HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am an intern in DC for the next five months. I needed to find a place to shoot meantime; so I went to the NRA indoor range at the NRA museum. It is a nice place. I shot pistols there, it was my first time ever shooting in an indoor range.

The other shooters there acted like they had never heard or seen a double tap before. A group to my left was really impressed with my usp elite45. They were saying things like "Whoa, look at that... that is sweet." It was really fun.

Anyway, I think the elite 45 slide is just an elongated hk45 after looking at the slide contous and overall shape. Anyone else think so? Anyone have both guns and care to post some pictures?

·
Registered
558 Posts
The Elite slide is an extension/adaptation of the USP slide. If there is any similarity between the extension of the Elite slide and the HK45 you would would have to assume the HK45 was taken from that since the Elite has been around years before the HK45.

I have not handled an Elite in years so I can't make a direct comparison.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Elite slide is an extension/adaptation of the USP slide. If there is any similarity between the extension of the Elite slide and the HK45 you would would have to assume the HK45 was taken from that since the Elite has been around years before the HK45.

I have not handled an Elite in years so I can't make a direct comparison.
I meant that they look the same in that they both tapper towards the top of slide, thats all. The elite slide is actually an entirely different animal than the regular usp slides.

·
Registered
17 Posts
!

They let me go full auto there once:) But I had to let the range officer shoot the rifle cause he was drooling on it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yea, the NRA range really is a beautiful range. Only indoor 50yd range I've ever seen.

They have these neat electronic state-of-the-art target carrier controls where you key in the range you want the target at, and press, 'go'. The partitions between lanes are clear plexiglass, so it is a little discerning at first because you see all this movement to your left & right.

The range masters there really are range 'nazis'. Think of old, retired drill-instructor types frowning & scowling with their arms crossed standing behind you. For example, don't even think about uncasing a long arm unless the barrel is pointed forward. (nothing wrong with that, I guess). I think they'd have a heart attack if you dropped a long gun onto the sling and did a transition to your handgun.

Realistic 'people targets' aren't allowed - - nothing with facial features, ears, etc. B27 type sillouettes are ok, tho.

Overall, I got the feeling that the NRA range managers would like to see their clientele be like grandpa and little opie with his .22 single shot bolt squirrel gun; ala Norman Rockwell. I've shot scary black ARs w/suppressors there, but never felt that comfortable. (it is good that they do allow rifle calibers there - - most ranges are moving away from that).

Thus, my impressions of the NRA range.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Nice writeup Gary. My cousin shoots at the NRA range and hope to visit it next month when I am down there. He has some of the same complaints as you.

·
Registered
17 Posts
!

I do think that the range staff at the NRA are great. Keep in mind they have to deal with dozens of morons a day with no formal firearms training shooting high power rifles. If you know how to handle a firearm it shows, and thay will let you do your thing. HK owners and operators by nature usually are more skilled than Tyshawn shooting the Lorcin which ruins it for us all.

·
Registered
48 Posts
to say the staff deals with dozens of morons a day is an understatement. I had a friend that worked there once.....the stories he has told me......some people need a IQ test to own a firearm.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Thanks for the report, Visiting the NRA range is on my list

·
Registered
706 Posts
I do think that the range staff at the NRA are great. Keep in mind they have to deal with dozens of morons a day with no formal firearms training shooting high power rifles. If you know how to handle a firearm it shows, and thay will let you do your thing. HK owners and operators by nature usually are more skilled than Tyshawn shooting the Lorcin which ruins it for us all.
is that a hint of racism i sense?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts