HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!
********SOLVED****!!!!!!!!
Ok folks, just want to say thank you for all of the help you guys put forth. It really helped me out. What the problem was is that a roll pin the recoil spring assembly had worked its way out of the assembly. About an 8th of an inch was protruding out one side. This pin was catching on the recoil spring as the spring was being compressed. I took a small allen wrench and a hammer and hammered the pin back into it's correct position. I've got to say that although it was an easy solution, I have had to put up with this noise for about a year now. I hope the pin will not work itself loose any more. If anyone has questions as to what I am talking about, I can supply scans or a more detailed description.

Once again thanks for all of the help!

I have an HK USP .40 S&W. It has an AD datecode and I have fired 3,000 plus rounds through it. I would say around 2005 I began to notice a strange noise when I racked the slide to the rear. It sounded "crunchy", but as you know it is hard to describe a noise, it's easier to hear it. Below is a link to the sound file:
http://www.zshare.net/download/4350058f0e87f1/
(You have to click "Skip this ad" in the far upper right. I do not know of any other sound hosting site, if anyone could host this for me on a better site, feel free to do so and I will edit my post).

So, my question to you guys: Is this normal? If it is, or isn't, what's making the noise? The weapon functions fine, it just hurts to have a $700 pistol make such a crappy noise when I racked the slide back. Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Sounds like something is wrong with the slide/frame rails,check for large notches or bruises or maybe the slide release lever is hitting the slide while moving
i don't know,but sure there is something hitting the slide while moving back & forth,and don't forget to check/replace the spring if needed.
Good luck,

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
Try to add some oil on hammer/trigger action, trigger pivot and connection off trigger and trigger bar. I had same thing on my P2000SK as it dried out complerelly from constant carry. USP line works dry, but it's better to keep it lubed up, also in trigger/hammer action parts.

·
Premium Member
1,850 Posts
ok got it to work. yeah something is up. where exactly is your slide as it makes that noise, i wish you could post video of it, that might help us diagnose your problem.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I had this same EXACT sound come from a Smith and Wesson Sigma .40 about 7 years ago.

I immediately sent it to Smith, and 5 days later got the pistol back with a letter saying:

"Replaced Sear Housing Block Assy; Detail Clean; Polished Feed Ramp; Test Fire"

All covered under warranty. The pistol has functioned flawlessly ever since.

I think the detail clean, polished feed ramp, and test fire were "above and beyond" things because I kept the gun spotlessly clean and well lubricated.

Send it in to HK.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Take the slide off, from inside the slide run your finger nail along the inside of the top of the slide( running from the direction of the barrel opening to the top of the ejection port). You are looking for a slight bump or raised edge right where the top of the barrel assembly meets the top of the slide. Again the bump will be right were the top slide opening (on the inside of the slide) meets the barrel assembly. If you feel a slight bump or raised edge, then your slide has deformed and the sound you are hearing is the top of the barrel block sliding over the bump as the barrel tips downward.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok got it to work. yeah something is up. where exactly is your slide as it makes that noise, i wish you could post video of it, that might help us diagnose your problem.
You're going to have to bear with me here.

The noise doesn't come up until I start pulling and hitting the recoil spring. The barrel unlocks fine and the slide comes back about an inch?, but once I start hitting the resistance of the spring the noise comes into play.

I will try to do a video if you think it would help.
Once again everyone thanks for all of the help. I just sent an E-Mail to HK USA with the sound file attached. Hopefully they will set me straight.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!
********SOLVED****!!!!!!!!
Ok folks, just want to say thank you for all of the help you guys put forth. It really helped me out. What the problem was is that a roll pin the recoil spring assembly had worked its way out of the assembly. About an 8th of an inch was protruding out one side. This pin was catching on the recoil spring as the spring was being compressed. I took a small allen wrench and a hammer and hammered the pin back into it's correct position. I've got to say that although it was an easy solution, I have had to put up with this noise for about a year now. I hope the pin will not work itself loose any more. If anyone has questions as to what I am talking about, I can supply scans or a more detailed description.

Once again thanks for all of the help!

·
Premium Member
1,850 Posts
Glad you got it fixed!!! Go put another 3000rds through it!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts