HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I have a USPc .45, and put Wolff +10% springs into the stock mags. When firing, the slide seems to "hang up" slightly as it closes (moves slow enough that I can see it easily). I think this is due to the increased friction from the next round pressing up on it, due to the stronger mag springs.

It still goes fully into battery, and hasn't misfed in ~200 rounds since I changed the springs. But I do worry about it.

Do I need a new recoil spring? (If so, from whom to buy?)

I guess I could put the weaker factory mag springs back in as well, but I haven't heard of others having this problem with the Wolff mag springs...

Any advice appreciated!

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
The factory recoil spring is rather strong to begin with (some would even say oversprung). It is designed to handle very hot loads. You shouldn't need to upgrade it at all, and its normal replacement point is somewhere around 20,000 rounds I believe.

Personally, I prefer USPs with an old, well-worn recoil spring. To me, it seems to shoot softer and smoother.

If you are concerned about your slide not moving smoothly, I would look to cleaning and lubrication. :)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the quick responses.

To clarify: The slide moves slowly with the Wolff +10% springs and stock (used) recoil spring. It moves quickly with all stock (used) springs. This occurs with the gun clean. The mags require a lot of force to insert and I feel the increased resistance to slide motion even with a press check.

Putting the various comments together, it sounds as if people are suprised that this would be the case. That makes me think that the recoil spring is "well worn". To test whether the Wolff springs are too strong or the recoil spring is too weak, I suppose I could get new stock HK mag springs... But so many people recommend the Wolff springs as a standard reliability upgrade and I hadn't heard this problem mentioned before.

Anyone else notice this behavior?

FYI: The Wolff springs have been in the mags for a few months and are stored loaded, so if they're going to "break in" it sure won't be anytime soon.

Best,
David

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
When I say that I don't think that the Wolff mag-springs will cause the slide to malfunction, I am not saying that they will not affect the slide resistance. It makes sense to me that the slide would be affected by the mag-spring pressure (just as you describe) since the mag-spring presses the cartridges up against the slide while it is moving. My own original HK mag-springs for my USPc 45 are long gone so I cannot compare the difference in perceived slide resistance myself, but I can say that in 98% of the cases that I have seen arise on this forum, the Wolff +10% mag-springs prevented or eliminated problems and enhanced reliability. I have never heard of anyone on here having to upgrade to a heavier recoil spring due to changing out their mag-springs, nor that anyone has ever had any other malfunctions caused by upgrading to the Wolff +10% springs (I have heard "I can't get the last round in the mag" countless times though :) ).

I would say this: If you are uncomfortable with the thought that your recoil spring may be underperforming and you want to replace it, go with the stock spring weight. Unless you are going to be feeding your Compact a steady diet of .45 Super (not recommended in the Compact, plus you'd have to be rich enough to afford the ammo), there is no benefit from using a heavier recoil spring. In fact, a heavier spring may cause your pistol not to cycle properly with some of the weaker ammo out there.

As far as the mag-springs go, some USPs (probably twenty-something percent based on polls taken on this forum) distinctly benefit from upgrading to Wolff springs. For the others, its more of a "peace of mind" preventive type of upgrade.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I have another thread here explaining my issue with my hard chromed USPc - to sum it up. My 9mm USPc mags were not locking the slides back anymore. I got Wollfe springs (+10%) and this fixed it.

Got my slide hard chromed. Gun jammed when I got it back. Tried mags that still had the stock springs. Gun was 100%. The slide also locked back for a while, but recently stopped locking back reliably with the stock mag springs.

Also, a NEW HK USPc 10 rounder caused the gun to jam until I left the mag loaded for 2 months and worked the spring up and down with a pencil.

I have put over 1000 rounds thru the gun since hard chroming the slide.

FINALLY now, I can use the Wollfe Springs in the mags and have the gun work IF I leave the mags loaded for 1-2 months, and then work the springs up and down by using a pencil on the follower - pushing it up and down a bunch of time...

Weird? Yes - I assume...

What is my point.. Granted, my issue may be because the specs on my gun may have slightly changed due to the hard chroming - but I was showing that the +10% mags CAN affect performance.

Leave the mags loaded fully for 1-2 months - then use a pencil and push the follower down 30-50 times. THEN try it. Maybe that will work for U.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Orfeo:
Thanks for the clarification. I hear what you are saying... It probably won't cause a malfunction if it hasn't already. I think it's the fact that there's a noticable difference, and that it's noticably slower than any other semiauto I've fired, that makes me worry. I think I will probably try a new spring sometime soon just to see how much a difference it makes (if it's a lot, then I'd probably keep the new spring, else use it as backup). Appreciate the advice on spring strength. Looking at the catalog, it doesn't look as if Wolff even makes recoil springs for the .45 compact, so I was planning on HK anyhow.

Any advice on the best supplier for this part?

Mr. Shipwreck:
Wow. Thanks for the telling me about that. I'm sorry you've had that problem... Reliability problems with guns, the few times I've had them, have driven me bonkers. I'm also surprised that changing the tolerances that much on the USP resulted in a problem, as I'd always thought of it as a gun that has looser fit tolerances exactly for the purpose of increasing reliability.
(Recently Melonited my PSP, and this makes me glad I didn't hard chrome it.)
Appreciate the tip with the mags; I'll try the pencil trick next time I take it to the bench,

Cheers,
Dave

1 - 8 of 8 Posts