HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
...waiting for a VP45 OR.
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all. I'm looking for an 11" handguard (picatinny or m-lock; metal or polymer) that will work for an MR556A1 that has a 14.5" barrel... and has an inner diameter of at least 1.6" (4.06cm).

The handguard will have to slide over a welded suppressor that has a diameter of 1.58" to allow access to the gas tube and barrel for cleaning & maintenance.

Any knowledge and/or recommendations are greatly appreciated in advance. MNY THX!

·
Registered
56 Posts
If I'm getting this right you want a handguard that can be taken on/off on a MR556 with a welded 1.6" diameter suppressor?

Every 416 handguard I am aware of will have a maximum inside diameter of 1.3" at the tightest point, since they have to snug around the barrel nut. If you don't mind a captive handguard there are a few that will probably work.

Looking at the 12.5" HK MLOK rail I have kicking around, the internal diameter starts at 1.3" where it interfaces with the barrel nut, but opens up to 1.75" for the rest of the length. With a welded suppressor, this would allow you to pull the rail forward enough to access the gas block and piston assembly but it wouldn't be possible to remove the handguard completely.

I was thinking about testing it as an integrally suppressed 10.4" but you can PM me if you can't find anything else that will work. Make sure you pick a rail that you like before permanently attaching in to your rifle!

·
Registered
...waiting for a VP45 OR.
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You got it, and thanks for the reply.

I've got the stock 16.5" barrel and an 11" quad rail, as well as a new UTG Pro M-Lok 15" handguard and a new 14.5" barrel to go along with the suppressor (1.58" dia).

I could run the 16.5" barrel with the 15" (really 14.7") handguard and use the direct thread suppressor with no worries, but... I would like to use the 14.5" barrel and get an 11"-12.5" handguard that will fit and slide over (just enough) the "required" welded suppressor for rifle maintenance.

For only 2" of barrel length difference, the effort of looking for a suitable handguard, and the permanency of welding the can to a barrel, I'm trying to figure out Pro's & Con's...

Stick with a 16.5" setup w/ removable direct thread can, or dive into running the 14.5" barrel, tracking down another handguard, and having to weld the can to stay "legal"? What am I missing here, in regards to a "sanity check"? It's early in the morning, so sorry about my rambling. Thanks in advance for the feedback.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Sounds like a fun project. Whether the 2" of barrel really makes a difference is up to you. What can are you running?

I'll send you some pictures of the rail I have on hand. I suspect a Remington RAHG would work. The Geissele SMR looks too tight, but maybe someone with one can chime in with dimensions. Those only come in 10" and 14.5" configurations as far as I am aware though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts