HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I took a girlfriend of mine shooting the other day. She wanted to get an idea of a full range of guns/calibers as she has really small hands, and is looking for a "one gun" type set up. Look, everyone here is an HK fan for one reason or another, so I am no different. I also own a mixed bag of this and that, much like most here I imagine.

So anyway, I had an M&P45, SIG represented by a P229 9mm, P227 (I had yet to shoot it) and a P238. I also had a Taurus TCP on loan from a buddy. Obviously I had some HK's. I had my EDC; P30 .40 V1, my HK45C light LEM, and P30 9mm V2 modified. I also took out my P7M8 just to test fire after she came back form the mother ship with some new parts.

So after about an hour of shooting, we got one of those NC thunderstorms rolling in. No biggie. A little rain. If it ain't raining etc. etc. Then it picked up a bit... OK, time to pack it up. Then suddenly I truly think midgets were following me around dousing me with fire hoses.

"Throw it in the truck! Eff it! Jeeze where did this come from!"

I mean for crying out loud is was biblical! Everything got doused. In my big HK range bag there were 3 inches of standing water. I drained it all when the storm subsided, and headed home. Now here's where it gets interesting. Once I got home I could truly appreciate a few things. Here's the breakdown. Keep in mine every single one is treated equally in Frog Lube, and this was just a few hours after.

TCP - Solid rusty slide from back to front. Solid.
P227 - Rail and control surfaces were rusty, slide release in particular.
P229 - Control Surfaces and, much to my surprise, the locking breech were well rusted.
P238 - Fine. It was holstered as well, but it was perfect. (the .380, I had P228 on here prior)
M&P45 - Takedown lever solid rust, rails, magazines, and some on the serration's. Also, upon cycling and disassembly it also broke the striker assembly tab. WTF?

HK's aren't worth breaking down individually. Why? Because aside from some pretty nifty pics I took of them doused and filthy, you'd never know anything happened. Not a speck. I wiped them off and put them back where they belong. I'm not so surprised by how well the HK's did from what essentially is just a little rain, but I am shocked by how poorly everything else did. Well... time to clean them up and get the for sale signs ready. I'll hang onto my P226 and P238, but everything else is going. That's just unacceptable.

·
Registered
754 Posts
would love to see pictures of the carnage.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I want to see pics as well. I had a Kimber TLE II 1911 some years back and remember that the barrel rusted on me in a matter of no time. I barely had my fingers wet when putting her away and had a nice surprise a week later when I took her out for some range time. That's definitely unacceptable and I'd go bonkers seeing what happened to you because I'm super OCD when it comes to my guns

·
Registered
62 Posts
Wow. I've had firearms rust before due to my work environment and defective coatings (replaced under warranty) on a Glock 19, M&P 40C and an M&P 40. That being said, I've shot multiple matches in pretty good rain (nothing I'd consider "torrential") and never a spec of rust. Also, my HKs have held up just fine at work with zero signs of rusting.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Interesting. Thanks for sharing. I do have to say I'm surprised they rusted that quick.
I'm not surprised about the HK's performance; I've had mine get rained on a time or two, and never had any issues.

And the non-believers say HK's are overpriced.
As we here know and see, you get what you pay for.

As a side note, I would look at swapping out the Frog Lube too.
To say something like, Slip 2000 EWL.

·
Registered
159 Posts
P227, Rail was rusted? Hard Anodized.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Premium Member
2,859 Posts
It's not that I don't want to believe that this happened (it sure has been raining here in NC), but pics or it didn't happen!

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Devil spent too much on crud guns and couldn't afford a good camera phone. :0)P

·
Registered
141 Posts
I will admit I am surprised at the results. I do not question the honesty of the OP. Thank you for this report.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I'm not surprised.

Generally, the enhanced friction-reducing properties of synthetic lubricants contributes to increased susceptibilities to corrosion because the protective film of oil will dissipate more readily with synthetics than old school gun lubricants.

In this case, can the OP speak to when the guns that rusted were last lubricated?

·
Registered
311 Posts
I use it all the time and there are loads of corrosion reports and videos you can find online. Rust in a few hours? I just can't buy it. It works great for me.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Guns were probably not properly treated after being degreased... If you had a gun that was degreased and not properly treated with frog lube initially I can absolutely see how this can happen.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I use it all the time and there are loads of corrosion reports and videos you can find online. Rust in a few hours? I just can't buy it. It works great for me.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
I'm with you, I was kinda being facicious.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Guns were probably not properly treated after being degreased... If you had a gun that was degreased and not properly treated with frog lube initially I can absolutely see how this can happen.
In a few hours? The pistol is still melonite over stainless steel and the frame inserts are stainless steel.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
P6140046.JPG P229 Mag Release
P6140045.JPG P229 Innards
P6140044.JPG P229 Chamber
P6140041.JPG P229 Controls
P6140038.JPG P229 Locking Breach
P6140034.JPG P227 Controls; I misspoke, I didn't mean (although I said) frame rails on the 227, I meant there was rust on the slide rails. The slide is getting night sights put on right now so i don't have it.
P6140032.JPG M&P45 Takedown Lever
P6140029.JPG M&P45 Serrations. This is the worst pic but the only one I seem to be able to upload.

I have a few more, but you get the just. Look, if it hadn't happened, would I post about it? The point is the HK's have gotten the exact same treatment since brought into the fold, but they are obviously vastly superior to holding up to the elements. I'm anal about caring for the weapons the way they should be, which is why this is such a shocker given a little bit of H2O.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm not surprised.

Generally, the enhanced friction-reducing properties of synthetic lubricants contributes to increased susceptibilities to corrosion because the protective film of oil will dissipate more readily with synthetics than old school gun lubricants.

In this case, can the OP speak to when the guns that rusted were last lubricated?
Last week a rub down. From the last full degrease to proper frog lube treatment? About a month. But that little tidbit is insightful. I think I'm done with non-oils for now.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts