HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm seriously debating my next HK - currently have the DA/SA HK45 and P30S V3 (9mm). I've had so much fun with my P30 that I want to get a P30L. I was originally torn btwn the two versions in my original purchase. Though I don't expect to find too much difference btwn the weapons, I would like to perhaps add something new to the mix. One thought was to pick up a LEM version (which I had another thread on for input); another thought would be to keep it DA/SA but to change the caliber. Am I missing anything not having a .40 other than more expense rounds. Additionally, I know from my reading of the forums that many of you have both P30 and P30L's (not to mention HK45 and HK45c). What prompted you to get them? Did you keep them the same variant such as LEM, or DA/SA etc? I also suspect that sometime I'd pick up a vertical shoulder holster for the HK45 and I believe I've noted in my readings in this forum that it could accommodate an P30L as well. Any thoughts and input would (as always be appreciated). I've picked up a lot of knowledge from this forum and am lucky (I guess) that the gunshops in NVA don't have too many HK's to look at or I'd probably have even more difficulty in deciding btwn USPs, P2Ks etc etc.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
the gunshops in NVA don't have too many HK's to look at or I'd probably have even more difficulty in deciding btwn USPs, P2Ks etc etc.
Have you checked with Virginia Arms Co in Manassass? They're a stocking HK dealer, and always had a bunch of HK's when I walked in. They're also the only gunshop I've ever been to with intelligent, knowledgeable employees versus the usual numpty that is trying to push their own ego-based uninformed agenda.

·
Banned
4,248 Posts
My advice: skip the .40 and the shoulder holster

If you want to move a big bullet, you have a .45. If you want velocity and capacity, a well-chosen 9mm can compete with the .40. The .40 isn't going to offer you much other than having to buy another kind of ammo to keep in stock. The .40 doesn't have much in the way of variety for loads 165 or 180gr are pretty much your options (not including that flat nosed range ammo).

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have you checked with Virginia Arms Co in Manassass? They're a stocking HK dealer, and always had a bunch of HK's when I walked in. They're also the only gunshop I've ever been to with intelligent, knowledgeable employees versus the usual numpty that is trying to push their own ego-based uninformed agenda.
No I haven't but thanks for the lead. I may have to make a trip there. Didn't know they existed. Holding the weapon and talking to someone who know them would probably help the decision process a great Deal. Thanks,

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

If you want to move a big bullet, you have a .45. If you want velocity and capacity, a well-chosen 9mm can compete with the .40. The .40 isn't going to offer you much other than having to buy another kind of ammo to keep in stock. The .40 doesn't have much in the way of variety for loads 165 or 180gr are pretty much your options (not including that flat nosed range ammo).
Thanks. These were my own initial thoughts exactly. Being Logistically orientated I appreciate keeping varieties down, and additionally, I'd be able to utilize my P30 9mm mags as well.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
No I haven't but thanks for the lead. I may have to make a trip there. Didn't know they existed. Holding the weapon and talking to someone who know them would probably help the decision process a great Deal. Thanks,
They have an HK armorer on hand as well......I think his name is Rob.

If you see an older guy working the counter, check his hip and you'll find a well used HK P7M8.

Good dudes.

Also, if you go west from Va Arms Co and cross under 234, right after 234 on the left is Guns'N'Ammo. They always had some HK's on hand as well (not as many as Va Arms). Caveat emptor: They don't have the Va Arms Co staff.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Thanks. These were my own initial thoughts exactly. Being Logistically orientated I appreciate keeping varieties down, and additionally, I'd be able to utilize my P30 9mm mags as well.
Ditto to all. I like .40 fine, just can't justify it already doing both .45 and 9mm. Not to mention the wife's .380, 5.56mm, 7.62mm, and 12 gauge.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts

agree with this answer. what ammo do you have on the shelf?

·
Premium Member
1,737 Posts
+100

I was in there last week and they had a few in the used case, and 10+ in the new.

Also they just doubled the shop size, so they will be expanding the offerings quite a bit I am told.

·
Registered
794 Posts
40 was my caliber of choice for many years and I carried 40 on duty. Now I have migrated back to 9mm and 45. I agree with the others that 40 does not give you that much more effectiveness over 9mm, especially with today's high tech, premium ammo. I have several pistols chambered in 40. They are not going any where but I probably will not buy any more pistols chambered in 40. One thing to consider though: During the last ammo crunch 40 could be found readily when other pistol calibers could not. There is lots of 40 ammo in the USA due to its huge popularity with LE and subsequent following with shooters. It could be a wise move to own at least one pistol chambered in 40. Bill

·
Registered
367 Posts
If you decide to purchase a pistol, keep it the same action as what you trained with and know. You can always buy a LEM kit for any of your HKs down the road and test it out. As far as caliber is concerned, that's a personal preference. Maybe that money is better spent on ammo and training over a new pistol.... Just a thought
Kravur

1 - 12 of 12 Posts