HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am using a B&T suppressor on a factory MP5. I have tried Hush 165gr rounds by Freedom Munitions, GTG 147gr rounds, Fenix 147gr rounds, IMI 158gr rounds, and American Eagle Subsonic rounds. I thought initially that the Hush 165gr rounds were the quietest, but with further comparison, it seems that the Hush 165gr rounds and GTG 147gr rounds are about the same, and the Fenix 147gr rounds seem to be a little quieter. What ammo have the rest of you tried with a suppressed MP5? Is anyone finding subsonic 9mm ammo available anyplace?

Charles Tatum

·
Registered
750 Posts
PPU and Fiocchi 158 are the best that I've used.

I've also found S&B 140gr to be extremely quiet and very low back pressure.

Two rounds that I absolutely hate are 147gr Blazer brass and Speer Lawman 147gr. They are both hot rounds that are loud and have blowback. The Blazer 147 has had issues stabilizing and I find pieces of the jacket in my suppressor. Luckily my KAC can is bombproof so no visual damage but it sounded like a maraca after putting a few mags of Blazer Brass 147gr through it.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I've always read that Fiocchi 158 is great, but I haven't been able to find any for probably a year to even try.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I shoot 147gr American Eagle for target, 147gr HSTs (not +p) for carry and occasionally target. With a Griffin Armament Optimus 9, it's hearing-safe to me even in an indoor range (and I'm somewhat hearing paranoid)

·
Registered
136 Posts
RUAG SWISS P 10g Subsonic and Fiocchi 158gr
Ruag is slightly quieter with B&T can but about double the price of the Fiocchi.

·
Priest of the P7
4,793 Posts
I did a test with Speer LM 147 and PrviP 158gr staggered in a mag and I couldn’t discern any difference through my SP5 with B&T 3lug qd can.
Maybe a db meter could, behind the gun they sounded exactly the same.
Subsonic is subsonic.

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
Sorry bastardsonofelvis, but I don't agree that a subsonic is subsonic. I do use a meter to gage my subsonic ammo and the 158 is quieter than 148 subs, both on the meter and to my ear and others have said the same, the 158 is a softer thud, also sometimes although rarely the 148gr subs sound like a super down range I hear a crack... it's weird but happens. The 158gr subs I never have this happen. Another way I have noticed a sound difference is when I shoot the MP5SD using 124gr Nato it's very noticably quieter than 148gr subs through the MP5 suppressed but the 158gr. subs are almost as quite as the SD much more so than a 148 round when shot side by side.
I did a test with Speer LM 147 and PrviP 158gr staggered in a mag and I couldn’t discern any difference through my SP5 with B&T 3lug qd can.
Maybe a db meter could, behind the gun they sounded exactly the same.
Subsonic is subsonic.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Not an MP5 but I do have a Zenith Z5RS with 3 lug and a Wolf.
From quietest to loudest to my ear in my set up:
Fiocchi 158
IMI 158
Lawman 147
AE 147

Anything lighter gets louder quickly.

·
Premium Member
815 Posts
I understand what you are saying. Outside I only notice a slightly different change in tone. Indoor is more noticeable db. Italian (round nose) Fiocchi 158 is the best. American Fiocchi 158 is also good. It is my go to subsonic and the round that I compare everything else.

·
Priest of the P7
4,793 Posts
Sorry bastardsonofelvis, but I don't agree that a subsonic is subsonic. I do use a meter to gage my subsonic ammo and the 158 is quieter than 148 subs, both on the meter and to my ear and others have said the same, the 158 is a softer thud, also sometimes although rarely the 148gr subs sound like a super down range I hear a crack... it's weird but happens. The 158gr subs I never have this happen. Another way I have noticed a sound difference is when I shoot the MP5SD using 124gr Nato it's very noticably quieter than 148gr subs through the MP5 suppressed but the 158gr. subs are almost as quite as the SD much more so than a 148 round when shot side by side.
Could be that I’m already too def to hear the difference. Could be not all cans are created equal. Could be that at some point empirically measured dB differences are academic yet inspire suggestion to the ear.

All I’m saying is that I don’t hear the difference, even when I’m really trying to, and certainly not enough to influence ammo purchases.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
This is all very interesting, but frankly, I’m not interested in knowing which brand of ammunition those of us on this forum think is the quietest. What I want to know is what brand of ammunition and what brand of suppressors the folks in Hollywood are using. Be honest. Has any one here found that perfect combination of suppressor and ammunition that results in your gun producing that almost inaudible “ffffffffffp”? And yet the folks in Hollywood get these results consistently. What is their secret? Are the ammo companies holding out on us? Or do the suppressor manufacturers have secret contracts to sell their best stuff exclusively to Hollywood, leaving the rest of us to use inferior designs? These are the questions with which we need to be grappling. I don’t know about you, but I think it’s a conspiracy!

:360:

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
^^^ LMAO
I certainly agree that various ammo in the "subsonic family" will perform slightly different depending on the suppressor... and certain people really, really, really want their new can and ammo to be the "quietest on the market". It can get to be an actual syndrome I think, that at times can bend reality.
For me, the best combo I've put together is an MK-9K with Alabama Ammo "Special K". (Still working off the half pallet that I split with my kid brother.) After that, I would say the 158 Fiocchi.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I really like the Special K ammo also. I just haven't been able to find it for a long time. Of course, with the run on ammo currently going on, any ammo is difficult to find, including subsonic ammo. I would have thought that subsonic ammo would not be that popular since it generally costs more than the regular velocity ammo, but even the expensive subsonic ammo is impossible to find now.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I have a confession. I bought some blue polymer coated bullet remanufactured with an 880FPS spec for more than I'd like to admit, but cheaper than I was finding even AE and Lawman 147 gr FMJ/TMJ when I could find it. Hopeful that it will be rather quiet and soft.

Before I found that, I was finding web listings for 'minimum power' PCC specific ammo at some specialty ammo manufacturers, but OOS at each I found. That was like .60/round to start. One vendor said he expects 6-9 months before he gets more primers.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Another vote for the Fiocchi 158gr.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,335 Posts
Re: Special K: I’ve heard great things about their ammo many years ago but never purchased any. Does anyone know if the company that makes it is still in business?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Re: Special K: I’ve heard great things about their ammo many years ago but never purchased any. Does anyone know if the company that makes it is still in business?
I think they may still be in business and turned them up on a google search, but they have no website. If you are into reloading they have load data of what the Special K is.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts