

Beside this, a Slogan has to be short. So even dummies can remember it. :)

·
Er spricht schlechtes Deutsch...
1,601 Posts
You could say it was a compromise. :)

·
Registered
8,294 Posts
I believe "some men don't" was used in 1986. I met a guy who was real into HK (may have been an employee at one time) who said it was his wife who complained to an executive at HK.

If you think about it, the slogan was anti-male; it suggested that some men compromise. The slogan was completely silent about women.

·
Registered
8,294 Posts
Ahhh, the good old days! I believe that I will keep all of my old school, HK memorabilia.
My "some men don't" coffee mug is the centerpiece of my HK mug collection. Only made in 1986 (I believe).

And yes, there are fakes out there!

·
Registered
527 Posts
The original "...SOME MEN DON'T" slogan was written by an HKI ad agency hired out of Connecticut who had the media contract for several years starting in 84 or so. They were the designers of the first real color catalogs showing all of the Commercial products.

The HK91 ad where the "hunter" in the frozen woods is shown clearing his 91 after a dip in a frozen puddle is actually the owner of the ad agency, and it was an accident that he went into the puddle. He was in the woods for a
photo shoot and had no intention of getting wet.

Same agency created the "swamp man" ad made famous as the first full page gun ad in Playboy magazine. This ad was later plagiarized by Spfld Armory. Original belt buckles and patches and mugs were all commisioned by them, ( I sold most of my early collecton to SUDS years ago...)and Steve Galloway, who is still with HK, was the employee who handled the ad agency.

Later in the program the "MEN" was dropped, as HKPro stated, it was a compromise...

·
Premium Member
8,632 Posts
I hate political correctness. But i think, "no compromise" is much better and sounds, in my opinion, more powerful than the longer version.

Beside this, a Slogan has to be short. So even dummies can remember it. :)
Same here. I actually like "No Compromise" better. More direct and to the point.

·
Registered
8,294 Posts
( I sold most of my early collecton to SUDS years ago...)
:cool: If you sold me the prototype swampman buckle, you must have changed your handle? Glad to see you are still around.

And while we are on the subject...MOST of your early collection? That suggests there may be more?!!! :390:

1 - 20 of 62 Posts