HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Premium Member
Very interesting. So what the back story of that rifle? A one of a kind custom build? Done here or Germany?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Premium Member
RLTW
Awesome addition...congrats. Dont forget to do a range report. I am curious to see what MOA you can achieve with it.

Premium Member
Interesting piece of history you have acquired, congrats! Yours would appear to be closer to a production model 鈥 better looking than the one in Ian鈥檚 video.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So, some Backstory and the initial Range Report:

First off, holy crap, this is one accurate Rifle. Going up against my Dad's Steyr SSG 69 Police at 100m, it was grouping on par using the same 168gr SMK HPBT Loads as the Steyr. As we only had a short slot on the range, we only tested one load and roughly sighted in the scope (Schmidt & Bender 10x42 Mildot on an HK05 Mount), finishing the session I figured I'd use my last 10 rounds to see how she heats up and fired them in about 6 seconds, resulting in a 3cm (bit more than 1 inch) circle. Overall, very impressed, very stable (it is heavy!), great trigger and fantastic ergonomics. Moe to come and some pictures when I make it out to range next time!

As for the Backstory, I found two old articles in German Gun Magazines, stating that the rifle was introduced at the IWA Weapons Trade Show in Nuremberg in 1998, stating that it was a result from Competition Shooters requesting a match grade SL7 from HK, HK promising the same for years, but not delivering. At the time there was one guy in Germany building custom Match Grade SL7s, so there was a market there, thus stepped in a wholesale company called "WISCHO", which ordered this version straight from HK and brought it to the civilian market in several iterations (some without sights, some with, some with the weights, such as in Ian's video). Having had a more detailed look at the rifle, I can tell from the spots where some of the paint has rubbed off from the stock, that this rifle, at some stage, was initially painted in Camouflage o_O, adding to my confusion and also pointing towards some form of Prototype/Sniper/Trials story...

As for the rifle itself, the Barrel is indeed a 22mm, 650mm polygonal PSG-1 Barrel with a sight added on and outside from the locking piece (marked for the 7x64 cartridge at I believe 23 degrees (need to confirm that next time I clean it), possible from a planned HK940 version), the rifle is bog standard. Locking time works fine for 168gr round, not causing any undue stress to the rubber buffer.

I'll get into more details next time I take her out, and then also some pictures of the paper ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts