HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got it cleaned up after getting it welded up, but am not sure about the best way to create the ramp. Anyone have any suggestions? Is this pretty much a dremel job from here?

Thanks

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,213 Posts
Nooooooooooo.

Use a carbide key-way cutter on milling machine.

Welding up carriers is not a typical DIY job. If you get the wrong geometry, the carrier will release the catch (auto-sear) too soon and you could get out-of-battery discharge.

·
Grand Chazzar
3,353 Posts
Nooooooooooo.

Use a carbide key-way cutter on milling machine.

Welding up carriers is not a typical DIY job. If you get the wrong geometry, the carrier will release the catch (auto-sear) too soon and you could get out-of-battery discharge.
What radius ?
&how far from the rear or the carrier should the radius start ?
In English ...........lol
I HATE metric ....

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,213 Posts
What radius ?
&how far from the rear or the carrier should the radius start ?
In English ...........lol
I HATE metric ....
Don't know... I refuse to do carrier welds... most factory F/A carriers are tungsten filled too.
But if I were going to do them, I'd just grab a factory carrier and take measurements.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
I think the puddle of weld alone will be softer than the surrounding steel. The ramp area will wear quickly when coming in contact with the trip lever. My experience has been that smiths will usually weld in a piece of harder stock for the trip lever to wear against.

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,213 Posts
I think the puddle of weld alone will be softer than the surrounding steel. The ramp area will wear quickly when coming in contact with the trip lever. My experience has been that smiths will usually weld in a piece of harder stock for the trip lever to wear against.
Use stainless rod for the weld-up... stuff is like kyptonite hard.

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
I think the puddle of weld alone will be softer than the surrounding steel. The ramp area will wear quickly when coming in contact with the trip lever.
Depends... if the guy welding knows what he's doing everything will be fine. Mine were just welded up with nothing BUT weld back in '95 and I don't think I have to tell you how I shoot'em. No appreciable wear to date.

·
Registered
10,235 Posts

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,213 Posts
C'mon, everyone knows your collection is all safe queens...... :)
LOL. The pink one looks more like a drag queen :biggrin:

·
Registered
961 Posts
I made a tool steel insert with a 1" radius and pressed it into the semi auto cut out. A tack weld at the rear, file
flat and it's been great since. I room my measurements
From a factory auto carrier......

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
LOL. The pink one looks more like a drag queen :biggrin:
Looked, ya mean. It got painted a gloss black with silver ghost flames several years back... and a bunch of people bitched about that! Said I had no right to remove the pink "Hello Kitty" paint job.... go figure.

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,213 Posts
Looked, ya mean. It got painted a gloss black with silver ghost flames several years back... and a bunch of people bitched about that! Said I had no right to remove the pink "Hello Kitty" paint job.... go figure.
I remember that now, lol.

My buddy over at Underground Gunworks, who does mean Siaga conversions, has painted them every color you can think of. Dragonfly Purple is pretty popular with the ladies on a 410 Saiga conversion.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts