HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"without" the 3 lug barrel, is there any of the clone companies making one like the original "K" gun?

V

·
Registered
611 Posts
I beleive Bobcat has some K models that had the factory K barrel in them. You should note that an MP5K variants came with both the cut barrel and the barrel with a tri-lug on its end. The tri lug allowed the addition of a supressor to be installend and to be used with the K suitcase.

So if you are interested in a identical clone of the factory K, you will have it with either one. I like the fact that my MP5K-PDW has the tri-lug so I can shoot it with a supressor on it. All you have to do is change out the locking piece and you are all set.

Good luck.

·
Registered
6,399 Posts
The Coharie CA89k is currently in production and many here have bought them this year. I'm not sure if that answers your question or not, as I'm not entirely sure what a "k" barrel is.

·
Registered
242 Posts
The Coharie CA89k is currently in production and many here have bought them this year. I'm not sure if that answers your question or not, as I'm not entirely sure what a "k" barrel is.
The "original"(before the advent of the folding stock that changed the k into the pdw-personal defense weapon) k barrel was cut off right past the front sight-like the SP89, it didn't have the three lug at the muzzle. I suppose that they thought the addition of a suppressor on the gun without a stock would yield the gun to be "unwieldy" or awkward. When HK approached Choate and the folding stock was developed, the gun became better adapted for a suppressor, so then the extended three lug barrel was utilized on the k model. All of Coharie Arms models feature the three lug barrels. It would be possible to buy a Coharie receiver on Gunbroker, then all the parts for the build from Gordon Miller or Adam Webber and have a 'smith build it with the shorter, original, non-three lug barrel. Adam Webber has original, used MP5k barrels(no three lug) with the front sight still attached for $195. I considered this also, but it will be substantially more expensive. On the upnote, you could have an all HK parts gun(except the receiver) and this is ok as pistols don't have to adhere to section 922r(U.S. parts count). And if you register it as an SBR it is exempt from 922r also. Just an idea.

Edited to add: After research, it appears that HK did produce the MP5K with the three lug and without the stock, which was the MP5KN. I guess this is the model that the Coharie Arms guns mimic.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I personally like the lugged look, also makes me more sure where the muzzle is at. You'll be surprised how close your support hand gets close to muzzle. The K grip in a way prevents the hand slipping out too far, but without it, you will have to be more careful. If you must have it, you can always have gunsmith cut off the 3 lug tip, then recrown it. It can be easily done.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I prefer the extended three lug barrel also, I would assume it also gives a probably VERY slight increase in velocity.

·
Registered
6,399 Posts
Yes, I too have one of the new CA89k pistols. It was indeed made to be nearly identical to a specific HK design. I like it quite a bit. I hope to eventually get a supressor for it.

I need to go ahead and SBR it.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
definatly...

thank you for all the response.
I wield towards the "no-lug" look. I dont know why, just what I am used to. My wife is wanting one and I am trying to make it happen.

She does not like the folding stock setup, so I think i just bought a piece that will allow a K model to accept a retractable stock.

I have, bouncing back and forth, the idea to get a custom V53K. I spoke to them already and Rex said no problem, but I don not know what I will wind up with in looks. I am positive that it will operate fine, being from Vector, just wish I had a pic.

Again, thank you for all the info.

·
Registered
242 Posts
thank you for all the response.
I wield towards the "no-lug" look. I dont know why, just what I am used to. My wife is wanting one and I am trying to make it happen.

She does not like the folding stock setup, so I think i just bought a piece that will allow a K model to accept a retractable stock.

I have, bouncing back and forth, the idea to get a custom V53K. I spoke to them already and Rex said no problem, but I don not know what I will wind up with in looks. I am positive that it will operate fine, being from Vector, just wish I had a pic.

Again, thank you for all the info.
Be aware that an original SP89 and Coharie Arms CA89 will have the metal receiver reinforcing tabs on the rear of the receiver. This will prevent the use of a collapsible stock, even with an adapter. The tabs will have to be removed, or you could buy one of the Vector Clones that didn't have the tabs in place. Thompson Crazy has one for sell.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts